Info On Historical F1 Technical Regulations?

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
Info On Historical F1 Technical Regulations?
Date: March 04, 2006 09:33AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of a site where the technical regulations for past F1 seasons might be posted or discussed? I would like to know which years refueling in the pits were banned, tire changing banned, etc., as well as any engine or chassis changes to the regs.

I'm most interested in how they changed the regulations throughout the 80's and 90's. Any ideas where to look?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Re: Info On Historical F1 Technical Regulations?
Date: March 04, 2006 10:49AM
Posted by: adamjackdrew
You can try [www.fia.com] but I don't know how comprehensive their lists are. I know that the 2004-2006 regs are there, but haven't looked deeper.

A
Date: March 04, 2006 12:31PM
Posted by: mikef1
Don't know of any site myself but i know a fair bit about F1 in the '80s and '90s if you want to ask any questions. To answer some of your questions: Brabham introduced refuelling in 1982 and it was banned in 1984.
Tyre changing has never been banned before 2005.
Turbos were banned for 1989 when it became 3.5 litre engines and they were banned in 1995 for 3 litre engines.
The first carbon fibre chassis was introduced in 1981 with Mclaren and Lotus.
In 1988, a rule was put in that the drivers feet had to be behind the front axle for safety, so the cars became longer at the front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2006 12:45PM by mikef1.
Date: March 04, 2006 10:15PM
How long did the ban on refueling last? I know FIA kept messing around with fuel tank capacity and boost pressure when they tried to neuter the turbos in the 1980's.

Was refueling reinstated when normally aspirated engines became standard again for the 89 season?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: March 04, 2006 10:40PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Refuelling was inserted all round in 1994 i believe.
Date: March 04, 2006 10:51PM
Posted by: loren
Date: March 05, 2006 01:19AM
Posted by: Muks_C
yes, Mini is correct, refuelling was brought back in for the '94 season. remember Benetton tampered with a seal/filter in the rig, to get the fuel flowing faster, which is what's supposed to have caused Verstappens spectacular Hockenheim pitfire.

i believe Irvine also had a pitfire, can't remember which race it was though (may have been Spa).

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 05, 2006 01:56AM
loren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> look here
>
>

Thanks for the link Loren. That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Muks, that Verstappen fire was quite spectacular. I've seen still photos of the Benetton rig operator completely engulfed in flames. It's hard to believe after seeing that photo that no one was seriously hurt!

Date: March 05, 2006 01:59AM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah one of those pitcrew was Steve Matchett, author of The Mechanic's Tale and Life In The Fast Lane. not sure if he was the fuel rig man or one of the other guys though, read it quite a while ago now.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 05, 2006 01:47PM
Posted by: tripleM
"I've seen still photos of the Benetton rig operator completely engulfed in flames."

I believe that Mosley(can't remember his first name now) got second degree burns.

Date: March 05, 2006 01:52PM
Posted by: mikef1
I still remember Murrays reaction to the fire when it happened, by all acounts it looked really, really bad at the time. Thank God it was put out quickly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy