If i can't win then i'll quit

Posted by LS. 
If i can't win then i'll quit
Date: January 08, 2006 02:14AM
Posted by: LS.
Michael Schumacher has stated his continued participation in Formula 1 depends on the competitiveness of Ferrari's 2006 challenger.

The seven-times world champion, who endured a "catastrophic season" in 2005, says that if Ferrari fails to regain its swagger this year, it could tip him into retiring at the end of the season.

"The car must competitive," Schumacher told German magazine Der Spiegel.

"If I cannot win races and fight for the title, I believe that a large part of my desire to continue would diminish."

Schumacher, who could be replaced by Kimi Raikkonen should he quit, also voiced concerns over the rise of rival teams such as Toyota and warned that Ferrari must act if it does not want to be left behind.

"If we want the progress, we need additional people," he said.

"In Formula 1, one cannot afford to stand still. I need to know where Ferrari is heading."

Schumacher is the most successful driver in the history of the sport and the dominant figure of his era, but his reign came to an end abruptly last year when he managed only one victory in the ill-fated US GP.

The German looks back at 2005 in anger and is keen not to end his stellar career on a low.

"After all the success which became almost routine, we allowed ourselves to become negligent last year," he added.

"We all like to remember the good old times but I am hungy for more."

Should'nt be a problem for Michael, afterall we heard time and time again from the schumi fans thats its all down to his superhuman talent that wins the races ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: If i can't win then i'll quit
Date: January 08, 2006 02:16AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Go Schumi!!! I predict Ferrari will be back with a vengence this year!

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: January 08, 2006 02:19AM
Posted by: LS.
I predict a riot [www.kaiserchiefs.co.uk] :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 02:19AM by LS..
Date: January 08, 2006 05:00AM
Posted by: Razorsedge
LOL!

L.S. you are probably right....

Date: January 08, 2006 06:28AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Sounds a bit like Damon tbh. "Will i quit...well if i REALLY suck i will...hmmm im doing not bad, i'll stay, ok, no, im crap, im off bye"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 08, 2006 02:13PM
Posted by: marcl
does he mean win races or the championship ?

so he is not like others then that just love driving the cars, at least jv and dc dont quit when they aint winning.

but that does say it all really i would really question his motivation.

but can understand in a way he is getting old now and is used to wining.

Date: January 08, 2006 02:26PM
Posted by: chet
know he means when he hasnt the pace to win.

DC still thinks he can win
As im sure JV can

Shumi doesnt mean when the team cant win, therefore i cant win.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 08, 2006 03:06PM
he has got the pace to win just seems hedont wanna fight for it.
Date: January 08, 2006 03:18PM
Posted by: danm
i believe DC has the ability still to win, he seems a raw diamond with red bull

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 08, 2006 05:27PM
Posted by: mikef1
Looks like he's putting a lot of pressure on the Marenello boys, i think he's already made his mind up to quit at the end of this season IMO. Before he would always talk down retirement, now he seems serious about it.
Date: January 08, 2006 06:44PM
Posted by: Muks_C
his contract ends at the end of this coming season, along with a lot of the other key guys, so he'll have to make his decision by about mid-season i reckon.

he's probably got in his mind that he'll give it 7-10 races before making a final decision.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 08, 2006 07:42PM
he will know after 3 races if the car is any good or not.

now days u fail to finish 3 times forget the championship.

Date: January 08, 2006 09:37PM
Posted by: Lucasinio
Yeah, but look at the picture:
[www.itv-f1.com]

Anyway, as some who has set records, he wont want to race to keep up the numbers. I personally, think he has chosen to quit.

Date: January 08, 2006 09:47PM
Posted by: Muks_C

he's borrowed Ralfs jumper again...

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 08, 2006 09:48PM
Posted by: Karan19
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does he mean win races or the championship ?
>
> so he is not like others then that just love
> driving the cars, at least jv and dc dont quit
> when they aint winning.
>

if you knew his past and what he really was all about he loves this sport and driving .atleast he's sensible in calling it quits right away and not hanging around like for nothing like DC and JV are. I couldnt picture a driver like that driving around another season scrounging for 6th or 7th places like DC and JV have been.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 11:10PM by Karan19.
Date: January 08, 2006 11:13PM
yes i can understand that Karan. And no i dont really know his past before f1. I can only asume he likes driving the cars, after all he has been in f1 now for 15 years and thats a bloody long time.

But DC and JV probably love driving just as much but MS is used to wining and wants nothing less, can not say i blame him what else does he have left apart from 2 records

and they are number of monaco wins and poles. Can see him beating the pole one this year but number of monaco wins can not see it now.

I think DC loves it at the mo, even though he can not win he is just loving the driving with no presure. As for JV dunno.

tbh though i enjoyed seeing ms fighting rather than starting from pole and driving away from the field.

tbh if he wins this year i think he should quit anyway, go out on top. Always thought 2005 was one year to many

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 11:17PM by marcl.
Date: January 08, 2006 11:50PM
Posted by: chet
well if 2005 was anything to go by MS is physically and mentally able to carry on for a while yet.

eitherhe just well increased his perf or rubens droped off, i dont know but theres something about last season that made MS shine imho.

if any more 130R moves happen in 2006 im sure ms will pack his bags :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 08, 2006 11:58PM
Posted by: mikef1
All the best drivers have left the sport while at the top, Schumi probably wants to do the same.
Date: January 09, 2006 12:49AM
look what happened when mansell tried to do one more year, and mika and hill u could see their hearts were not in it. After all the good races mansell done i can not get 1995 out my head he made a fool out of himself. As Ron has now said they told him to loose weight to fit in the car and he never infact he got bigger and could not fit in it. Then he could not drive it as it was not to his liking.

MS is right to do next year to try and put 2005 out of his mind, but come mid year and he says he is going to retire he should just go, i dont wanna see him risk his life for some thing he no longer wants.

deep down i hope he can fight would love to see a 4 driver fight for the top not seen that in well over 15 years. Lets just hope they all have cars at the same level and good reliability.
Date: January 09, 2006 01:25AM
Posted by: tripleM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy