Posted by -Mikey- 
Re: DC: Mclaren was a mistake!!
Date: June 28, 2005 12:51PM
Posted by: marcl
did he not i thought he did in a number of races
Date: June 28, 2005 01:51PM
Posted by: silverchamp
To say Hakkinen let his head drop in EVERY situation when he was down the field is wrong imo. Look at his drive in France 1999. He qualified 14th and did some awseome overtaking to finish 2nd. Similarly in Austria that year when DC punted him off at the 2nd corner, Mika fought from the P22 and finished 3rd!
And again in Spa 2000, when he had that silly spin, his head didn't 'drop,' he fought and took the win back with a great pass.
On occasion I agree, he didn't seem to be giving it everything, but we don't know what goes on inside the cockpit and whether the car has a problem or not.
Date: June 28, 2005 02:09PM
Posted by: Zyklef
@ marcl, yeah in that respect you are right, I was speaking purely in terms of championship position but as we all know for any season, it never gives the whole picture.
Date: June 28, 2005 02:09PM
Posted by: b-tone
mclaren was a mistake for dc as he didnt win the title there. just like ferrari ís a mistake for rubens, and hundreds of other mistakes for other drivers.
if you want to win the title but dint, then something went wrong.

____
Tony

Date: June 28, 2005 02:13PM
just as ferrari was wrong for alesi as well.

DC when he is on the ball is great no one better problem is he needs the car to be 100% which does not happen offen. He can not drive round car probs he can not just get in a drive the car even at monaco this year he talked down his chances before even getting in the repaired car
Date: June 28, 2005 06:04PM
Posted by: chet
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and MS isn't?
>
> when they're on form, of course they're good, cos
> they're 'on-form'.
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------

MS is always on form :P ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 28, 2005 06:13PM
is he lol there have been a few races that even he would admit to not being on form Japan 2003 comes to mind china 2004 :).

But some of DC races have been great like in france when he over took MS, australia 1997 and italy 1997 driving flat out the whole time.

Its just a shame he could not do it week in and week out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2005 06:14PM by marcl.
Date: June 28, 2005 06:55PM
Posted by: Muks_C
my point was that Chet said DC is great when he's on form, no-one can beat him.

but you can say that about every driver/sportsman in the world.

it just seems to me that MS very rarely has 'off-days', apart from Japan 2003, and China 2004 in the last few years.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 28, 2005 06:58PM
Posted by: tripleM
i have always been of an opinion that ultimately there's very little in terms of ability between most of the F1 drivers

Date: June 28, 2005 07:02PM
Posted by: Muks_C
really? so you think someone like Alex Yoong is as good as Kimi, but he was just unfortunate to have been with Minardi and not McLaren?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2005 07:02PM by Muks_C.
Date: June 28, 2005 07:07PM
Posted by: tripleM
i said most

there were races where Young was quite close to Webber (USA?)

I feel it all comes down mostly to mindset not physical abilities,i remember reading about a test in the early 60's where it was shown that Tony Brooks was more gifted to be an F1 driver than Moss and Brabham

IMO it's being close to 100% of the ability 100% of the time that makes the difference.

Doof i know,but that's how i feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2005 07:12PM by tripleM.
Date: June 28, 2005 07:15PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Some people were wondering why i said Hakkinen would have beaten Damo in 1998 &1999.

In my mind Damon was every bit as good as Hakkinen on his day if not better. However come 98, 99, Damon would have been 37, 38, and we saw how he deterioated in 1999.

If the battle between Damon and Mika were to have occurred in 1996, i believe Damon would have beaten Mika.
Date: June 28, 2005 08:20PM
Posted by: Advong
DC was also prone to mistakes, oz 95 was a good one, leading comfortably he crashed into the pit wall, made no sense.

Hakkinen vs Hill could have been a good battle, I'm still not convinced over Mika, he probably deserved the championship in 98, but not in 99, although nobody really deserved it in 99, everybody seemed to be trying to lose it that year.

As for all the drivers being as good as each other I don't believe that I think most of the midfield drivers are of a similar ability and their performance depends a lot on their car, then you have the great drivers who can perform better than their car, and then there's the pay drivers.
Date: June 28, 2005 09:20PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Hill was also prone to mistakes in the latter part of that year, but DC has made a lot of silly mistakes in recent years driving for McLaren
Date: June 28, 2005 09:23PM
Posted by: matthewp
To say Hakkinen let his head drop in EVERY situation when he was down the field is wrong imo. Look at his drive in France 1999. He qualified 14th and did some awseome overtaking to finish 2nd. Similarly in Austria that year when DC punted him off at the 2nd corner, Mika fought from the P22 and finished 3rd!
And again in Spa 2000, when he had that silly spin, his head didn't 'drop,' he fought and took the win back with a great pass.
On occasion I agree, he didn't seem to be giving it everything, but we don't know what goes on inside the cockpit and whether the car has a problem or not.

Basically Mika raised his game when he knew he had a car with which he could fight at the front, much like Kimi. He wasnt the same driver when the car was uncompetetive but if you're going to be champion thats not really relevant anyway :)

Date: June 29, 2005 08:48AM
people seem to forget that mika nearly died many a driver would never have got back in a car let alone win 2 championships. Karl was never the same after his crash and mikas was worse.

People say as well that piquet was never the same after his big crash at imola, where as someone like berger or jv they dont care about big crashes infact i think them 2 have had some of the biggest ones i have seen
Date: June 29, 2005 12:17PM
Posted by: Zcott
He wasnt the same driver when the car was uncompetetive but if you're going to be champion thats not really relevant anyway

Of course it's relevant! How a great driver performs in a bad car shows just how good they are. Think of Senna in the Toleman, or Schumacher in the F310. Being able to motivate yourself to a result in a bad car is one of the many things that should make up a worthy champion.

Date: June 29, 2005 12:30PM
mika never had a true winning car till 1998 maybe 1997. In 1992, 1994,1995 he gave it his all just cause of one day year 2001 people say he gave up.

In 2001 he could have won more races had the car not kept breaking down or failing to even get off the grid
Date: June 29, 2005 01:36PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
biased opinion from you marcl ;)
when mika was down he was down...
when mika was on it he was awesome but still schumacher is better :P
mika doesnt even make it into my top 10.
Date: June 29, 2005 01:39PM
in equal cars i.e f3 mika was faster than ms and made it into f1 faster :)

in order for ms to beat him he made mika crash
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy