WRC

Posted by hans 
WRC
Date: January 28, 2006 04:39PM
Posted by: hans
i know nothing of WRC cars. i heard of some group b car in 1986 was so fast that it could have taken 6th on the grid. what are these various groups a, b, n etc
Re: WRC
Date: January 28, 2006 04:45PM
Posted by: tripleM
i am no expert,but the letters refer to different technical specifications and homologation requirements

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2006 04:49PM by tripleM.
Date: January 28, 2006 05:20PM
Posted by: Vader
WRC actually belongs into the off-topic section, since this is strictly speaking an F1 forum.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 28, 2006 05:35PM
Posted by: Lemming
i think there should be a motorsports section, as well as f1. off-topic isn't really all that good for this, it's still motorsport, as is f1!

Date: January 28, 2006 05:50PM
Posted by: harjinator
Group B were souped up versions of the normal rally cars. They were banned after some drivers and spectators were killed in 1986 (I think). A Lancia one was fast enough to have taken 6th place on the grid for the Portugese GP...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: January 28, 2006 07:24PM
Posted by: Battousai
The Lancia Delta S4 was a monster for it's time... now I don't remember many data about but I'm sure that was a 4WD, 600HP monster with two supercharger systems (volumex and turbo) with some sort of ground effect body and . the chassis was made with a magnesium alloy that demonstrated all his dangerous side when during the Corse Rally in 1986, Henry Toivonen lost the control of his car and went in a slope. There was a quick and huge fire and Toivonen and his navigator, Cresto, died because of that.
B monsters were put aside at the end of 1986 for the more human A and N groups.
While A group was still a "born to race" class with very good performances you can consider N group similar, in some way, to the SuperBike class.

bye

Battousai
Date: January 28, 2006 08:19PM
Posted by: mikef1
Crazy thing was that a lot of the time spectators used to line the roads like human armco back in the 80s and with cars with over 500bhp and able to do 0-60 in 2.5secs that is scary.
Date: January 28, 2006 09:21PM
Posted by: Pooky
nutters
Date: January 29, 2006 12:44AM
Posted by: Battousai
I remember a clip of a Mitsubishi entering in the crowd during Portugal Rally in 1985 or 1986... quite scaring vision...

Battousai
Date: January 29, 2006 08:11AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
In many places in WRC today the spectators still line the roads. It's a wonder they aren't mowed down on a regular basis. I was a WRC fan before I discovered F1, and I still think the WRC drivers are some of the best in motorsport given the various surfaces and conditions in which they drive...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: January 29, 2006 12:41PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
as drivers, i rate WRC guys FAR above F1 in terms of car control and as the word "driving" suggests, driving skill.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 29, 2006 03:08PM
Posted by: Zyklef
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In many places in WRC today the spectators still
> line the roads. It's a wonder they aren't mowed
> down on a regular basis.

Ah but compare the 1980's to modern rallying: the spectators used to literally line the road in their thousands like an armco barrier as mikef1 said. These days they are generally more dispersed and a few more feet from the edge of the road, and if a stage does get overcrowded, the rally organisers tend to cancel it before it begins.
Date: January 29, 2006 08:18PM
Posted by: Red Sam
the spectators used to literally line the road in their thousands like an armco barrier

Like this? ;)

Broken leg on the way!:)

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy