Belgian Grand Prix is off - report

Posted by marcl 
Date: January 20, 2006 12:30PM
Posted by: marcl
News

20 January 2006

According to reports breaking this morning in the Belgian press, the Belgian Grand Prix will not take place this year. The former minister of economy, Serge Kubla is reported as saying he has received confirmation the race is off from Bernie Ecclestone's people.

The negotiations between Ecclestone and the group of Walloon organizers are still going on. Top of the demand list is improving and extending the paddock area. According to Kubla, there is not enough time to build a new paddock ahead of this summer's race and that is the main reason the Grand Prix will not be held.

Kubla thinks the government reacted too late. "They left the it until the last moment. They made things worse and started negotiations for a new contract, while that was not the main problem."

Kubla also said the government should start working now, to make sure the Belgian Grand Prix is back on the calendar in 2007.

Sad i love that gp
Re: Belgian Grand Prix is off - report
Date: January 20, 2006 12:52PM
Posted by: RonF1
Not good news, the racing there is always been very good
Date: January 20, 2006 01:43PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Just heard something similar, @#$%& I can't believe it, really hope it ain't true, my God the best track...again...
Date: January 20, 2006 02:02PM
Posted by: montana_uk
Yep - it happened before quite recently, where they lost the race for a year. As long as it comes back, then I'll be happy. It is a really special track.

Laters,

Montana_UK
Date: January 20, 2006 02:33PM
Posted by: kimiraik
yes, already in 2003 it wasn't held...
Date: January 20, 2006 03:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Bernie has the promotion rights for the race. It will happen

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 20, 2006 03:47PM
Posted by: darcy
Yes, he does, but he wont sanction the race, as pit reconstruction wont be completed before the September race date
Date: January 20, 2006 03:56PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
"there is not enough time to build a new paddock ahead of this summer's race and that is the main reason the Grand Prix will not be held."

thats pathetic. i'd love to say more, but wow....that's extremely short sighted.

"as pit reconstruction wont be completed before the September race date"

whats wrong with using the sportscar pits then...

Date: January 20, 2006 04:17PM
The sportscar pits are in worse condition than the F1 pits

Bernie gives silverstone and belgium a chance to improve every year and every year we have this problem because they havent. the team facilities just arent good enough, despite bernies efforts

You really have to lay the blame at the doors of the track owners here.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 20, 2006 04:20PM
Posted by: montana_uk
It seems that it's not official yet. Bernie hasn't said anything yet, and the decision rests with him. The quote was from a politician who is generally thought of as a "loose cannon" . See here for the article - [www.pitpass.com].

Laters,

Montana_UK
Date: January 20, 2006 04:23PM
does it matter for one year am sure the teams can make do in the same complex they have used for years.
Date: January 20, 2006 04:31PM
Posted by: Karan19
so the off-season track saga starts again. great ugh :(
Date: January 20, 2006 04:31PM
Posted by: Xero
I would imagine the teams wouldn't mind the facilities seeing as Spa is one of the most prestigious Grand Prixs in the world. I'm sure Bernie will try his hardest to make sure the race goes ahead. F1 can't afford to keep getting these desputes.
Date: January 20, 2006 04:44PM
Asking the teams to work in garages which flood with a few cm of water is a bit much IMO

Is it too hard to ask that these places have respectable garages? Spa and silverstone are a joke. Knockhill has better qualify facilities and thats a crappy little track in a field in the middle of nowhere!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 05:47PM by DaveEllis.
Date: January 20, 2006 05:45PM
they have done it for years though one more year wont make a difference
Date: January 20, 2006 05:48PM
Great logic. they also used tents in the 1960s for years as garages. But hey, we dont need to improve those as "1 more year" wont hurt.

For spa its 1 more year every year. Same with silverstone. Yet nothing gets done and the facilities still suck. One more year doesnt apply when its been said for the 5th time.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 20, 2006 05:55PM
Posted by: chet
am i rite in saying Bernie cares more about his tv audience than the spectators 'there'??

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 20, 2006 06:14PM
Posted by: matthewp
Considering they outnumber them by a staggering margin you cant really blame him for that.

Date: January 20, 2006 06:18PM
In this case it doesnt matter about the audiences. Its the pathetic condition of the teams work places. Silverstone and spa are the worst on the calender currently. I love those tracks but a multi billion pound sport shouldnt have to put up with that

Bernie is the promoter for the Belgian GP, so he cares about the attendence there. But as Matt says, the TV audience is far more important

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 20, 2006 06:54PM
Posted by: pankykapus
DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy