Nico gets the race seat. Finally confirmed

Posted by DaveEllis 
Nico gets the race seat. Finally confirmed
Date: October 20, 2005 01:34PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Thursday, 20 October 2005 09:14

Williams have decided to hand Nico Rosberg the second race seat at their team next year, according to a report in this week's Autosport.

The German's performance in clinching this year's inaugural GP2 championship and the input he has provided in testing for the team have left Williams adamant that he is the perfect partner for Mark Webber in 2006.

Although the news has not been officially confirmed, Autosport reports that an announcement should be made in a matter of days.

Williams are believed to be keen to avoid the scenario of last year when they made a late decision on Nick Heidfeld, so as to give Rosberg as much winter testing mileage as possible to get up to speed.

Rosberg is confident that he will be able to perform well against Webber.

"It shouldn't be a problem to drive against Mark as long as I get a lot of winter testing," he was quoted as saying by Autosport. "I need to get enough kilometres to make sure I'm ready but apart from that I'm okay."

Rosberg's appointment leaves the future of test driver Antonio Pizzonia open to doubt. The Brazilian said earlier this week that he would consider taking the third Williams drive for 2006, although he is also believed to be in talks with other F1 teams.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Nico gets the race seat. Finally confirmed
Date: October 20, 2005 01:37PM
Posted by: iceman kimi
good, fresh talent. good luck too him.....

even if he looks like a girl....

Date: October 20, 2005 01:42PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
Nico is probably the best man for the job, with the change Williams is undergoing, they should get some young talent on board early, and Nico is probably the best young talent about today.

Date: October 20, 2005 01:50PM
Posted by: J i m
Broadly agree with Race_Monkey, although I have to admit that I'm a bit of a blinkered Rosberg fanboy, so I would say that.

Besides, it isn't actually official yet, because Williams have not publicaly said anything.

Date: October 20, 2005 03:25PM
Posted by: LS.
Williams need to get Piquet Jnr signed so that next year we can look forward to 2nd generation battle :)

Great news about Nico too :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 20, 2005 03:40PM
Posted by: marcl
piquet Jnr has not been that good in GP2 and or the 2nd race of the A1GP.

Think people jumped the gun about how good he was. I think next year in GP2 will be vital for him or he could end up in champ car
Date: October 20, 2005 05:28PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
iceman kimi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> even if he looks like a girl....
>
>
>

lol totally agree ;)

Date: October 20, 2005 05:39PM
Posted by: Sauber89
nice guy nico rosberg he stopped right in front of us in testing then talked to my dad in the paddock certainly a better choice than pizziona cant wait to see how he preforms next year

Date: October 20, 2005 06:04PM
Posted by: Lemming
with the horrible thought of V8s next year, he'll probably think he's still in GP2...

Date: October 20, 2005 06:06PM
Posted by: rocker
Sauber 89,

What does your sign means? JV or Sauber or both?

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: October 20, 2005 06:53PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
w00t....another dude to add to my list of those i support...Alonso, Massa, Raikkonen and now Rosberg!.
hopehe pwns Webber truly nxt year :)
Date: October 20, 2005 07:39PM
Posted by: chet
hes good. but but i still think he is only where he is because of his name.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 20, 2005 08:02PM
Posted by: FRESCO
I think he deserves the seat. His performance in the 2nd half of the GP2 series was just spanking.

Although I would have liked to see pizzonia given a chance as well. I think he'll go to champ car now.

Date: October 20, 2005 08:04PM
Posted by: b-tone
no one gets anywhere 'only' because of his name.
his dad has a huge involvement in motor racing - from f1, touring cars, a1gp and more.
growing up in that environment you're bound to pick something up. not to mention genes.
so nico has talent, but maybe at the end of the day keke had a word to frank which opened the final door, but nico is there on his own merit as well.

____
Tony

Date: October 20, 2005 08:15PM
Posted by: LS.
FRESCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think he deserves the seat. His performance in
> the 2nd half of the GP2 series was just spanking.
>
> Although I would have liked to see pizzonia given
> a chance as well. I think he'll go to champ car
> now.
>
> __________________________________________________
> ___________________________
>
>

Pizza boys had enough chances to be fair, he's not shone and at the very best he's going to be a mid field runner in F1 even with a competitive car.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 20, 2005 08:18PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Good on Nico, I hope he does well. Of course a big part of him getting the seat was the backing he'd bring to Williams as well, Frank Williams has always been the richer Paul Stoddart. And no, I'm not saying Pizzonia should have gotten the seat, he had his chance to regain some F1 practice after a long time but blew it, so... I hope he takes a racing role perhaps at Midland or somewhere else.
Date: October 20, 2005 08:26PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the fact that Nico is Keke Rosbergs son has helped him a great doubt throughout his career. It has open doors that probably would not have opened for other people.

It is also known that Williams rather enjoys having famous names in their cars... Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve. They had already tested both Nico, and Nelson Piquet Junior. There are already rumours that they will offer Bruno Senna a one of test, sometime in the future.

So yes, the famous name does help a heck of a lot.

BUT... a famous name does not mean you have the talent to actually perform well as a Racing Driver.

Nico Rosberg won F-BMW a few years ago, which gave him his one of test in the Williams a couple of years ago making him the then youngest ever person to test drive a F1 car. On the strength of his showing (as well as his surname he was invited back for a couple of proper tests with the team, as was Nelsoninho Piquet. He obviously did something to impress the team because after a couple of indiffernt seasons in Euro F3 (winning a few races but ultimately over shadowed by Christian Klien) he was invited back as the 2nd test driver after Pizzoina. He has tested regulary for them this season, with steady improvement.

And oh yes, he won the Gp2 championship against Heikki Kovalainen with some fantastic driving and racing.

The guy has the talent. All he needs now is the platform to see if he can cut on the Grandprix grid.
Date: October 20, 2005 09:51PM
Posted by: Muks_C
I think the famous name allows you to avoid the route of minardi/jordan-pay-driver. because you can usually get a test with a 'big' team, rather than struggle for sponsorship to try and get a pay-drive. but you still need to deliver when you get the chances.

So yes, the famous name does help a heck of a lot.

BUT... a famous name does not mean you have the talent to actually perform well as a Racing Driver.

exactly, just look at Ralf.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 20, 2005 11:20PM
Posted by: chet
by his name i really mean his father has good contacts and good money.

perhaps there is some1 out there who is better but alot less money..

part of the reason i dislike this guy is well he was moaning at some drivers at the end of the season. These drivers have sacrificed their lives to race and all he can do is moan at them. he a stuck up wanker in my opinion and doesnt have the rite to slate drivers who have fought so hard to race whereas he has had it soo much more easy.

if ppl dont know what im on about.. check the last race itv. :) because im not explaining :)

edit - if he can prove himself in f1 then i have no problem with him.

I expect him to be quick (for his first season). but im not expecting him to get anywhere near webber.

He totally killed Premat who i rate very highly so hes obviously not slow. he is just stuck up and has not earned the rite to be. but he is who he is and so long as he can prove hes good i will have no problem with him :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2005 11:24PM by chet.
Date: October 21, 2005 12:10AM
That's a bit like saying he has no right to be there simply because he has a famous father.

The fact is, he's so far in his career delivered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy