Ferrari: We don't want Alonso

Posted by genesis 
Ferrari: We don't want Alonso
Date: April 18, 2005 10:49PM
Posted by: genesis
Ferrari has quashed speculation that they are tracking Fernando Alonso to replace Michael Schumacher, with team boss Jean Todt claiming that there are other drivers higher on his shopping list.

Whether it is a diversionary tactic, aimed at throwing both its rivals and the media off the scent, or not, Todt was insistent that the Scuderia was not chasing current points leader Alonso, even if Schumacher was poised to call time on his illustrious career.

"Michael is very canny," Todt to German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, "Once he knows when he will stop, but, if he is thinking that way, he won't be basing anything on this season, but on his Ferrari time as a whole. And that, on the whole, has been a successful time.

"But how should I know when he intends to stop? I assume that, when he does decide, he will simply say 'that's it' - perhaps because he realises that he cannot win any more, or because he suddenly realises there is more to life than F1. We have always said that, as long as he wants to be in F1, he can be at Ferrari, but he can also stop whenever he wants."

Asked again about Alonso's status - in the media at least - as Schumacher's natural replacement, Todt was insistent that the rumours were misplaced, despite the Spaniard currently leading the championship with 26 points to Schumi's two.

"I certainly don't have a 'stand-by-Schumacher' who could suddenly jump in," he said, "But who keeps saying that we want Alonso? Why would we want him particularly? There are other talented drivers out there - and Alonso is not even at the top of our list. I consider a young man who drives for an Anglo-German team to be a better choice...."

(Skysports)
Re: Ferrari: We don't want Alonso
Date: April 18, 2005 10:49PM
Posted by: genesis
Oh, and I think that he will be going there!
Date: April 18, 2005 10:54PM
Posted by: Covfan
ohh, get you Jean Todt!

He trying to sign Andy Priaux?
Date: April 18, 2005 10:58PM
Posted by: chet
lol.

hmmm i wonder whos above alonso then.... KR? ;)

JB, Fizzy?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 18, 2005 11:13PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
How did we ever guess you were going to say JB.

Date: April 18, 2005 11:14PM
Because you've seen it tatooed on his forehead?
Date: April 18, 2005 11:14PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Todt want's Raikkönen to drive for Ferrari after Michael retires it has been very clear many years already:)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:23PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
genesis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I consider a young man who drives
> for an Anglo-German team to be a better
> choice...."

that immeadiately limit their choices to webber , heidfeld , kimi and montoya.
how JB got into that i do not know...
Date: April 18, 2005 11:26PM
Or maybe, he means a different racing series altogether. Or maybe even sport. Owen Hargreaves plays for an anglo and german team.

There you go, by Covfan's powers of deduction, the newest Ferrari driver will be Owen Hargreaves. Autosport have nothing on me.
Date: April 18, 2005 11:41PM
Posted by: Red Sam
anglo german - so webber, heidfeld, montoya or raikkonen then?

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:43PM
it's Raikkonen trust me Todt and Brawn has always sayed that the best young driver in F1 is Raikkonen .
Date: April 18, 2005 11:47PM
Posted by: sasjag
he quite obviously means de la rosa :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 18, 2005 11:51PM
Posted by: chet
JB - coz u all knw hes class! :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 18, 2005 11:54PM
Posted by: smorr
nah, your all wrong. We all know i am the next schumi... or not.

oh, and the real driver will be differnt, i guarentee (S)He will be Italian.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: April 19, 2005 12:03AM
Posted by: Team CLR
";(S)He"
Now that's a brave and different prediction, but on the side of the Italian bit, Fizzy's been linked with Ferrari in the past, hence his Sauber drive last year, he'll probably be available at the end of this season.
Date: April 19, 2005 12:33AM
JT insisted: ''I consider a young man who drives for a German-English team to be the best choice.''

Kimi Raikkonen, maybe?

''Next question,'' Jean smiled.

Date: April 19, 2005 12:49AM
Posted by: Slash
Actually i'd say it's either Nick or Kimi..., Juan And Mark are too old to be consider young ones.........

PS: i'm glad how nick found himself a good seat., that's all he deserved for all these years.....

watch how he'll blow out mark at imo

Cheers
Date: April 19, 2005 01:09AM
Posted by: Muks_C
I don't know why there is even any speculation about who it could be. Todt already said in an interview last season that they prefer Kimi over Alonso.

and i don't think they "don't want" Alonso, its just they prefer someone else. i'm sure if Kimi is unavailable, and if Alonso is available, they would hold talks and possibly make an offer.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2005 02:22AM by Muks_C.
Date: April 19, 2005 01:19AM
Posted by: Red Sam
maybe get kimi and alonso, if Rubens goes when MS does.....

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: April 19, 2005 02:24AM
Posted by: Muks_C
I can't see Flavio letting go of Alonso though, and i think Ron tried to get Kimi signed up to a long term contract to avoid the competition from getting hold of him, but you never know what can happen.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy