Wheldon says no to F1

Posted by matthewjohnson 
Wheldon says no to F1
Date: November 30, 2005 10:41PM
Posted by: matthewjohnson
Looks like Dan Wheldon won't ever make it to F1. Aftre getting his career back on track in the states, he has turned down the chance to be a test driver next season to race in the IRL again. I doubt he'll get another chance now. Look at Scott Dixon. He had a test with Williams a couple of years back, but no-one mentions hjim in relation to F1 anymore. You only get one chance in F1. (Unless your Tarsp Marques apparently!)
Re: Wheldon says no to F1
Date: November 30, 2005 11:08PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Turning down f1 for IRL? That's a smart move :| (sarcasm of course)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:29PM
Posted by: marcl
not the best move i mean look last your dixon was the man now after a bad year people dont even mention his name.
Date: November 30, 2005 11:40PM
Posted by: tripleM
Wheldon is probably looking to become the first man to win both major OW series in America

Date: November 30, 2005 11:42PM
Posted by: Zcott
Racing in IRL might be dangerous, but it's a lot friendlier and a lot more open than the F1 paddock.

Date: December 01, 2005 09:25AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Wheeldon probably feels he can make more money and be IRL champ again next season. Then he would be a red hot commodity for F1. But if he doesn't pull that off, I doubt he will get many future offers from F1 teams.

Super Aguri maybe, but not an established team...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: December 01, 2005 09:58AM
Posted by: Jacques26
Is there more known about his (alleged) test deal?
For which team would he test?

If you are a front running racer and have the opportunity of driving for a competitive team with a good salary, you don't just leave because F1 might be beckoning.

Wheldon probably wanted guarantees that the testing deal would lead to a race deal eventually if he proved he could cut the mustard. Without that guarantee, he would have been mad to leave IRL. There are a bushload of F1 wannebe's stuck in testing roles with no hope of a race deal. A real racer would prefer a race deal anytime even if its not in F1.
Date: December 01, 2005 10:41AM
Posted by: Peat
well said.

Date: December 01, 2005 11:27AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
That's exactly what he wanted. He was only interested in a deal that included a race seat for 2007.

[Website]
Date: December 01, 2005 11:49AM
Posted by: b-tone
its ages till the start of the season. he's just fishing.
next season is secure if f1 falls thru, and the f1 teams now know that one of them offered a testing deal.

____
Tony

Date: December 01, 2005 12:22PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
If I was a champ in america, massively successful, popular etc, I wouldn't become a testing driver for some pokey middle of the grid team in F1, not in a million years. His aim is reasonable - test then race for DEFINATE.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 01, 2005 01:52PM
Posted by: matthewjohnson
There is no way any leading team in F1 is going to offer someone who has been mainly driving only on ovals for the last 3 or 4 years a race drive before he even steps foot in an F1 car.
Also, I read in Autosport today, that Wheldon's manager thinks he is too big for the IRL and needs to be in F1 or NASCAR. Who runs the 39, 40, 41 and 42 cars in the NExtel Cup? Ganassi Racing, Wheldon's new team!
Date: December 01, 2005 04:11PM
Posted by: sega
i think this sis more a case of F1 saying no to Dan Wheldon

Saludos desde Colombia.
Date: December 01, 2005 04:52PM
Posted by: DrDougal
Wheldon made the right decision, for sure! He dominated last years IRL championship and won the Indy 500. He is way better than a test driver!
Date: December 01, 2005 05:02PM
its true he's only done ovals of recent - but that's why he wants to test for a year first. However for a WDC, what's the point in taking a year to test if you arent going to race the next year?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 01, 2005 05:03PM
Posted by: tripleM
1/DNF/5 on road courses

Edit: WDC,good one ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2005 05:04PM by tripleM.
Date: December 01, 2005 05:17PM
I used it in the sense that he's the champion. Not WDC true, but let's not be completely anal about it hey ;-)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2005 08:49PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
He's right not to take an unconditional test role. Look at Wurz, de la Rosa, Davidson.

All these have been testing for ages, yet new drivers are coming into F1 all the time. Testing is something you do for 1 year maximum, then come back. F1 has very short term memories...
Date: December 02, 2005 09:36PM
Posted by: six degrees
Nemesis78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's right not to take an unconditional test role.
> Look at Wurz, de la Rosa, Davidson.
>
> All these have been testing for ages, yet new
> drivers are coming into F1 all the time. Testing
> is something you do for 1 year maximum, then come
> back. F1 has very short term memories...
>

I reckon they only signed up after seeing how a year testing for McLaren reignited Olivier Panis' career.

Worked once :p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy