ITV knew about the stunt threat!

Posted by Zcott 
ITV knew about the stunt threat!
Date: July 24, 2003 08:16AM
Posted by: Zcott
British Formula One broadcaster ITV has admitted that its presenters knew about the potential for Sunday's track invasion, but claimed they could not be certain that the Silverstone race was a target.

The company has revealed that presenter Jim Rosenthal and commentators James Allen and Martin Brundle had received letters from Cornelius Horan containing a threat to 'do something that would get you talking about me'. Just one missive amid the hundreds each member of the team gets prior to any given race, the letters were consigned to the rubbish bin.

"I received a letter which turned out to be from this man but, on this occasion, I read the first few lines and then threw it in the bin," Rosenthal confirmed to Britain's Guardian newspaper, "In the commentating business, you do tend to get some very strange mail from time to time, and his theme seemed to be 'why do you spend all your time talking about racing cars when you should be reading the Bible?'."

None of the commentating trio were aware that the threat referred specifically to the British GP, where Horan evaded stewards to perform a 'dance of death' with the 20 drivers racing down Silverstone's Hangar Straight.

"What it specifically did not say was that he was going to run on to the Silverstone circuit during the grand prix," Allen said, "He included photocopies of press cuttings about himself and a copy of a letter from Margaret Thatcher commending him on his efforts for world peace - but there was no specific threat to the British race."

Horan has been remanded in custody for a further week, and is likely to be charged with 'malicious trespass'. ITV cut to a commercial break almost as soon as the invader was spotted on track.

Re: ITV knew about the stunt threat!
Date: July 24, 2003 08:48AM
Posted by: Korn_Freak
woh

we in australia got all the footage, as we was about to goto break when he came out, and they cut back to the race just before the ads started.

Date: July 24, 2003 09:19AM
Posted by: X_Acto
In Portugal we don't see the 'dance of death' because there was a commercial break, but we seen it a little bit later after a replay.

I'm glad that we didn't see it live.

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: July 24, 2003 09:57AM
Posted by: sasjag
it should be like in football/soccer, if there's a streaker/pitch invasion they're not legally allowed to show them on TV, as its basically what they want (saying that we gave a standing ovation to the streaker at the FA Trophy final :P)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 24, 2003 10:16AM
Posted by: villej
little offtopic:
In year 2000(or 2001) there in finland was football match Finland vs. Turkey, If I remember right it is second halftime when about 100 turkey's fans ran to the field... players stood at field and watched when people ran around field... It took few minutes to get them out of field.
and it's shown on TV...

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: July 25, 2003 07:35PM
Posted by: tux
what happened to the guy who ran onto hockenhime? i think it was 2000 or 2001, mabey 99, or 98 or 97, 55? ;)

Date: July 25, 2003 07:38PM
Posted by: Zcott
He got a lot of money from Mercedes Benz, I think, for unfair dismissal.

Date: July 25, 2003 07:43PM
Posted by: tux
lol, he worked for merc?

Date: July 25, 2003 08:08PM
Posted by: Ellis
He did at one point yes, he was sacked before the GP and wore an anti-mercedes slogan on his rain coat thing

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 25, 2003 09:15PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
I'm in Aus and we got the "dance of death" as N10 threw to an ad-break, but wasn't James Allen doing his nut when they cut back?

I thought that if we got James Allen then ITV viewers would have got it too.

Maybe Ill have to go and watch the tape again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy