WTF is this all about ??????

Posted by LS. 
Re: WTF is this all about ??????
Date: July 14, 2003 12:39AM
Posted by: Boils
slower F1 cars would be stupid

look at it this way

u have the awesome downforce of F1 cars and the super sticky tyres of modern F1 and the outstanding braking capacity, the only thing different about f1 with smaller engines would be there top speed down the straights.

Now how is that meant to "spice things up"??????

Date: July 14, 2003 01:21AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Personally I don't see what was wrong with the FIA's initial proposal to run the cars with standard Monza-spec rear wings. That would make a huge difference at places like Spa and Suzuka. It would be fantastic!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: July 14, 2003 01:25AM
Posted by: Casper
The only 2 things I want that come in 2 litres are Milk and Juice. Not F1 cars.

[akiro3.com]
------------
'That was a major, major sausage.' - Barry Sheene
Date: July 14, 2003 01:51AM
Posted by: Vader
During the turbo era they had only 1,5 litres.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 14, 2003 02:23AM
Posted by: Pooky
yes but they had whopping great turbos strapped to them to produce 1500hp, with huge slick tyres!

we would have 2.4 litre 15000rpm 750bhp engines like CART.

i am excited about the prospect of F1 engines soon breaking the 1000bhp level! and it wont be long before they do this

if they dont like the speed:

to cut speed on straight: add drag by using a monaco style rear wing

in the corners: reduce downforce

it is a tricky one, because by cutting top speed you would add to cornering speed

F1 is meant to be fast, so lets just leave it

Date: July 14, 2003 02:42AM
I don't believe top speed has ever been the FIA's concern. It's cornering speed, which is why they are proposing these standardised wings. And it's a good idea. The sooner it's implemented, the better. Don't know why they haven't enforced it already, actually, it can't be that difficult!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: July 14, 2003 03:00AM
i too dont mind really about cutting cornering speed,

it will actually add to driver challenge, because previously where they could go flat thru euo rouge, 180r etc. they will now have to take a big lift!

Date: July 14, 2003 03:51AM
Posted by: marcl
Within a few years of 2.4 engines they will be as fast as they are now, look when they went to 3 from 3.5. The cars went just as fast as the smaller engine was easier to package.

Reducing the engine size is not gonna help, they need to look at the wings tyres and driver aids.
Date: July 14, 2003 04:04AM
Posted by: sasjag
I agree with alex, the standardised monza spec wings would be perfect IMO. Like Brundle sed u can't uninvent aerodynamics, so just give them oes they ain't allowed to develop

of course they'll just whack the money and R&D into other areas of the cars, like suspension, bargeboards and noses

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 14, 2003 04:26AM
1,5 turbos with 1500 bhp (only for qualifying - in races they had less bhp) - what about acceleration? Compared to modern F1 cars the turbos where snails. Turbo cars are much too heavy and drive like a tank compared to modern F1 cars. I don't want turbos back. I already hated them in the 80s.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 14, 2003 04:47AM
i didnt say i wanted them back!

what skill tho, to drive a turbo F1 car in those days, a slight mistake on the gear changem you would drop to many revs and the turbo lag would kill about 500 horses, and you would get overtaken!

problem nowadays, is that there is hardly any area where driver error can occur, except under braking, so thats partly why overtaking is so rare aswell

Date: July 14, 2003 06:12AM
problem nowadays, is that there is hardly any area where driver error can occur

If that's what you want you don't need expensive changes in aerodynamics and engine rules. just bring back Sato, Massa, Tuero, Mazzcane and Yoong and you'll get more driver's errors than you can dream of. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 14, 2003 06:59AM
lol vader, but even for these drivers it is harder to make an error

when we had manual paddle shift gear changes, no TC, no LC etc. mistakes were made by even the front runners!

hakkinen in monza 99 etc.

they need to make the cars harder to drive

Date: July 14, 2003 07:15AM
Posted by: marcl
That mk error can not happen now due to the fully auto gears
Date: July 14, 2003 09:38AM
Posted by: make
Kimi sayd he downshifts manually so that kind of error can occur.

Date: July 14, 2003 12:55PM
Kimi is talking rubbish ;)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: July 15, 2003 01:08AM
Posted by: Boils
The standard wing idea is great!
but the engine idea is stupid. unless they plan on getting 1000hp out of 2.5's then i think its pointless

Date: July 15, 2003 02:24AM
I very much like the idea of this Sunday qualifying, too. Trouble is, ITV would never be able to fit both qualifying and the race into their schedule, because they'd have to satisfy all the Trisha and Kilroy fans with their BS chatshows.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: July 15, 2003 03:20AM
Posted by: Toby Burke
I, myself, would like to see the turbo option come back. Or at least another alternative engine rule. When the 3 litres took over in 1970, any performance gained came from chassis and aero developments. Not that there isn't more that could be gained, but those two areas have been extensively refined since.

The option of the 1.5L turbo and the 3.0L normally aspirated engines brought some variety to F1. The DFV's were strong and reliable. The turbos were explosive (more ways than one, too) and a completely different type of power delivery. With the advances in turbo and blower technology, that power would be much smoother and deliverable to the track in today's cars.

My only concern would be the turbos would be even better than they turned out to be the first time the 3.0L vs Turbo scene was ran. And, they wouldn't be affordable to anyone but factory teams. And I don't care to watch 3 Ferraris, 3 Williams and 3 McLarens battle for 8 points..:(
Date: July 15, 2003 03:54AM
Posted by: andrew_S
well the idea here is to cut bhp and therefore top speed, introducing turbo's is not, and, as you say, the early 80s is a case in point for refusing turbos, its the same, situation as now, those that have and those that dont, and those that dont, have no chance, not even on street tracks like the early 80s (not that we have any left that is...)

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy