Jenson "I am the best"

Posted by Mini Maestro 
Jenson "I am the best"
Date: July 08, 2005 10:21PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Quote from : The Times Newspaper

i cant be bothed to type up the whole article but heres the quote

JENSON BUTTON strode into Silverstone yesterday with one conviction that many will doubt unless he wins the British Grand Prix. He believes he is the best driver in Formula One - and that includes seven time champion Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, the championship leader, and Kimi Raikkonen, who has helped the spaniard to carve up most of the victories this season....

..."It's annoying because i 100 percent dont think they [the other drivers] are as good as me - that's only my opinion, but it is my opinion" he said yesterday as Formula One gathered under the rain clouds at the former Northamptonshire airfield "I am not worried about anyone in F1 when it comes to challenging them if we have got equal equipment. It is frustrating, but you have to stick at it and stay determined as i know my time will come. I am not getting to downbeat because i know i am with a very good team. In fact, it is quite exciting to try to fight back."

is this just trashtalk for the british fans or what?
seriously is he smoking the stuff stoddart uses and extremely high when quoted? because he is far from the best in F1 and by going to williams mate you arent going to win the title anytime soon
Re: Jenson "I am the best"
Date: July 08, 2005 10:23PM
Posted by: chet
hmmm prob been errr hyped a bit but c'mon..

is he really gonna say.. yeah i think xx is better than? :\

imo kimi is waaaayy better than any1 out there.. but i wud put JB 3rd/4th best..

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 08, 2005 10:31PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
That has to be a miss quote. Nobody, especailly not someone who has never won a race, is that far up there own arse. Even Eddie Irvine, who really did think he was a driving god, thought he wasnt the best.

As for challenging with equal equipment, if i was him i'd be worried about Fisi, since he pretty much slapped him silly last time

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2005 10:36PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 08, 2005 10:48PM
Posted by: senninho
I agree with Dave. Jenson's always going to talk himself up, which most drivers would probably do, but not to that extent!

Date: July 08, 2005 11:00PM
Posted by: Vader
I heard next year will be Jenson's year. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 08, 2005 11:03PM
Posted by: Alesi no1
He got trounced in 01 by fisichella,who is getting hammered by alonso so draw your own coclusions but facts speak for themselves HE IS NOT THE BEST maybe 5th or 6th best
Date: July 08, 2005 11:07PM
Posted by: The Lopper
..."It's annoying because i 100 percent dont think they [the other drivers] are as good as me - that's only my opinion, but it is my opinion"

Its gotta be a misquote because he sounds Californian. "i 100 per cent don't think......"
Date: July 08, 2005 11:09PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Button the best? At what, hype? First the "All Button" version of the new F1 Racing Magazine and now this tripe. Button isn't even in the top 50% of F1 drivers, much less the best. And when he joins his overhyped new teammate Webber at Williams next season we will all see the incredible depths that team will crash to.

Button the best... at PR maybe but at very littel else F1 wise....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: July 08, 2005 11:13PM
Posted by: The Lopper
....says the man with David Coulthard in his sig. j/k :)
Date: July 08, 2005 11:17PM
Posted by: Party-Boy
Alesi no1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He got trounced in 01 by fisichella,who is getting
> hammered by alonso so draw your own coclusions but
> facts speak for themselves HE IS NOT THE BEST
> maybe 5th or 6th best

This is not fair conclusion since Jenson drove his 2nd F1-year in a team with maaany problems. Maybe Fisico was better to handle those problems with a team which he knew for several years.
In my opinion Jenson is a very gifted driver but better than Kimi, Alonso or even Schumacher?!? Hard to say...I don't think so
That's the problem with those drivers like Montoya, Alonso or Button: Blah blah blah but up to now no great victory. Kimi is in this case a lot better
Date: July 08, 2005 11:23PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Very diffcult to say who's the best when none of them have equal equipment.

Even team mates have different cars, due to their car setup.

I'll of course say Raikkonen is the best, but it might not be true. Jenson does seem to have a certain...something about his driving though.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: July 08, 2005 11:41PM
Posted by: LS.
when a driver beleives he is'nt the best, thats when its time to walk away

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 08, 2005 11:44PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Far from it. Its when you stop belive you can be the best is when you walk away.

Going in thinking your the best stright away is simply ego. Going in thinking you have what it takes (or KNOWING you have what it takes) to become the best is different

Only schumacher, perhaps Alonso, at a push, Kimi, can claim they are the best on the grid at the moment

IMO anyway

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2005 11:44PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 08, 2005 11:55PM
Posted by: LS.
dunno what the mindset is of an F1 driver, but surely they must all think if they had the best overal package they'd be top dog.

thats what Jenson is obviously thinking

If you've never had the top car but have proven you can run at the front then theres always the element of what if?

i'd have been more suprised if he had said " maybe i'm a top 3 driver with the right car & thats my limit

Mansell went all those years without a victory and a team member at lotus i believe was quoted as saying that mansell would never win so long as he a hole in his arse, yet nige still had belief that he had what it took

when the right package came at the right time in 92 and it all finally came together he was proven right :)

Buttons never had a truely great car, and when he was competitive last year he still had the awesome ferrari to fight with, but he did a sterling job despite mclaren and williams and renault being off the pace

I think Jenson could be a world champion given the right car, unfortuanately up to yet he's only had the second best car ( 2004) yet he put in some superb drivers, hockenheim being one, he was definately the star of the show that race

i'm not a button fan, but he has shown he can be a top driver when the car is working well, not this year though

maybe the main problem is ITV overhyping him, but thats out of his control

i just feel he's being given a bit of raw deal by you guys, he's proven he can cut at the sharp end when the cars good

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 08, 2005 11:55PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Far from it. Its when you stop belive you can be
> the best is when you walk away.
>
> Going in thinking your the best stright away is
> simply ego. Going in thinking you have what it
> takes (or KNOWING you have what it takes) to
> become the best is different
>
> Only schumacher, perhaps Alonso, at a push, Kimi,
> can claim they are the best on the grid at the
> moment
>
> IMO anyway

fully agree
Date: July 09, 2005 12:40AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Vader Wrote:
> I heard next year will be Jenson's year.

No, no, no, it's obviously DC's!

[Website]
Date: July 09, 2005 12:49AM
Posted by: Imran
I like to think that if i raced in F1 I would be the best.. prob not true..but its nice to think so..at least makes feel happy when i trying to get a 1.2 corsa to hit 100

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: July 09, 2005 02:27AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Say what you will about DC. He has shown in the past he can run up front consistently and also has a few wins under his belt. How many wins does Button have again?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: July 09, 2005 08:00AM
Posted by: Slash
Alonso Had trouble last year keeping up with jarno trulli, kimi had it with nick, and i bet if juan get it right for the rest of the season he'll be very close and that would make him not that "special", Juan was pretty much tied wiht ralf so they're both not that special., jenson is the only guy in the grid along schumacher whom can say they've dominated their teammates., in 2001 the car was totally awfull and he had zero experience, and 'bout fisico being beaten by alonso and fisico beating jenson., i got a better one., jarno TRASHED alonso last year and jenson beat jarno in 2002., so......, and alonso is not beating fisico fair and straight, fisico has been unlucky., but i bet till the end of the year there's gonna be some races where fisico will get the best out of your alonso

cheers!
Date: July 09, 2005 12:48PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> Say what you will about DC. He has shown in the
> past he can run up front consistently and also has
> a few wins under his belt. How many wins does
> Button have again?

Well, to be honest, DC doesn't really have many for the cars he's had...

I mean, ok, he's won Silverstone, Spa and Monaco, but for the quuality of car he's been driving for most of his career, he's underperformed by quite some way.

Having said that, he has done very well this year :)

[Website]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy