Michelin quit F1

Posted by Nickv 
Michelin quit F1
Date: December 14, 2005 04:02PM
Posted by: Nickv
ast week the FIA announced that in 2008 there will be only one tyre supplier allowed in the sport. Today, Wednesday, Michelin announced it will quit Formula One at the end of the 2006 season as it does not want to be in Formula One as the sole tyre supplier.

A Michelin statement said: "Michelin considers Formula One to be a highly technical motorsport in which the tyre is a very influential component in the scope of the performance of the vehicle. The teams' freedom to choose their own tyres is essential. Therefore, competition between at least two tyre manufacturers is critical; this provides the basis for real competition between tyre suppliers, which, in turn, stimulates progress for the public's greater interest. Today, it would appear as though Formula One rules will be modified to impose a single tyre supplier. After consulting with its loyal partners (McLaren Mercedes, BMW Sauber F1, Renault F1, Honda Racing F1) as well as with Sir Frank Williams, Michelin is now convinced that the evolution towards a single tyre supplier is inevitable. Michelin expresses its regret to see F1 lose a part of its high technology."

The statement further more hit out at the constant changes in Formula 1: "In addition to this new direction in F1, there are constant changes to racing regulations without warning. Such practices also make planning for the future completely impossible. In this context, continuing to make long-term investments in Formula One no longer presents the same interest. Michelin has therefore decided not to extend its Formula One involvement beyond the 2006 season.

"This decision is the result of profound differences between Michelin's long-standing sporting philosophy and the way Formula One is managed by the regulating authorities, which no longer provide a clear and sustainable environment to justify long-term investments," commented Mr. Edouard Michelin. "For Michelin, leaving Formula One in no way represents abandoning motorsports, to which the Michelin brand has been committed for 117 years. If F1's ways of functioning were to be significantly modified, Michelin would not hesitate in proposing its services to the different teams once again."

Michelin's withdrawal at the end of 2006 will almost certainly bring into play a single tyre supplier in 2007. In this new situation, it should be possible to verify if the FIA's vaunted advantages of control tyres are proven and, in particular, if equality amongst teams really is guaranteed.

Formula 1 is seriously going the wrong way :(
Re: Michelin quit F1
Date: December 14, 2005 04:05PM
Posted by: gary42
ffs - how is this gonna help F1 at all??

Date: December 14, 2005 04:12PM
Posted by: NickKK
I totally agree with Michelin's arguments, it's silly to change the rules 5 times every year on a whim, it's silly to have just one tyre supplier when F1 is about competition and it's more than obviously silly that F1 is managed the way it is.

So will it be Bridgestone, Goodyear...Pirelli ? Does it matter..

Date: December 14, 2005 04:15PM
It doesn't matter if their's only gonna be one. Personally, I'd like to see teams forced to use their own supplier, like with fuel - so we could have 10 different tyres. spice things up more

Date: December 14, 2005 04:15PM
Posted by: matthewp
If they have to go to one tyre it would be fair to make it a new company to ensure a level playing field, but we all know it'll be Bridgestone despite them getting trounced in 2005.

Date: December 14, 2005 04:56PM
Posted by: marcl
was just about to post this lol.

Teams that have swicthed will have an advantage for 2007.

Wonder as well how much money michelin will put in for their final year might not be good news for mclaren, renault and BAR
Date: December 14, 2005 05:45PM
Posted by: tripleM
the Michelin PR machine is probably even better than their tyres

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 05:45PM by tripleM.
Date: December 14, 2005 06:11PM
Posted by: Zcott
There are absolutely no advantages to being the single tyre manufacturer and Michelin have done the right thing by getting out early.

Date: December 14, 2005 06:28PM
Posted by: chet
tbh i think they pump alot more money in for their last season

they will want to win for their last season.. and now with less teams... 3 teams who could win.. possibly 4 i think they will dominate again... but who knows..

and the advantage.. well it wont be that big... i mean BAR adapted to Michelin amazingly.. but Sauber didnt.. well the 04 car did.

Williams looks handy on bridgestones.. so tbh i dont think the years extra experience will be as great as you might think.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 14, 2005 06:28PM
Posted by: chet
btw the 1 tyre thing..

best descion made in the last 5 or so years :]

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 14, 2005 06:34PM
Posted by: Zyklef
I have to agree with chet here, although I am not gonna say that the 2 seasons I have seen with just one tyre manufacturer were better than the season with Bridgestone/Michelin and Bridgestone/Goodyear, a HUGE proportion of dissapointment in results and races has stemmed from having two seperate manufacturers. For instance, Michelin graining in 2001/2002 meant that Williams couldn't hold a torch to Ferrari mid-race because the Bridgestones always held up fine; 2003, the "illegal" Michelin debacle that possibly cost us a non-Ferrari championship; and of course USA 2005, I doubt that would have ever happened with a single manufacturer.
Date: December 14, 2005 06:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
while we lose one aspect of the competition, the tyre war, it can be argued that the reason we've has a few boring season in the past few, is solely down to the superiority of 1 manufactirer over the other.

in 2003 we saw, one track would favour BS, so ferrari would dominate, then another track would favour michelin, so the other teams would leap forward, but ferrari would drop a long way behind.

there has hardly ever been a situation where both tyres had equal performance over the weekend in the past few seasons.

we saw how lethal a tyre war was in 2002, and even more in 2004, when BS' tyres killed michelin, and made a truly dull season for the fans to watch.

so although we lose 1 aspect of the competition, we should *hopefully* see a much more level playing field in the future, with the single tyre company.

and if it is BS (which it probably will be), we hopefully won't see them favouring Ferrari, because McLaren, Renault, Honda et al wouldn't stand for it, so we should see a straight fight between the teams.

but I've said it before, they should have an unconnected company coming in for 2007, such as Avon or similar, and throughout the season, any tyre company wishing to be the supplier from 2008, can put forward their product and proposal to the FIA, and they will choose who will be the suplier during the latter stage of the season.

that will break BS' tie with Ferrari for at least 1 season (so any accusations of favouritism if they do well can be quashed), and will give an opportunity to any other manufacturer to apply.

i must say, i think its a good move for a single manufacturer.

either that, or go the other way, and try to get 4 or 5 companies in, maybe with 2 teams each.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 06:43PM by Muks_C.
Date: December 14, 2005 09:14PM
Posted by: Lemming
trying desparately to avoid any FIA-Ferrari comments....

completely agree there needs to be just 1 tyre manufacturer. indianapolis wouldn't have happened if everyone were on the same tyre, they would have had to stick a chicane in on the last turn (altho some say if ferrari were one of 3 teams on michelin tyres they would've stuck a chicane in anyway). and i read somewhere that 90% of testing is tyre-related. didn't think it would be quite that high, but even if it's less than 90%, it'll still be a big chunk of testing.

but it shouldn't be bridgestone now. 5 teams will have a big advantage in 2007 because of previous experience.

Date: December 14, 2005 09:41PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
If it is Bridgestone, then Ferrari can't blame the tyres continuously for their bad performances, because all the teams will be in the same boat (more or less).

But the decision for the tyre supplier has to made fairly early, like May-June time, because cars are built around the tyres for the most part. Minardi had problems in 2003 because the car they built for the 2003 season was originally built around Bridgestone tyres, and they refused to supply more than 5 teams, so they had to change to Michelins at the last minute.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 14, 2005 09:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
of course Ferrari won't be able to blame BS if they are crap, but in the same way, if they are good and dominate like 2002 or 2004, you can't say its because they already worked with BS for many years, and/or they are getting preferentaial treatment.

it works both ways.

thats why i suggest someone else come in for at least 1 season (maybe 2 would be better?), then the FIA choose from the list of candidates, which would break Ferrari's relationship with BS, so no one will start accusing them of anything underhand if they are successful.

and about BS 'refusing' to supply minardi/more than 5 teams, were they legally allowed to do that? isn't the rule something like they have to be prepared to supply every team if they ask for it? i know someone here knows the rule properly (was it Red Sam?).

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 10:00PM by Muks_C.
Date: December 14, 2005 10:15PM
Posted by: Lemming
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> of course Ferrari won't be able to blame BS if
> they are crap, but in the same way, if they are
> good and dominate like 2002 or 2004, you can't say
> its because they already worked with BS for many
> years, and/or they are getting preferentaial
> treatment.

bridgestone will have to claim impartiality, but their history with ferrari alone will automatically make them their favourites (bound to happen; like choosing a friend to partner up with in something, you'll choose your best mate), whether that'll show on track is another matter.

thats why i suggest someone else come in for at least 1 season (maybe 2 would be better?), then the FIA choose from the list of candidates, which would break Ferrari's relationship with BS, so no one will start accusing them of anything underhand if they are successful.

yep, 2007-2008/9 should be goodyear, or some other random tyre company that's never even been in f1, then allow whoever back in, would be much fairer on everyone.

Date: December 14, 2005 10:21PM
Posted by: anze89
the F1 will become slower with michelin leaving (it will not increase speed) and that's what FIA wants. It wouldn't be fair if bridgestone stayed as the only one (goodyear should come back, if pirelli would come then people would say that ferrari has an advantage)

Date: December 15, 2005 12:48AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Lemming Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> trying desparately to avoid any FIA-Ferrari
> comments....
>
> completely agree there needs to be just 1 tyre
> manufacturer. indianapolis wouldn't have happened
> if everyone were on the same tyre, they would have
> had to stick a chicane in on the last turn (altho
> some say if ferrari were one of 3 teams on
> michelin tyres they would've stuck a chicane in
> anyway). and i read somewhere that 90% of testing
> is tyre-related. didn't think it would be quite
> that high, but even if it's less than 90%, it'll
> still be a big chunk of testing.
>
> but it shouldn't be bridgestone now. 5 teams will
> have a big advantage in 2007 because of previous
> experience.
>
>
> (ha, bet nobody else is)
>
>

why state you dont want to say anything about ferrari then add a little dig at them?
Lemming so of your arguments are good but your constant fixation with FIa favouring Ferrari make your opinions just parody a joke, get over it ffs and bring in some good points not constantly insulting Ferrari/FIA on the sly, i am a Mclaren and Renault fan yet i dont constantly feel the need to do that.

Anyway 1 tyre....a good thing IMO
Date: December 15, 2005 12:49AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
seriously this is the best news ever. having two tyre suppliers has almost always meant one tyre having a significant advantage over the other. Now a fast car will be determined more by the team and driver than by the tyre.
Date: December 15, 2005 12:49AM
@Mini Maestro
to be fair to Lemming, he did say 'some say if ferrari', so maybe he was trying to be balanced

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy