would v8s help overtaking?

Posted by chet 
would v8s help overtaking?
Date: December 20, 2005 09:12AM
Posted by: chet
i mean simple physics.

they reach their top speed earlier or terminal speed earlier.... soo therefore more slip-streaming?? or?

its like Motogp..

the 125cc has more overtaking.. as exiting the corner their terminal speed is quickly reached :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: would v8s help overtaking?
Date: December 20, 2005 09:51AM
Posted by: marcl
JV thinks it will help I dont see how tbh.

At the start there will be more as some cars will have different ranges of power so some might be better on acceleration but not so good on top end speed
Date: December 20, 2005 10:09AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I don't particularly see that they'll get up to top speed faster. And terminal speed? As in terminal velocity? I think that's some way off dude!

I don't see that it'll be any different in engine terms - its still a level field so aside from minor power variations between engine makers, its not going to be noticable imo.

Only thing I can think of that could have an impact is that with less power, mechanical grip (relative to aero grip) might be marginally better, which would allow more overtaking. But there's nothing to suggest that's even true, just a thought.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 21, 2005 01:13PM
Posted by: Imran
surely theyll be geared such that they dont reach top speed half way downa straight

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 21, 2005 01:48PM
Posted by: Zyklef
Unless the top speed is dramatically lower, shouldn't the cars theoretically take longer to reach their top speed now that they have less power? In any case, with less power able to push through the air, the slipstream will become more effective to the car behind than in the V10 years.
Date: December 21, 2005 03:04PM
Posted by: Peat
they are only 7mph slower down the straights from last year i read. but that is because of reduced downforce to compensate.

Date: December 21, 2005 03:43PM

V8 engines have made formula one 'boring' for the drivers, Australia's Mark Webber says. The Williams pilot, who recently tested the new Cosworth engine in Spain, told Eurosport that corners like Eau Rouge (Spa) and 130R (Suzuka) will be 'easier' with reduced power.

"That's what's boring about it now," Mark explained in the interview. "We've got so much grip compared to the power that the corners won't be demanding."

And while Webber, 29, thinks the lower top speeds are good for safety, it also means that braking distances are shorter -- and that's not good for passing.

According to webber no it wont be better for passing, but he is such an expert he would know lol
Date: December 21, 2005 04:23PM
ok meh :)

yea the braking distances will be shorter.. :(

but we best ask ralf ;)

Date: December 21, 2005 07:41PM
Posted by: bestobritish
overtaking will be harder imo. the breaking distances will be even shorter and the cars still wont be able to follow closely

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: December 23, 2005 02:03AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Like Brundle said, just give them steel brakes :)

[Website]
Date: December 27, 2005 10:02PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Don't matter how easy or hard it gets to overtake, Sato San will show us how not to do it. See how Michael and Juan Pablo manage and you'll see if its harder or easier.
Date: December 27, 2005 10:29PM
MS aint a great overtaker either infact can be just as bad as sato lol.

Passing is never gonna be easier until they sort out the tracks as well.

1 year ago people were saying how good it was to see sato giving it a go, one year later he is being slagged off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2005 10:30PM by marcl.
Date: December 27, 2005 11:04PM
because last year when he 'had a go' and failed it was ok(ish) but then with another year under his belt he shud be able to overtake without hitting any1 lol

Date: December 28, 2005 04:41PM
yeah but everyone said passing was a lot harder last year.

i agree he had silly crashes last year i aint saying he did not
Date: December 29, 2005 12:14AM
but his silly crashes were continous.

i mean.. generaly people learn from mistakes, this guy well doesnt ;)

Date: December 29, 2005 12:34AM
Posted by: Slash
Jenson said it will help to overtake simply because it has lower power so it doen-t accelerate as fast, so whoever makes a mistakes it'll be harder to get on to speed
but the way i see it, it happened the same thing with the tyres at the start of the season, but by the 2nd part of the season all drivers got used to it, and it was back to normal f-1
Date: December 29, 2005 01:24AM
I can only remember 2 cars that he hit MS and Trulli who were the others?

Yes might have less power so does not accelerate as fast but it will be the same for everyone, then they just do the move to the inside block the corner no one can go round the outside and there u go no pass.

And with the tyres being allowed to be changed again u wont get the japan overtaking like kimi did to fissi as he tyres would be ok.
Date: December 29, 2005 03:20PM
Posted by: mikef1
I've been recently watching a few races from '93 when there were V8s, V10s and V12s! TBH i can see no reason why having a V8 would improve overtaking, though having steel brakes sounds like a good idea to me.
Date: December 29, 2005 04:00PM
Posted by: Zyklef
The V8's, V10's and V12's of 1993 were all of the same capacity, though, so the power difference between each type was less pronounced. Next year will see a 600cc drop in engine capacity so it's not really a comparable situation.
Date: December 29, 2005 04:33PM
Posted by: mikef1
Word is that teams are worried about the rev limited V10s having more power than the best V8s, could be intersting to see what happens there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy