i can,t understand this
Date: August 09, 2003 04:13PM
Posted by: Hakkinenf1
today i was watching the Canadain GP
when Ralf frist pitted he was 1 sec a head of Michael he spent 8.1 in the pit
or something like that
Micheal pitted one lap after he spent 10 secs in the pit
and he came out in front of Ralf???????
so how could Michael win 3 secs in 7 curves ...not even a whole lap..
and he was trapped behind Firman too???
thats bring me back to Brazil 2002
Re: i can,t understand this
Date: August 09, 2003 06:13PM
Posted by: Todays_Horse
He may have spent more time in his pit but he may have gone in and out faster maybe. MS is the only driver that practises getting into and out of the pitlane, we hear. RS may have had traffic on his out lap is another possibility

'The beak of Ayrton Senna's chicken is pulling ahead!' ~ Murray Walker
Date: August 09, 2003 07:05PM
Posted by: USRacer
Michael simply defies logic. That's why they call him the best.
Date: August 09, 2003 08:49PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Also, never trust the official timing system. Brazil 2003 proves this :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: August 10, 2003 02:13AM
Posted by: Pooky
oh come on st hubbins - i hope that comment was ajoke!

michael just simply went faster on his inlap and outlap

so that extra lap before he pitted he probably took 1.5 seconds out of ralf, then he pitted, ralf lost 1.5 secs and stuck behind a car, then michaels out lap was faster too

Date: August 10, 2003 02:54AM
Posted by: marcl
MS breaks alot later for the pit limiter line as well, this could be seen in germany, he closed right up on the car infront.
Date: August 10, 2003 03:03AM
Posted by: ralphi
i think marcl is right...

Date: August 10, 2003 04:17AM
Posted by: Abstraction
Ralf did a very slow in lap which i think wasn't shown.

Andrew. Australia.
Date: August 10, 2003 04:29AM
Ralf got caught up behind a back marker just as kimi did in monaco.

to many drivers are to careful about the white line in the pit lap, MS drives flat out until just before the line. In germany Trulli i think it was slowed down much earler than MS. In spain Alonso was the same. MS probably makes up half a second on each pit stop by the entrence alone.
Date: August 10, 2003 05:49AM
Posted by: bazza
See the closing up on entry to the pits. I'm not so sure if it's coz he's any better at entering the pits. It's the same scenario as when cars slow down for corners. The distance gets shorter, because the speeds are less, but the time gap may not change.

Baz

Date: August 10, 2003 06:19AM
i know what u mean but when they are then doing the speed limit he is closer
Date: August 10, 2003 06:47AM
Posted by: Muks_C
Michael brakes harder and later for the white line just before he puts the pit limiter on. Other drivers (eg Trulli in Germany) brake earlier but less, and so Michael zooms right up to the back of them. You often see his car squirming and going sideways a litlle bit because he brakes so hard while approaching the pit white line.
Date: August 10, 2003 07:03AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
My comments were referring to the pit stop times. They are not the most accurate timing withing the GP weekend so the fact that on the television it showed Ralf was over a second faster this may not actually be the case.

There is offcial timing giving the time spent in the pitlane which would be more accurate, although I haven't seen it. Maybe somebody who has the stats can share the information.

To be honest I wouldn't be all that surprised if Michael did make up the time on merit anyway. As has been mentioned above he does have the ability to put in tremendously fast inlaps, and his pit entry is far better than most.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy