Questions About The Turbo Era In F1...

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
Questions About The Turbo Era In F1...
Date: August 07, 2005 03:04AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Can someone tell me about the turbo era in F1? How long did it last? Were the cars significantly faster? Why was the turbo outlawed? Any particular challenges in driving a F1 turbo machine compared to a normally aspirated car? Any links to good sites where I can do some research on this era of F1 history?

Thanks...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2005 03:36AM by Jagdpanzer.
Re: Questions About The Turbo Era In F1...
Date: August 07, 2005 03:07AM
Posted by: chet
hmm well they got close to 1000hp :O:O

i think it started in 78 with the Renualt... not too sure...

i think it won at Dijon lol the great battle with Gilles ;-) i think lol

it ended in 88, that was its last season but in 89 the cars were faster anyways lol

but i remember reading somewhere during the turbo era conserving fuel was a major factor

and thats all really knw :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 07, 2005 03:19AM
Posted by: pacerboy
Date: August 07, 2005 05:03AM
Posted by: Joeku
yes the carsd in 1987 were about 900hp in race and supercharged in qalifying to be about 1300hp.

________________________________________________________________________________

Date: August 07, 2005 07:05AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Joeku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes the carsd in 1987 were about 900hp in race and
> supercharged in qalifying to be about 1300hp.
>

Holy cow!

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: August 07, 2005 10:43AM
Posted by: Pooky
some turbo charged motors ran 1500 bhp 1 lap qualifying engines, before they detonated themselves!

about driving them, it was crucial to keep the engine rpm in the 'boost zone' , i.e if you missed a gear, the turbo lag would be so great half the grid would go by you

so keeping the turbo spinning i.e where the power is was the art of driving one

Date: August 07, 2005 12:08PM
Posted by: Covfan
But F1 only started in 2000? Didn't it?
Date: August 07, 2005 12:30PM
Posted by: IceKimi
I remember Senna in Estoril '86 in his fantastic qualyfing lap Renault engine had 1368hp(that was a record at the time)

Team McLaren
Grand Prix entries:597 Wins:148 Pole Positions:122
Date: August 07, 2005 04:14PM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ IceKimi,

use this pic for your sig, its only 8KB, as your current one is over the limit :)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: August 07, 2005 04:38PM
Posted by: IceKimi
Thanks Muks_C

Team McLaren
Grand Prix entries:597 Wins:148 Pole Positions:122
Date: August 08, 2005 06:01PM
Posted by: rocker
The 89 cars where faster than 88 cars 'cause Turbo in 1988 was under resticted power rules. 88 cars wheres slower than 87.

Also they reduced the Gas tank for turbo cars in 88 so they couldn't got with the boost on maximun all the time. That's why Prost letted Berger pass in Adelaide, 'cause he knew he was gonna be all power all the time and probably won't have enought fuel to end the race (Gherard had told that in the morning to Alain when they were having breakfas, it was the last turbo race so Gherard wanted to fell the power all the way to the last time). But he spun and didn't ended the race anyway.

I remeber something like in 86 that Renault had a bi-turbo engine just for qualify but just Ayrton Senna could run with it, they didn't trusted the car to Johnny Dumfries. I just remember this from that time, but I never read something on magazines about it. Will check my old newspapers and magazines to confirm it.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy