Posted by Peat 
Re: Imola layout to be revised
Date: January 22, 2006 05:21PM
Posted by: tripleM
if and probably

Date: January 22, 2006 10:06PM
Posted by: The Lopper
No, they couldn't bring back the original Tamba, look at pictures of the crash, the amount of run off is absolutely tiny, and the river runs right against the concrete wall. The only way is if Tamba was moved back two hundred yards or so.

Personally i think they should leave a slow bend at Tamburello to make maximise overtaking opportunites after the straight, but maybe the should widen the track to encourage overtaking. Then get rid of Villeneuve completely and you have further overtaking at Tosa.

The rest of the track is grand, you could make a case for getting rid of the Variante Alta, but then cars would be going far too fast into Rivazza
Date: January 22, 2006 10:20PM
Posted by: bestobritish
Ive wanted them to do this for years, that short cut where the tarmac is a great cheat if i have to resort to it!

Thing is though wouldnt it be a bit disrespectful to the family of Roland R (cant spell his name) who died there to take out the villeuve chicane and leave in the 1 where senna died? Would be like he didnt matter so much.

Any way i quite like that chicane too with its fast entry and having to brake further half way through.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 22, 2006 10:36PM
I dunno i mean at the end of the day they weren't put down i memory of the drivers they were put down in knee-jerk reaction to their deaths. Tamburello makes sense cause there's no room, but Villeneuve was a kink, plus they've made room for run off now, so it'd be safer. Maybe they could re-name Villenuve Ratzenberger.

I agree i liked that bend to drive, but it doesn't do much for spectators as it is.
Date: January 23, 2006 12:05AM
Posted by: Muks_C
i like the idea of bringing Tamburello back maybe 200 yards, and removing the chicane, and also removing the Villeneuve chicane.

one argument for keeping the Tamba chicane is that people can overtake into it, but another is that removing it (and Villeneuve) would get the cars going at high speed all the way from Traguardo to Tosa, and they would be slipstreaming round Tamba and all the way down to Tosa. that would be awesome, instead of the stop/start nature of circuits these days, especially Imola.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 23, 2006 04:23AM
Posted by: pedropadilha
Indianapolis and Interlagos have very fast corners just before the start line with absolutely no amount of run off. You can ask Ralf. He's quite an expert in Indy walls.

Date: January 23, 2006 01:30PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Imagine no chicane/corner from Rivazza to Tosa...
Date: January 23, 2006 01:35PM
Posted by: six degrees
oddly unless I've missed something it doesn't look like anyone's posted what the new layout could be, lol...

the way I see it there's two ways it can work, either basically resurfacing the old section:

or with the second rivazza very slightly tightened to make a more distinct curve onto the old sf straight, creating even more room for the new complex:

of course there are many other things they *could* do, but I'd doubt they'd happen :p
Date: January 23, 2006 02:34PM
Posted by: Xero
I'd say the second one looks more likely. The whole point is to make room for a new pit complex. The second layout looks as if it'll allow a straighter and larger pit area.
Date: January 23, 2006 05:48PM
i thought thw whole point was to have the new pit complex on the inside of the track?

Date: January 23, 2006 06:44PM
a couple of pics showing Rubens' crash at the Bassa chicane:

Date: January 23, 2006 07:24PM
Posted by: six degrees
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i thought thw whole point was to have the new pit
> complex on the inside of the track?
>
> I'm not a number
>
> ...Juan Montoya fell off his tennis racquet...
>
> Nigel Roebuck
>
> Renault-in F1 past 2007.

"A project devised in 2001, which involves moving the pit building and paddock on the other side of the straight on the inside of the circuit, is considered too expensive to implement."

would seem not :P
Date: January 23, 2006 08:25PM
Posted by: Nik_I
that was quite a crash he had :(
Date: January 23, 2006 09:22PM
"A project devised in 2001, which involves moving the pit building and paddock on the other side of the straight on the inside of the circuit, is considered too expensive to implement."

I was wrong then,still i seem to remember it being brought up again recently.

Date: January 23, 2006 09:23PM
one argument for keeping the Tamba chicane is that people can overtake into it, but another is that removing it (and Villeneuve) would get the cars going at high speed all the way from Traguardo to Tosa, and they would be slipstreaming round Tamba and all the way down to Tosa. that would be awesome, instead of the stop/start nature of circuits these days, especially Imola.

Would be damn amazing, but you just know they're never gonna let a massive flat out patch like that into a hairpin. Just think of it though, that'd be a falt out part half as long as the actual circuit (mouth waters) You'd be coming into Tamba, easily hitting 200 (mouth waters) You might even have to feather it a bit through Tamba (ejaculates)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:35PM
just like it was :|

Date: January 23, 2006 10:43PM
Posted by: Nik_I
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one argument for keeping the Tamba chicane is that
> people can overtake into it, but another is that
> removing it (and Villeneuve) would get the cars
> going at high speed all the way from Traguardo to
> Tosa, and they would be slipstreaming round Tamba
> and all the way down to Tosa. that would be
> awesome, instead of the stop/start nature of
> circuits these days, especially Imola.
>
> Would be damn amazing, but you just know they're
> never gonna let a massive flat out patch like that
> into a hairpin. Just think of it though, that'd be
> a falt out part half as long as the actual circuit
> (mouth waters) You'd be coming into Tamba, easily
> hitting 200 (mouth waters) You might even have to
> feather it a bit through Tamba (ejaculates)
>
>
> 3½ Inch Floppy....
>

nice way to describe it :-)

Date: January 23, 2006 11:56PM
yeah if something went wrong under braking, or a car hit the back of another into Tosa, it'd be a mighty accident, nevermind the fact that the run-off would need to be a lot bigger at Tosa too.

You might even have to feather it a bit through Tamba

do you think so? i don't, I think there'd be easily enough downforce to take it flat, if they're at the 200mph mark.

Date: January 25, 2006 02:48PM
Might need to, dunnho
Date: January 25, 2006 02:51PM
they take Eau Rouge flat these days in the dry, Tamburello should be no problem i reckon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy