Murray Used To Be Rubbish At F1 Commentary Shocker!!!!

Posted by Bongo_Pete 
Murray Used To Be Rubbish At F1 Commentary Shocker!!!!
Date: September 16, 2003 02:05PM
Posted by: Bongo_Pete
I was watching one of my dads F1 tapes from the 1979 when it was Arnoux- Villeneuve at Dijon. It had Murray do the commentary and he was truly awful maybe even worse than Allen (well that's impossible actually). He had no emotion at all really, as sevral times he stated calmly that Arnoux had gone past etc..

He had one moment when Villeneuve passed Arnoux again, when he got a bit excited

To put it simply you could actually understand what he was saying!

-------------------------------------
The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going
Re: Murray Used To Be Rubbish At F1 Commentary Shocker!!!!
Date: September 16, 2003 02:33PM
Posted by: DrDougal
we all start low and make our way up.

The important thing is Murray was a legend and always will be no matter how good or bad he is...

ASS - Kick it, or Kiss it!
Date: September 16, 2003 03:28PM
Posted by: Echo1
I miss Murray. Sobs...
Date: September 16, 2003 03:46PM
Posted by: Pooky
i badly miss murray!

my grandad died this year, and it felt the same as murray retiring from commentating because i never saw or heard him often again:(

Date: September 16, 2003 03:47PM
Posted by: McBain
I just watched the 2001 USA GP again today with Murray commentating for the last time. He made mistakes and got flustered on occasions but it is the sheer passion and excitement he portrayed into F1 that everyone loved him for. His commentaries just got you excited as well and also gave you something to laugh about when he made a mistake. I miss him dearly and think it will be a long time (maybe never) before an F1 commentator gives the same kind of feeling.

"Ayrton Senna crosses the line, you can see his exultation he knows he is the world champion." -- Murrary Walker Suzuka 1988
Date: September 16, 2003 03:52PM
i dont think murray walker can EVER be replaced

he was a true legend, someone i have SO much respect for

every driver and every jorunalist in the pitlane new who murray walker was.

his passion, his excitement, it made even dull races exciting

out of all the races i will EVER listen to in my life, the ones where murray commentated will be the ones i fondly remember

i just remember irvine winning austria 99, with murray in his euphoric tone shouting ' And Eddie Irvine, Brilliantly, Brilliantly, wins the austrian grand prix.........'

his commentatry brought a tingle to your spine, goosebumps on your neck, it was so emotive, with such passion and feeling

i really badly miss him

Date: September 16, 2003 04:00PM
Posted by: matthewp
totally agree powerhorse. I've heard Murray's commentary on the Villeneuve:Arnoux battle at Dijon and theres nothing wrong with it.
Murray was a legend and after reading his book i've got even more respect for him, he's had one hell of a life! :)

Post Edited (09-16-03 23:01)

Date: September 16, 2003 04:02PM
yep. ive got his book too.

he is one person i will never forget in my life time

Date: September 16, 2003 05:13PM
Posted by: Imran
Yer have to agree,although i dont know y so many people mock Allen, he makes me laugh so much,and has lots of goss on F1 which i havent found out from websites, he can get people excited,i was out of my seat when monty was doing his qualy 2 lap in monza. Ok hes not as good as murray,but hes much better than commentators on SKY digital used to be,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
oh yes, Murray was a champ. My favourite quote is from the start of the 2001 Monaco GP

"One light, two lights, three lights on, four lights on, five laps on......GO GO GO GO GO"

which was then followed by

"Schumacher leads Barrichello leads Couthard leads"...etc etc.

Date: September 17, 2003 12:31AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I was lucky enought to met murray outside his hotel at the Australian grand prix. We were speaking to him for about 10mins, i was happy, hehe YAY!

sobs
Missu murray

Date: September 17, 2003 12:53AM
Posted by: Covfan
James Allen is a complete fool, From talking about rubber bricks during the San Marino GP to describing how nice Da Matta's voice is, "Like a tango Dancer"

Date: September 17, 2003 03:58AM
actaully 'like a samba dancer' :) (he is brazilian)

sometimes allen can be all right, but i just hate it when he is talking, and you blatantly know that brundle is thinking 'what a fool'

ok, not that harsh but near!

Date: September 17, 2003 09:19AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I've heard Murray's commentary on the Villeneuve:Arnoux battle at Dijon and theres nothing wrong with it

Nothing wrong with it? It's bloody amazing! Murray's commentary adds a whole new dimension to that piece of footage. He doesn't get anything muddled up, and he keeps right up with the action, and almost runs out of breath at a few points, but still he went on!

I can't believe anyone would think his commentary for those last few laps at Dijon '79 is poor.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: September 17, 2003 09:32AM
alex just out of curiosity,

do you know what corner MS is locking his brakes at in your sig?

i think brundle does think that allens a twat. when allen makes whats supposed to be a joke, brundle doesnt laugh. i remember melbourne 2002 and Allen associating Montoya or someone with Osama Bin Laden... i cant remember exactly what it was but it was meant to be funny. there was silence over the microphone for like 12 seconds until Brundle sed sumink completely off that topic. i dont brundle likes Allen at all.

i think they should have an older person in their 50s/60s they tend to get excited a lot easier.
Date: September 17, 2003 10:32AM
Posted by: Muks_C
James Allen was a lot more tolerable when he was in the pit lane doing the job that Ted Kravitz does now, when we only heard from him a few times during a GP.
Date: September 17, 2003 10:40AM
i want another driver to co-commentate with brundle

but he has to be a person that can get excited easily, that can raise the tention and get everyone going like murray used to

i listen to MW 909 BBC Radio sometimes for the qualy 2 on saturdays (im at work) and that commentator is really good!

there are loads of commentators better than Allen but i dont know why ITV wont change.

I suppose they think Allen (and he is) is a well known ITV man now

Date: September 17, 2003 11:01AM
do you know what corner MS is locking his brakes at in your sig?

Yup, it's the first corner at the revised Nurburgring (the right-hand hairpin). Funnily enough, I've got the onboard lap on which he did that on my computer. I'm always trying to see if I can see the photographer on the right!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: September 17, 2003 11:05AM
In fact, I reckon this must be pretty much the exact moment the photograph in my signature is taken:

Interesting to see it from two different perspectives!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy