Jim Rosenthal's moving away from F1

Posted by turkey_machine 
Jim Rosenthal's moving away from F1
Date: October 17, 2005 03:56PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Who would you like to see replace him?

I wouldn't mind seeing Angus Scott have a go for a season. Jon Desborough gets along just fine at the rallies without him.
Re: Jim Rosenthal's moving away from F1
Date: October 17, 2005 04:02PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Steve Ryder's got the job, hasn't he?

or am I dreaming?

they should get some Page 3 birds or glamour models to do it, different one for each race. lets face it, they won't know any less about F1 than Jim!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 17, 2005 04:48PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Apparently (taken from ITV-F1)

"Freely admitting that he wasn
Date: October 17, 2005 05:09PM
Posted by: LS.
Jim did an ok job to say he came from hosting other ITV sports like football and boxing.

You've only got to take a look at the crap presenters sky have for the A1GP to see Jim was miles better as a presenter.

He always looked confident in front of the camera unlike a lot of presenters do.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 17, 2005 05:33PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Considering hes not an F1 fan he didnt do a bad job. Its ITV who did the bad job putting him there. I wouldnt be able to do a good job presenting football, because im not a fan.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 17, 2005 05:56PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
I didnt mind him apart from the Button loving.
Date: October 17, 2005 06:33PM
just noticed the spelling mistake in Mini's sigpic :)

Date: October 17, 2005 07:14PM
Posted by: dolinseks
Yeah, its Ayrton, not Aryton.

Date: October 17, 2005 07:32PM
Posted by: -Mikey-
I'd like to see angus scott doing it. He did a good job imo at the race he did (can't remember what one)

Date: October 17, 2005 07:38PM
Posted by: Sauber89
no he didnt he was wooden and had less knowledge than jim " in the wet tony you want tyo keep it on the track" and people moaned at jim :S

Date: October 17, 2005 08:19PM
Posted by: whutom
Anybody notice Jim's hint at the end of the show at who was replacing him?
He said something about runners and RYDERS, and he put a bit more emphasis into saying ryder.
Or maybe its just me going mad

Date: October 17, 2005 08:19PM
Posted by: markko
I liked Jim, he was just F1 for me! The way he handled USA 05 was superb if I remember rightly. He'll be missed, I just hope he's not replaced by some A1GP-like presenter.
Date: October 17, 2005 08:30PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I think Jim Rosenthial did a good job. Yeah, maybe he wasn't the BIGGEST fan, but I think the sport grew on him a lot over his time presenting. IIRC, Murray Walker praised him as one of the most 'eager' people he'd come across in terms of wanting to find out more about the sport.

[Website]
Date: October 17, 2005 08:43PM
@ Whutom, wasn't there news about Jim leaving and Steve Ryder repleacing him a few weeks ago on this forum? I'm sure I read it here.

I liked Angus Scott too, was it Spa he did?

Date: October 17, 2005 08:47PM
Posted by: whutom
It was Spa that Angus Scott did, and I also read that Steve Ryder was going to ITV anyway in the paper a month or two ago to do the football I think, but if Rosenthal is going to do football then they will probably have Ryder doing F1

Date: October 18, 2005 02:16AM
Posted by: J i m
I read what I think was offical confirmation of Steve Rider presenting the F1 next year in Autosport a few weeks ago. However it was only a little snipnet in the side coloum, so it's more than possible that could be wrong.

It is extremely likely though that it will Rider.
Date: October 18, 2005 10:12AM
Posted by: montana_uk
Well, if it is Steve Ryder, then lets hope that he has been keeping his finger on F1's pulse, while ITV have had the coverage rights for the last 9 years or so, as things have certainly changed. I'm sure he has been, or he will be doing a lot of reading this off-season...:-)

Laters,

Montana_UK
Date: October 18, 2005 12:56PM
Posted by: J i m
I think Rider always had enthusiam (not in the sickly James Allen way thankfully) for the sport.

But it has always been belived he is a fan first and foremost, and if that is the case then, I think it is pretty safe to assume he'l be on the ball.

Although many didn't like Rosenthal (Grim... myself included) we'd have to admit considering his complete lack of knowledge and to an extent enthusiasm for the sport, he didn't really do a bad job. He certianly is a skilled presenter.
Date: October 18, 2005 02:10PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Angus Scott did Spa. Mind you, you can't blame him for being a bit dim at that race, it was his first F1 race presenting, he's been doing rallies for the last couple of years. Like Jim was at first. The more you do it, the more you learn and know.

I don't have much recollection of Steve Rider presenting Formula 1. Strange really that I paid more attention to it when it was on ITV!
Date: October 18, 2005 04:54PM
Posted by: zulu_85
In a way I'll miss Jim - I thought he was alright, and yes he did do a fine job considering he was dumped there by ITV.

But I'd love for Steve Ryder to be the one that replaces him. For me Steve was the fourth man in the BBC's coverage: Murray and James in the box, Jonathan Palmer - later Tony Jardine - down in the pits (when Palmer joined Murray after James died) and then Steve introducing it all. Steve also presented most if not all the special programs the BBC did about F1 that I can remember (certainly in the early 90s at least) so yeah, I'd be happy to see him do it again - certainly a different brand of presenting than Jim though.
But yes, just as long as they don't "learn" some lessons from Sky - Ben Edwards and John Watson (perhaps largely because they bring back happy memories of watching F1 on Eurosport in the mid 90s) are the ONLY redeeming feature about Sky's Coverage
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy