Speed Channel On Jenson Button....

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
Speed Channel On Jenson Button....
Date: October 16, 2005 11:07PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Watched the Chinese GP on SPEED Channel here in the states, and got to listen to their "F1 end of season" awards. Their most overrated driver in F1? BUTTON, with WEBBER a close second! How refreshing to know there are some in the racing media actually ready to call a spade a spade!

So lets all give Button the praise he deserves! 100 GP races without a win!! And lest we forget, no world champion in the history of the sport has passed his hundredth grand prix without winning a single race.

Of course Jens blames it on the shoddy piece of craftsmanship Honda is giving him to drive, and of course Jens and his old man threw a wild cocktail bash at the Chinese GP to woo all his media pals and insure he remains their darling.

Nevertheless, just for a reference point, lets take a peek at Sir Jackie Stewart's F1 career. HE competed in just 99 grands prix -- but WON 27 times and collected three drivers' titles.

I wonder what Jens excuses will be like next season? "Rubens gets the best equipment?" "The Honda V8 is low on power?" Who knows... it's a mystery man wasn't meant to understand.....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Re: Speed Channel On Jenson Button....
Date: October 16, 2005 11:15PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
I completely agree.

Date: October 16, 2005 11:43PM
Posted by: chet
yea because Stewart is really comparable to Button *rolls*

different times ffs

and the no driver who hasnt won within 100gps.. u really JB will care.. hes not like.. the championship is impossible now :\

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 17, 2005 12:15AM
Posted by: Covfan
I completely disagree
Date: October 17, 2005 01:53AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yea because Stewart is really comparable to
> Button *rolls*
>
> different times ffs
>
> and the no driver who hasnt won within 100gps.. u
> really JB will care.. hes not like.. the
> championship is impossible now :\
>
Dude, compare JB to whoever you want. That comparison was from an ariticle on F1Racing.net. But it doesn't really matter which yardstick you measure Button with does it? He always comes up short....

And hey, 100 GP's is something JB should be proud of! Very few F1 drivers do as poorly as he has and manage to stick around long enough to lose 100 GP's in a row.....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2005 09:08AM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: October 17, 2005 02:00AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I totally agree with Speed. Not sure about there decsion for Webber 2nd, JV would get 2nd for me, but yup, Jenson is massivly over-rated for someone who hasnt achived anything

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 17, 2005 03:06AM
Posted by: Echo1
Give JB a car to win then if he fails you can rip him apart. Only thick @#$%& buy into hype...
Date: October 17, 2005 04:05AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
2004 he had 2nd best car for most of the year and didnt win whilst Kimi and JPM managed it ;-)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 17, 2005 04:07AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
I dont see whats wrong with webber. Unlike button webber has never driven a top 3 car.
Date: October 17, 2005 04:42AM
Posted by: abcdefg
I bet Jenson Button is just another Andrea de Cesaris. hope he can break de Cesaris' record of most grand prix starts without a win
Date: October 17, 2005 05:03AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
i see button as a ricardo patrese...he'll be around for years and win, maybe a couple of races if he's lucky.

disagree with webber being 2nd most oevrrated, he showed in china that he's worth a decent car...just needs to stop crashing into people.
Date: October 17, 2005 07:47AM
Posted by: Briere
Mika Hakkinen won his 96th GP
Date: October 17, 2005 07:52AM
Posted by: Guimengo
he was given the victory :P
Date: October 17, 2005 08:03AM
Posted by: Slash
i'll assure you fernando alonso will never win another championship., but the day jenson does he'll repeat., BTW., next year willl be barrichello's last
Date: October 17, 2005 08:17AM
Posted by: b-tone
Not sure about there decsion for Webber 2nd, JV would get 2nd for me

i havent really seen anyone rating villeneuve. most are saying he's past it, so he hasnt really been over rated.
otherwise i agree about button. sure give him the top car and he'll win, but same can be said about anyone. so how do you get a top car? by proving yourself in a crap car - not pissing about in the 2nd best car.

____
Tony

Date: October 17, 2005 08:50AM
Posted by: chet
pissing about in the 2nd best car?

lol you really do make me laugh when it comes to this subject.

i wont say any more because it will probably get shredded by some comment about cheating :\

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 17, 2005 08:56AM
Posted by: Lemming
DaveEllis Wrote:
> 2004 he had 2nd best car for most of the year and
> didnt win whilst Kimi and JPM managed it
>
>

even Trulli managed it, that's saying something...

Date: October 17, 2005 10:41AM
Posted by: Covfan
Briere Wrote:
> Mika Hakkinen won his 96th GP
>
>
>

Surely you can't be counting that "win" at Jerez 97, or even Melbourne 98.

Jenson Button is a bloody decent driver and all he needs is the car in the right circumstances to win, like any other decent driver (Now, which GP's was it last season he was in a position to win and failed to do so? I can only think of 1 and a certain German in a day-glo orange car was on form that day.)
Date: October 17, 2005 11:11AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
yes, but remember that hakkinen drove some god-awful cars through the years (lotus, 94, 95 and 96 mclarens). in 1997 he could've won britain, austria or luxembourg before he was given the win at jerez. and then he cleaned up in 98 and 99. you can't compare his situation with button's, who's driven moderate to good cars (ok, apart from the 01 benetton) all his f1 career.
Date: October 17, 2005 12:51PM
Posted by: Zcott
Drivers don't overrate themselves - it's the press who rate a driver. Therefore all the Speed guys are saying are "we [the press] thought too highly of this guy, our mistake".

Jenson can get the job done if he has decent equipment, like most racing drivers. Putting his car 3rd on the grid on his first visit to Spa is easier said than done, and he's consistently blown away both his team mates at BAR. Sure, things haven't held together long enough for a win yet, but I don't doubt that he'll win one eventually.

You have to remember that he's just 25, and could easily still be in F1 in another 10 years. Give it some time......Hakkinen took ages to come good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy