How to handle *SPOILERS*!

Posted by Morbid 
How to handle *SPOILERS*!
Date: March 17, 2006 12:10AM
Posted by: Morbid
Since we had a little friction about spoilers and the forum policy on that issue last week, we have decided to clarify some points.

1) Why do we have a spoiler policy?
Some of us have jobs, family birthdays, study projects or whatever, that prevents us from seeing the race live. Having a spoiler policy ensures that forumers can safely use the forums, without having their Grand Prix experience, erhm... spoiled.

2) I want to talk about whatever I want, and I need the whole forum to do so! Can't those that have not seen the race just sod off?
No, this is a forum, and having people visit and participate in discussion is what keeps us alive. We want them to come here, even if they have a weekend job, or they don't get live F1 broadcasts. Show some consideration.

3) What is a spoiler?
A post that divulges information best left to be a surprise and/or something that causes spoilage of the specific Grand Prix experience, for those that have not yet seen the event, where the event is considered to be all the practice, qualification and race sessions of that Grand Prix.

4) Where shall I post when I am all giddy, jumping up and down with excitment, about a crash, who got pole or who won the race?
Do not make a post with a huge spoiler in the header, like this "YAY, Alonsononsonosnono on POLE!!!"... For each F1 event, we will have a race thread, that collects spoilers. It will be clearly marked as such, and will be put up as a sticky for several days. Generally, we will sticky it on thursday afternoon/evenings, and un-sticky it some 48 hours after the race, normally tuesday afternoon/evening.

5) When is something a spoiler, and when is not?
As long as the race thread is stickied, information about that Grand Prix will be considered as possible spoilers. Once the thread is not a sticky any more, discussion is free again. Thus people will generally have 48 hours to see a taped race.

6) I have something that I really must talk about, but I can't fit it into the discussion in the stickied race thread! What shall I do?
Yes, we know this can happen. The point of the spoiler policy is to prevent spoilers, not to stiffle discussion. If you must, you can create a new topic, with spoilers in the discussion, provided that you CLEARLY MARK the thread as having spoilers in the header.

7) What shall I do if I see a spoiler?
Do not quote the message and reply, as it is likely that a moderator will fix the spoiler message, leaving yours unseen and untouched, and then you are the one being reported as leaving the spoiler in the thread. Click the "Report This Message" button, and a moderator will appear soon after and edit/delete the message, or insert a *SPOILER* warning in the header of the thread.

8) I have a question not covered here...
Post in this thread and lets see if we can find an answer, or perhaps improve the service in this area.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2006 12:17AM by Morbid.
Re: How to handle *SPOILERS*!
Date: March 17, 2006 01:06AM
Posted by: cynic
I think that pretty much covers it all. Nice post bro!:)

Date: March 26, 2006 10:19AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
i'd just like to add a small footnote regarding msn. i know its outside of forum jurisdiction sp?) so here's just an open letter.

now i know some of you may be thinking "does this include me?"

yes, if you use msn - or any other chat service, it certainly does concern you. read on;

bear in mind it should also be considered courtesy to not post any race specific information in your msn name. in australia we dont get the races live, they're usually shown 1-2 hours later that night depending on the race. therefore, it can be hugely annoying to be using the computer and see some clown sign in with "ALONSO WINS!!!"

...there are precautions one can take such as setting your status to 'busy' (which stops the signin prompt), but still...please just refrain from it. nobody can stop you if you absolutely feel the need to tell your contact list who won the race (even though a large percentage probably wouldn't even know who alonso is...) but just think of others that do know who he is and may not have seen the race yet.

i cant stop you, nobody can stop you, but please have some consideration

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 10:28AM by Red_Bull.
Date: March 27, 2006 04:26PM
Posted by: sasjag
/me checks msn list

everyone on my list would know who alonso is :D ;)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 02, 2006 07:25AM
Posted by: Advong
Would it be sensible for the fly away races that run during the night to make another thread on race day for people watching the event on replay. That way it can be discussed as live without risking seeing spoilers in the spoiler forum
Date: April 02, 2006 09:48AM
Posted by: Nickv
Then you should do that for every race as not everybody lives in Europe.
Date: April 02, 2006 11:39AM
Posted by: Lemming
and for every time zone in case it's all repeated at different times in different countries

Date: April 02, 2006 07:27PM
Posted by: Muks_C
why not just stay away from the race-thread till you've seen it?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 12, 2006 01:28PM
Posted by: Team CLR
"why not just stay away from the race-thread till you've seen it?"

Agreed,it's just plain common sense.
Date: April 12, 2006 08:41PM
Posted by: Red Sam
I tend to agree - if you want to discuss the race "as live", then use MSN.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: April 13, 2006 01:59PM
no, i meant you can discuss what you want at any time about the race in the race-thread, but anyone not wanting the results to be spoiled if they haven't seen it yet should stay away from the race-thread.

that seems fair to me. it's common sense to not go into a race-thread if the race is on a time-delay in your country.

i watched the re-run of the Australian GP in the afternoon, so simply didn't go on the internet till i had seen it.

Date: April 13, 2006 03:07PM
Posted by: b-tone
it is an "F1" forum, so that should be enough of a spoiler. If someone hasn't seen the race and are thick enough to visit an F1 forum, then who's saying they won't visit the thread with 'spoiler' all over it?
oh well, on with the nanny forum :|

____
Tony

Date: April 14, 2006 02:01AM
Posted by: chet
After my alarm didnt go off for the Aus GP the one place i thought id never visit would be here lol.
But i did... But then was clever enough to stay away from the spoilers, although my sister did tell me

"haha Jenson Button crashed" Which pretty much spoiled it for me :P

Even though he did not crash :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 14, 2006 02:59PM
i hope you shot your sister in the head. that's what any committed F1 fan would do...:)

Date: April 15, 2006 10:36PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
b-tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it is an "F1" forum, so that should be enough of a
> spoiler. If someone hasn't seen the race and are
> thick enough to visit an F1 forum, then who's
> saying they won't visit the thread with 'spoiler'
> all over it?
> oh well, on with the nanny forum :|
>
> ____
> Tony
>
>

QFT! :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: April 19, 2006 12:49AM
Both of you have failed your test in basic reading and understanding. Re-read and re-understand point 2 - and if you payed more attention, you would know, that spoilers appear in all sorts of threads, all over the forums.

No spoiler policy = your race is at risk if you read ANY thread on ANY forum here.

Saying that people who visit F1 forums when they have not seen the race, will visit the spoiler thread, and thus ruin their race, and make the spoiler policy effort in vain, is an argumentatorial trick called "Reductio ad Absurdum" - or "reduce to the absurd (and thus disregard, discredit or whatever)" - you can Quote it For Truth, but in any selfrespecting community that seeks truth, it is considered a path to fallacy and a "below the belt" rhetorical trick used by those that seek to win an argument, rather than find truth.

Q.E.D. ;)

-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> b-tone Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it is an "F1" forum, so that should be enough
> of a
> > spoiler. If someone hasn't seen the race and
> are
> > thick enough to visit an F1 forum, then
> who's
> > saying they won't visit the thread with
> 'spoiler'
> > all over it?
> > oh well, on with the nanny forum :|
> >
> > ____
> > Tony
> >
> >
>
>
> QFT!
>
> -----------------
>
> I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds

Date: April 19, 2006 03:17AM
Posted by: Team CLR
I still agree with muks_c when he said that if someone hasn't seen a race, then they should stay away from a thread that CLEARLY discusses the race in question, how could that be so difficult for people to understand?
Date: April 19, 2006 09:31AM
Well if people actually do visit the spoiler thread, or any other thread marked with a *spoiler*, knowing they shouldn't, then they will get no help and no pity from me or any of the other mods.

Date: April 19, 2006 04:04PM
@ Morbid, who do you mean by "both of you", is it B-Tone and Qwerty, or am I in there?

Date: April 19, 2006 04:16PM
B-Tone and Qwerty. I thought the quoted (Qwerty) quote (B-Tone) made it clear. Sorry about that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy