The Qualy Format

Posted by chet 
The Qualy Format
Date: February 04, 2006 11:57PM
Posted by: chet
Could provide some wierred strategys and grids.

I didnt know the last 12 people can refuel the cars before the race...

So crap teams like STR, Midland, can run on fumes, then refuel.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: The Qualy Format
Date: February 05, 2006 12:04AM
Posted by: six degrees
not really, cos if they run too light and end up in the top eleven then they'll be starting the race on no fuel ;-)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:12AM
Posted by: chet
lol. yea
but then they are kinda too crap not to enter the top 11 even with low fuel tbh. i should have mentioned that.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 05, 2006 12:12AM
Posted by: Muks_C
now we have Super Duper Happy Fun Racing on board, is the split 11:11?

so how many do we lose after the 1st 15 mins? then how many after the next 15?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 05, 2006 12:14AM
Posted by: six degrees
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol. yea
> but then they are kinda too crap not to enter the
> top 11 even with low fuel tbh. i should have
> mentioned that.
>
>
>
>

you don't know that :P
Date: February 05, 2006 12:22AM
Posted by: NickKK
Yeah with tyre changes teams may opt for longer stints, leading to heavier initial fuel loads and thus a larger gap between light and heavy cars, fair enough for the lowest of the low but what about those just above them...this rule is really silly I think, but then again surprise surprise ;)

Date: February 05, 2006 12:34AM
Posted by: danm
so what happens when drivers crash into eachother.... this is going to be spilling with politics and teams 'holding' eachother up.

will make quali much more exciting though!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 05, 2006 12:48AM
it's complicated for complicated-ness' sake.

Date: February 05, 2006 12:54AM
Posted by: Zyklef
Taken from formula1.com:
In the first two 15-minute sessions, cars may run any fuel load and drivers knocked out after those sessions may refuel ahead of the race. However, the top-ten drivers must begin the final 20-minute session with the fuel load on which they plan to start the race. They will be weighed before they leave the pits, and whatever fuel they use in the 20 minutes may be replaced at the end of the session.

Basically, all the cars will run light fuel to do their runs in the first 2 sessions (so pure pace will decide who qualifies where and who goes into he top-10 shootout). Then the 10 cars left have to fill up with their race fuel (which will be weighed), they can do as many laps as they want and then they have to refuel to the same weight as recorded.

So, in effect we won't see anybody going light to get into the top 11 because everyone should be as this fuel does not carry forward to the race, only the top-10 session will have fuel strategy involved.

Very possible that the actual lap time that gets pole position will be slower than 11th position.
Date: February 05, 2006 01:00AM
Posted by: kimiraik
For the first 2 sessions, all the cars can run with the fuel they want! only in the last (with the 10 remaining cars) the fuel must be decided before entering the track!
Date: February 05, 2006 01:03AM
Yeah Zyklef, absolutely right.
Date: February 05, 2006 01:12AM
yeah, so effectively, once half the field is knocked out, the times are reset to zero, and the remaining 10 may all end up being slower than 11th place.

will both pole times go into the records, or just the final pole time that determines the grid?

i suppose it only needs to be the final one, but they might put both down, just to be "complete".

Date: February 05, 2006 02:09AM
Posted by: marcl
the pole lap will be slower than the fastest lap before the final session. Its all a bit silly.

They should have just gone back to unlimited laps and scrap the race fuel. the final 15 mins made up for the 1st 45
Date: February 05, 2006 08:54AM
Posted by: b-tone
its been shown pretty easy to win from the back, so even starting 10th with a good strategy is no disadvantage.
but all top 10 teams will see that, so the first half will be a farce because the top 10 cars will set one quick lap, and the final half will be farce because again pole is no incentive and the top 10 will be running heavy.
maybe rb2 will try for the top 10 and go light to get pole. but m schu will definietly go for senna's pole record :(

____
Tony

Date: February 05, 2006 09:09AM
Posted by: Karan19
@muks_c - good question that. brings me to another thought. we could see a driver setting 2 "pole" laps. A particular driver could be fastest in both the light fuel runs and fastest again in the heavy fuel run. Either way I think of all the new "innovative" qual ideas this is probably the worst one the FIA has come up with :(

From F1.com

For 2006, the single-lap system used in recent years is replaced be a new three-part, knockout format, with multiple cars on track throughout the qualifying hour, which is split into two 15-minute sessions and a final 20-minute session, with five-minute breaks in between.

Part one: All 22 cars may run laps at any time during the first 15 minutes of the hour. At the end of the first 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill the final six grid places.

Part two: After a five-minute break, the times will be reset and the 16 remaining cars then will then run in a second 15-minute session - again they may complete as many laps as they want at any time during that period. At the end of the 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill places 11 to 16 on the grid.

Part three: After another five-minute break, the times are reset and the final 20-minute session will feature a shootout between the remaining 10 cars to decide pole position and the starting order for the top 10 grid places. Again, these cars may run as many laps as they wish.

In the first two 15-minute sessions, cars may run any fuel load and drivers knocked out after those sessions may refuel ahead of the race. However, the top-ten drivers must begin the final 20-minute session with the fuel load on which they plan to start the race. They will be weighed before they leave the pits, and whatever fuel they use in the 20 minutes may be replaced at the end of the session.

If a driver is deemed to have stopped unnecessarily on the circuit or impeded another driver during the qualifying session, then his times will be cancelled.

Even though it says the drivers are allowed unlimited laps in each part. How many laps do you guys think they'll be doing on average?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 09:18AM by Karan19.
Date: February 05, 2006 10:51AM
Posted by: Lemming
i bet they'll only do the minimum they have to - the top teams will only do more laps than they need to if the driver makes a mistake and is in danger of missing the next stage of qualifying.

this type of quali would've worked better without the stupid engine rules, but i still like the idea of it.

Date: February 05, 2006 11:34AM
Posted by: Zyklef
Personally I would have preferred single lap qualifying like in 2003, except with both laps on low fuel. I remember the parc-ferme/race fuel thing was brought in so teams could no longer use a special qualifying engine, so why did the FIA still keep this rule in despite the fact they brought in strict engine rules for 2004. I've never had a problem with single lap qualy except for the fact that they have to run race fuel.
Date: February 05, 2006 11:35AM
What can we expect? Briatore proposed this idea..
Date: February 05, 2006 11:56AM
Posted by: kaid
crappy @#$%&
they should just use the DTM qualy system with the super pole

Date: February 05, 2006 12:34PM
in 15 minutes, they could theoretically do about 7 or 8 laps, but i reckon they won't do more than 4 flyers, maybe even less.

then they have to do the same for the next session, so i think maybe 1 or 2 3-lap-runs in each of the first 2 sessions will be the norm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy