The new McLaren MP4-18 off the pace at Paul Ricard

Posted by Montoya 
The new McLaren MP4-18 off the pace at Paul Ricard
Date: May 21, 2003 11:35AM
Posted by: Montoya
Ok, so it's the first time the MP4-18 has ever been on tarmac, never before has Wurz driven this car, but check this out...

Kimi Raikkonen 1m11.255 ( Mclaren MP4-17D )

Alex Wurz 1m16.121 ( McLaren MP4-18 )

Kimi Raikkonen was 4.896 seconds faster in the old car!

You shouldn't have done that.Wait for a horde of angry McLaren fans....

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
OMG, how many threads do we need?! Bruno, fancy renaming this the McLaren MP4/18 Forum? Not picking on you, Montoya, but it's getting kinda hard to keep track.

Seven out of the nine most recent posts are pretty much the same thing!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Ok,i'll say something new.They had a hydraulic problem.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Paul Ricard testing session, Wednesday 21 May

1. Kimi Raikkonen McLaren MP4/17D 1'11"255 (84 laps)
2. Juan Pablo Montoya Williams FW25 1'11"453 (91 laps)
3. David Coulthard McLaren MP4/17D 1'11"527 (91 laps)
4. Marc Gene Williams FW25 1'12"033 (107 laps)
5. Olivier Panis Toyota TF103 1'12"858 (68 laps)
6. Allan McNish Renault R23 1'13"062 (96 laps)
7. Alex Wurz McLaren MP4/18 1'16"118 (17 laps)

um... weren't they just giving the car a shakedown? To be more precise, they were doing system checks and stuff to make sure that, when they do try some fast laps, the car won't break.

I'd say we're gonna have to wait a bit longer for the true potential - not even the MP4/4 was fast right away!

After a few laps it was 4 secs off the current car thats not bad, and they were doing system checks.

Its not the best circiut to test anyway they should go to spain and test there.

If in a few days they are still off the current car then i will be worried.

Readinf autosport they recon it will race in canada if testing goes well.

Post Edited (05-21-03 19:20)

actually its was a senor that was bad not any of the systems on the car
Its the 1st run of the car that was made in england and shipped to france. Ferrari are lucky they can just go near enough from the factory to a track with out the need to build the car at the circuit.

And a new ferrari always breaks the lap record on its 1st run even going back to 1992 they claimed this. Mclaren done this test today with the public watching them infront of other teams.
That was not it's first run! There's no way in hell you can stick a spanking brand new car on a circuit and expect it to go fast! If Ferrari claimed it broke the record on the very first lap, without an installation run, they speaking ****! (pardon my language! ;))

Bejesus! An other McLaren thread!

Looks like we need a new forum for this.

Remember, today with the new car, McLaren was doing system checks and they are not aiming for times or fastest laps.

Read your sources before you post or even create an otehr McLaren thread!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
*sigh*

um... weren't they just giving the car a shakedown? To be more precise, they were doing system checks and stuff to make sure that, when they do try some fast laps, the car won't break.

Yes, is Newys own words "We will be running system checks"

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Oleg

"The only interruption to his running was when a hydraulic alarm went off, but the team discovered that it was the sensor, rather than the system, which had malfunctioned."

This would not have affected the car in a race as there was no problem, apart from a sensor.

"So far, I'm happy," he added. Today was all about system checks, to look at the consistency of the car. It has a seven-speed gearbox but I was only using six today and short shifting

Re: The new McLaren MP4-18 off the pace at Paul Ricard
Date: May 21, 2003 07:28PM
Posted by: jed
um they actually didn't even go top speed. they restricted revs because it was a shake down - NOT a test.

Also it wasn't a hydraulic problem, but a problem with the sensor that reports hydraulic problems.

Read the article for my source -> www.autosport.com
Thats were i got it from as well jed not sure where others got it from

montoya

why are you judginh this car from ITS FIRST EVER DRIVE!

get some sense mate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy