Car liveries this year are so... boring.

Posted by flat tyre 
Re: Car liveries this year are so... boring.
Date: May 07, 2006 04:12PM
Posted by: IWE
What good people can see in this year Williams? That livery is so random! No anykind design just some crappy lines without logic. Even Super Aguri and Midland cars looks better.
1 more random livery is what Bmw Sauber is using. :S

McLaren, Toro Rosso , RBR and Honda are bestlooking cars this year I think.

Also Ferrari, Renault and toyota looks ok but so old..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: May 08, 2006 12:27AM
Posted by: madotter
how can you say Honda!?!?!?! its just BAR. How lazy must the designers be!?! I hope they didnt get paid for that...
Date: May 08, 2006 01:32AM
Posted by: LS.
well the BMW Sauber and Williams livireys look like a photo negative of each other

Cant surely be coincidence that they both have the same sort of layout except inverted colours

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 08, 2006 10:53AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Honda is terrible. Its a BAR with the death logos splattered all over it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 08, 2006 11:28AM
Posted by: Team CLR
"well the BMW Sauber and Williams livireys look like a photo negative of each other "

I also noticed that. Keeping in mind how good the Sauber liveries have looked in the past 3-4 years one would have expected better from BMW.

The STR livery may look a bit gaudy, but at least they've put some thought into it.

Honda's has to be one of the worst, particularly from the camera on the airbox, where you see a huge red blob on either side of the driver, keeping in mind that this is the same lot that came up with the brilliant 555 livery used in China last year, I'm disappointed.

IMO all the manufacturer based teams are trying to look to "corporate" they really should at least try to make their cars more interesting.
Date: May 08, 2006 12:04PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
this year's grid is a disaster. the mclaren is probably the best of a poor bunch. the ferrari is as good as ever, renault's isn't bad, but a change would be nice. bmw's is terrible, honda's is terrible, the STR is crap, and so is the super aguri. only the midland looks half-way decent, but unfortunately looks too much like a mclaren from a distance.
Date: May 08, 2006 12:46PM
Ok my opinion-

-Ferrari - Day-glow-orange, not the scarlet we have been missing since 1997. Livery doesnt really fit the shape still (never has since the F2003 GA) and the bar code stripes for the NT car suck

-Renault - The wings dark blue is HORRIBLE and ruins the overall look of the blue and yellow

-McLaren - Fantastic in theory, but just looks grey on track. The red wings are horrid.

-Honda - Ugly BAR with death stickers.

-BMW Sauber - Its ok. Bit plain, but nice

-Williams - same as BMW but reversed! Plain, but nice! Overall i prefer the blue of the Williams

-Toyota - Its a Toyota...what more do i say?

-RBR - Plain and simple again. Typical Red Bull coolness

-STR - w00t. Looks fantastic in photos, but not sure i like it on track...

-Midland - Duno why people like this. I hate it. Its a grey and orange (sorry, its not red, its day-glow-ferrari style orange) mess.

-Super Aguri - Its just white with Honda stickers...no sponsors makes it look a bit embaressing.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 08, 2006 12:56PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah I like the Williams generally (shape and livery) but i don't like those sky blue stripes, they spoil the overall blue and white combo.

but BMW is utter boring, white car with a few lines all over it, with blue sidepods.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 08, 2006 01:27PM
Posted by: Dahie
Ferrari - As disappointing as all the years before, to much white and the red is off

McLaren - Very sensitive to lighting. With the right weather it's one hell of a car, but on grey days, it's just dull ... oh and yes the red ... well ...

Renault - Solid, nothing wrong with it

Toyota - Hotrod, the livery is nothing new, but still a pain in the ass for painters ...

Red Bull - Well not sure if it's better than last year, little revised, but overall still nice to watch.

Toro Rosso - Great job on the bull, hard job for the painter, on track it looks a bit odd, but still a genuie design.

Super Aguri - Great job, plain and simple but great lines and I love it for it. I prefer the pre-imola version a bit.

Midland - Ok, not my fav but definately not he worst I've seen.

Williams - a bland copy of my RaceCar, I've got scatches of some RC-14 studies with very similar lines, I guess I was hacked.
Anyway, I still like it very much.

BMW Sauber - disappointing after the cool C24 last year.

Honda - Poor sponsors, the design is, well ok, although it's a copy of last years style and the 006 the year before looked nicer imho.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: May 08, 2006 04:53PM
Posted by: Zyklef
Here we go:

Renault - The blue and yellow combination is rather lovely, but, as Dave mentiond, the dark blue spoils it, it was much nicer in 02/03. Also, looks rather cluttered in places.

McLaren - Great idea with the chrome car, in the right light it looks fantastic, red needs to be darker.

Ferrari - Nice livery but I do wish they would go back to the scarlet red of old.

Toyota - Still pretty much the same livery as forever but it's clean and works.

Williams - Nice livery, looks gorgeous on this car but the pre-season livery was better even on the FW27, can only imagine how good it would look on the FW28.

Honda - The biggest dissapointment for me this year. I was hoping for something along the lines of the '60s GP cars or the Accord/Civic touring cars of recent years, but no, it's last year's BAR (the worst of the BAR liveries) with the Honda shade of off-white. What would be better would be either the Lucky Strike livery of the '99 car or a 555 car instead.

Red Bull - I've always liked the Red Bull livery, clean, simple and not cluttered at all.

BMW Sauber - I was expecting more (and a tad of Petronas green) but it's another clean and simple design that works.

Midland - When I first saw that top down artist's impression I thought it was a cool blend of colours and simplicity. Unfortunately, the shade of 'red' is nowhere near what they originally posted and the mass of sponsors really spoils this car.

Scuderia Toro Rosso - Great idea that doesn't work quite as well in practice. Thumbs up for trying something new though.

Super Aguri - Quite a nice little livery I think, might look better on their own chassis, though. Looks more like a Honda than the Honda does!
Date: May 08, 2006 05:13PM
Posted by: Muks_C
a pic of the MF1 showing how orange the red actually is, like MS' helmet, in the correct light:

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 08, 2006 05:41PM
"What would be better would be either the Lucky Strike livery of the '99 car"

It would, I have no idea why they don't use it.

There might be a small chance that Super Aguri are holding back on some kind of livery until they have their own car, already a sponsor could be seen on the airbox, so it is possible.
Date: May 09, 2006 09:18AM
Posted by: Dahie
I doubt it, there are regulations that a livery may not change too heavily during the season without an agreement of all other teams. That's why BAR only repainted the 2004 friday-cars, why even the china-versions always were in the usual design and why McLaren also wasn't likely to change their design last year when they switched to Johnny Walker.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: May 09, 2006 10:22AM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
Which is a terrible and largely pointless rule.

Date: May 09, 2006 11:34AM
Posted by: Zcott
I think the Honda is one of the nicest liveries out there. It's clean and simple with good colours. Also good is the Williams.

Not good: McLaren, Red Bull, BMW Sauber, Midland, Super Aguri. All the others are just ok. :P

Date: May 09, 2006 11:56AM
It's clean and simple with good colours.

WTF! CLEAN!?

Lucky Strike:

2x Front wing endplates
3x Front wing
1x Nose
1x Front of cockpit
2x Mirrors
2x Front of sidepods
2x Top of sidepods
2x Airbox
2x Stupid wing things on the front of the sidepods
2x Sidepods
2x Engine Cover
2x Rear Wing Endplates
___

Its just a BAR with Death ads plastered all over it in every place they could find! Its not clean or tidy! Its just an excerise on getting the name on the car as many times as possible!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 01:39PM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 09, 2006 06:35PM
I read on Formula1.com in an interview with Nick Fry that Honda have only recently started plans to deal with sponsorship after the tobacco ban, here's the quote:

"Q: Any idea who will replace British American Tobacco next year as sponsor? Any wish list?
NF: Well, yes. We have hired 19 Entertainment, and with them we are very confident to have chosen the right direction, as they have a total different perspective on how to do things. They are very familiar with the pop music world, as they are amongst the world leaders in the entertainment industry. I am pretty confident that people will see a totally different approach to motor racing sponsorship."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 06:44PM by Team CLR.
Date: May 09, 2006 07:09PM
Posted by: tripleM
Boyband Button?

Date: May 09, 2006 07:15PM
Posted by: bestobritish
the MF1 livery looks very different when seen for real, when i went to the silverstone test i thought they had changed it to stop the confusion with mclaren lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 09, 2006 08:50PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2x Stupid wing things on the front of the
> sidepods

Its not on that pic, but from the onboards you will see that there are two more on the inside of the "Stupid wing things on the front of the sidepods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 08:51PM by Race_Monkey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy