Date: August 06, 2003 10:54PM
Posted by: b-tone

____
Tony

Re: Famous / notorious F1 victories
Date: August 07, 2003 01:38AM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
Brazilian GP 89 (cant find pic)

First win for a car with a semi-auto gearbox. - Mansell, Ferrari.

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: August 07, 2003 02:35AM
Posted by: Pooky
look at schueys face!

he punches the air when he crosses the line, and as irvine said at the time then when he hears the boos, he plays the serious 'we did wrong' inncoent face!

Date: August 07, 2003 03:16AM
Posted by: Mark
jerez 97 would be up there for blatant race fixing followed by australia 98
Date: August 07, 2003 03:17AM
Posted by: _Alex_
He didn't punch the air, he put his hand up rather sheepishly.

Famous victories of late have been rare. The last one of note was probably Barrichello at Hockenheim in 2000, although I would count Suzuka 2000 up there too. Then you've got Hill at Spa in 1998, Panis at Monaco in 1996, Schumacher at Barcelona in 1996, Schumacher at Spa in 1995, Senna at Donington in 1993. Then you have victories like Mansell at Silverstone in 1987, Senna at Jerez in 1986, Senna at Estoril in 1985, Watson at Long Beach in 1983 and Detroit in 1982, Patrese at Monaco in 1982, Ickx at Rouen in 1968, Fangio at the Nordschleife in 1957. They're the ones that immediately spring to mind.

As for infamous victories, yeah Austria 2002 rates up there pretty highly, along with Oz 1998! In hindsight, so does Jerez 1997. And Indianapolis 2002.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: August 07, 2003 03:36AM
Posted by: Pooky
famous victories that i remember watching are:

(in no particular order)

Suzuka 2000 - Schumacher
Austria 1999 - Irvine (murray at the end! "and eddie irvine brillianty, brilliantly wins the austrian grand prix......... fannnntasstic!!" *in murray tone*)

Spa 1998 - Hill
Monza 2001 - Montoya - but also for very different reasons that race
Spa 2001 - Hakinnen (or was it 2000) when he made that come back and caught and passed zonta with schumacher

USA 2001 - Hakkinen - his last win i think
Brazil 2003 - Fisichella
Silverstone 1998 - Schuey wins in the pits
Suzuka 1998 / 1999 - Hakinnen
France 1999 - Frentzen for jordan
Nurburgring 1999 - Herbert / trulli / barichello podium! also diniz huge shunt

hungary 1998 - schumacher fight back
silverstone 2003 - rubens, wow!
hockenhiem 2001 - rubens first win, on slicks on wet track - amazing
Spa 1998 - schuey/DC incident

Monza 1999 - hakk spun out, frentzen won!
Monaco 2002 - DC held back much faster ferrari's for 77 laps and won - brilliant awesome display of driving under pressure with NO mistakes by DC

Canada 2003 - Schumacher somehow beat a faster williams/michelin duo

theres probalbly more, but i cant remeber them all!!!!!!

Date: August 07, 2003 03:55AM
Posted by: marcl
1994 imola MS punched the air and waved to the crowd even though Roland died on Sat and senna crashed badly on Sun.

Silverstone 2001 MS winning in the pit lane.

Hungry 1989 Mansell won from 16th.

Japan 1988 Senna great come back drive

Mexico 1990 Prost won from starting miles back.

France 1990 Capelli (ok he did not win) but what a drivein a car that did not even qualify for mexico.

Brazil 1993 Senna won even though he got a 10 sec stop and go.
Date: August 07, 2003 04:18AM
Posted by: b-tone

1959 Sebring
Brabham had led most of it, but must have had last lap problems, as McLaren won by half a second from Trintignant.
Mclaren was 22 years 3 months and 13 days old - the youngest ever F1 winner.

____
Tony

Date: August 07, 2003 05:09AM
Posted by: andrew_S
stewart at monaco 71, flag to flag victory, with no rear brakes, senna at monaco 92, Hunt at zandvoort 75, suzuka 94, and estoril 93 are others that springs to mind other than those mentioned

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: August 07, 2003 06:21AM
ms didn't win in the pit lane in 2001
Date: August 07, 2003 06:37AM
Posted by: marcl
What year was it i always make that mistake.
Date: August 07, 2003 07:20AM
it was 1998
Date: August 07, 2003 07:29AM
Posted by: Vader
Maybe Dallas 1984 where Keke Rosberg won and Mansell - who had pole - had to push his dead Lotus over the start-finish line and came in sixth position.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 07, 2003 07:48AM
Posted by: Eagle
How about Fangio in 1957 at the Nurburgring?...his car had major problems, he was about 2 or 3 minutes behind, and yet he still managed to reel in the front runners, over take them and win the race.

Surely one of the greatest drives of all time, and definitely worthy of his 5th world championship.

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Date: August 07, 2003 07:52AM
Posted by: adityamunshi
tazio Nuvolari At the Nordschliefe in 1935 after a refueling problem.
Date: August 07, 2003 01:03PM
Posted by: Todays_Horse
Mansell - 1985 Brands Hatch
Mansell (again) Hungary 1989, and Brazil same year.
Gilles Villenueve - That one where he had a train of cars behind him all race and won in an inferior car
M Schumacher - Hungary when he had to really go for it....
Mansell (sorry) Silverstone when he was 30 odd seconds behind piquet caught him and dummied him on hangar straight
Senna - 1993 donnington showing up prost big stylee

And countless others i cant be bothered to type.............

As for Schumacher on the podium at Imola 1994, i dont recall him 'cheering, jumping' etc at all. Ive got it on tape somewhere, ill check but im damn sure he didnt

'The beak of Ayrton Senna's chicken is pulling ahead!' ~ Murray Walker
Date: August 07, 2003 01:10PM
Posted by: bigears
ow about Fangio in 1957 at the Nurburgring?...his car had major problems, he was about 2 or 3 minutes behind, and yet he still managed to reel in the front runners, over take them and win the race.

Surely one of the greatest drives of all time, and definitely worthy of his 5th world championship.

That was class! Fangio predicted before the race that it will be two way battle between the Ferraris and the Maseratis as he felt that the cars can handle the dangerous curves and drops.

So when the race was going along, Fangio produced a 2 minutes cushion ahead of the Ferraris as he entered into the pits.

As fresh tyres and more fuel was added into Fangio's car. Suddenly one of the mechanics dropped a wheel nut and fumbled it into under of the car. Losing valuable seconds.

Fangio saw the Ferraris roared past into the Nordkehre. Finally the mechanic put back the wheel nut into the left rear wheel. He immediately floored the throttle as he try to catch up the Ferraris who are 45 seconds ahead with just more than 10 laps to go around the 22km track.

So Fangio drove like he never drove before. He continually broke the Nordschleife's lap record 10 times in a row! He was gaining into the Ferraris so quickly and finally on the third last lap, he overtook Peter Collins just before Hatzenbach. Then on the second last lap he finally overtook Mike Hawthorn near the daunting Fuschsrohre right on the grass!

Hawthorn said to his crew afterwards then Fangio was mad to overtake me on along the grass at one of the fastest sections of the track!

The crowd was going crazy. Even the Maserati crew and Fangio's wife couldn't beleive it. Finally he crossed the s/f line, he immediatley kissed his wife as he traditionally do that in his every race. He was so exhausted after the amazing race.

Tazio Nuvolari at the Nordschliefe in 1935 after a refueling problem.

In 1935 he was induced to return to Alfa Romeo and scored one of his greatest victories at the Nurburgring. Driving an obsolete Alfa against the might of the German nation. He drove at the ragged edge and sometimes over it. His relentless pursuit caused the lead Mercedes to retire with a blown tire near the Karussell and he cruised to victory in front of a large gathering of Nazi party officials.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: August 07, 2003 01:15PM
Posted by: Todays_Horse
Going by previous topics, if Fangio passed him on the grass, then he should of been bumped 10 places down the grid at the next race!

Its a fascinating story that race, i recall reading it somewhere and being amazed!

'The beak of Ayrton Senna's chicken is pulling ahead!' ~ Murray Walker
Date: August 07, 2003 01:16PM
Posted by: bigears
Oh yeah an other one!

Who can forget the 1973 Canadian GP at Mosport?

It was a real mess and the timekeepers can't work out who was the winner of the GP!

[www.f1rogues.com]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy