HP of the F1s

Posted by Guimengo 
HP of the F1s
Date: June 10, 2003 02:32PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hi everybody, I'm just trying to find what is exactly the horsepower for each F1 car (Toyota, Ferrari, Renault, Sauber...). I know that a couple years ago Ferrari was 851, McLaren 855, Williams 853, but nowadays I can't find anything! Thanks a lot! :)

Guilherme

Re: HP of the F1s
Date: June 10, 2003 03:11PM
Posted by: Zcott
The teams generally don't like to release these kind of things, and will keep it very quiet. So it's unlikely that you'll find it, I'm afraid!

Date: June 10, 2003 03:14PM
Posted by: Vader
Even the data you have mentioned above is, I'm afraid, more guesswork than anything else.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 10, 2003 04:35PM
Posted by: sasjag
yes in this months F1 racng the have a feature on the engine men, and it gives the estimated outputs in that:

Ferrari 052: 890BHP
BMW P83: 900BHP
Ilmor: 860BHP
Renault: 810BHP
Cosworth CR-5: 860BHP
Cosworth CR-4: 810BHP
Honda RA003E: 840BHP
Toyota RVX-03: 855BHP

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 10, 2003 04:46PM
Posted by: LS.
of course the horsepower means nothing if your chassis/tyre combination is lacking in the overall package

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 10, 2003 04:55PM
How can you "estimate" the difference between 855bhp and 860 bhp, especially when this year nobody runs under the same conditions as the other drivers?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 10, 2003 05:07PM
Posted by: LS.
i think they look under the engine covers and count how many horses are under it

in minardi's case they found 16 donkeys

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 10, 2003 05:09PM
:)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 11, 2003 01:15AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
Date: June 11, 2003 05:51AM
Posted by: _Alex_
But donkeys have a real good kick!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 11, 2003 06:40AM
Posted by: sasjag
lol, apparently theer;s some way of calculating it :| i have nfi how tho

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 11, 2003 06:57AM
Posted by: Pooky
you can get quite a good estimate by using an exhaust sound analyser.

the f1 teams or engine manufactures have developed this software that can compute how much power an engine has by its exhaust note.

dont know how it works tho!!!

Date: June 11, 2003 09:47AM
Posted by: jginete
When i read the subject, i thought u were talking about Williams' sponsor...

Date: June 11, 2003 11:17AM
You could work it out on long fast straights (Hockemheim) with the old qualy system. You knew that all cars would have almost zero wings and not more than 610kg. If the weigth is the same and aerodynamics don't count that much, speed must be pure engine peformance. So you just compared top speeds at the end of long straights to work out the differences between the team. You could, howere, not say Ferrari has 834bhp and Williams has 845bhp. You could, however, see that in 98/99 Arrows did not really have aweak engine since their topspeeds at Hockenheim were pretty good.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 11, 2003 03:26PM
Sweet! Thanks for the help on the HP, because I'm trying to estimate the overall power of the cars counting the tyres and aerodynamics. And this surely helps! Thanks a lot everyone, specially sasjaq. By the way, McLaren is about 910 hp.

Guilherme

"Brasil rules!!" at least in some areas...
Date: June 11, 2003 03:31PM
Posted by: marcl
Wait for the new merc engine that is alleged to be the most powerful and sound really strange
Date: June 11, 2003 06:13PM
Yeah, it's supposed to have 930 hp! Which I think will give back the name Silver Arrow :)

ps: Brasil still rules.....

ps2:in some areas
Date: June 12, 2003 12:55AM
Posted by: Boils
To get a HP reading they put the cars on a Dyno (thats the short name i dont know what the long name is something like dynomatronic or something wierd like that :) )

the rear wheels spin on special rolling cylynder thingies and giant fans blow into the sidepods etc to simulate high speeds and stop the engines overheating and they climb up the gears and onto a computer goes the HP readings KW and tourque curves of the engines.

i doubt that they would release the results to the public untill a few years after the season

Date: June 12, 2003 08:06AM
Posted by: nidge12345
To get a HP reading they put the cars on a Dyno (thats the short name i dont know what the long name is something like dynomatronic or something wierd like that

Dynanometer...I think!

Date: June 12, 2003 09:20AM
Posted by: _Alex_
the new merc engine that is alleged to be the most powerful and sound really strange

I hope it sounds just like the 2000 car did!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy