12-lap quali still the best

Posted by Atomik 
12-lap quali still the best
Date: January 17, 2005 01:57PM
Posted by: Atomik
Jean Todt would like to see F1 qualifying revert to the '12-lap'/one-hour format of pre-2003. "I think that's the best method," said Ferrari's leading Frenchman, pressed for his opinion on the 2005 Saturday/Sunday aggregate system at a media conference in Italy.

Todt said single-lap qualifying came in to 'try to penalise Ferrari.' It's also suggested that rival teams would like to further modify the 2005 format to remove another Ferrari advantage.

"I repeat," JT concluded, "that I prefer the old system."

For once, I must say, I agree with JT...

"You know I couldn't go more on the inside, I was actually on the grass so ... I don't know, either Michael had his eyes closed or somehow his hands slid on the steering or something..." - Jacques Villeneuve, Jerez 1997, Post-Race Press Conference
Re: 12-lap quali still the best
Date: January 17, 2005 02:06PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Todt said single-lap qualifying came in to 'try to penalise Ferrari.'

single lap qually came in to try and make F1 more exciting. Todt should pull his head out his arse for 30 seconds and realise F1 does not evolve around that silly little franchmen and his red cars.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 17, 2005 02:19PM
Posted by: anze89
single lap qually came in because of money. Now even minardis are on TV for one full lap and they thought that this will bring more sponsors

Date: January 17, 2005 02:22PM
Posted by: Forgotten-Boy
lol try to penalise. yeah Right ! you canĀ“t say in 2002 the ferraris did a pole in every circuit ...
Date: January 17, 2005 05:32PM
Posted by: marcl
minardi used to be on for a lap anyway as they always went out 1st.

I think as well they should go back to 12 laps it was so much better at the end of each session than the stupid 1 lap plus viewing figures show most people only switch on for the last 30 mins
Date: January 17, 2005 05:43PM
Posted by: Covfan
Jean Todt should really naff off with his "The whole world is against us" crap. The FIA have made decisions that some may view as being supportive toward Ferrari.
Date: January 17, 2005 06:03PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i agree, he's gone a bit too far saying it was put in place to penalise ferrari.

but as i've said in the other thread, theres no point giving a whole lap of tv time to the small teams if no-one watches the first 30 mins anyway.

a study of tv exposure showed that the small teams were in fact getting less exposure, due to that fact, than they were in the 'old' format.

in the 'old' format, we'd still watch the whole session, because we never knew exactly when our favourite drivers were going to go out, so we'd watch the minardis just in case the others came out too.

the whole excitement factor has gone from qualifying.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 17, 2005 06:13PM
Posted by: X_Acto
I think the old qualify system should be back.
Another think that should be back is the old Point-System... This new one give points to mediocrity.

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: January 17, 2005 06:23PM
I also agree with the points thing X_Acto, but we'll get flamed for not wanting the smaller teams to survive if the old points system was back.

all they had to do was simply give the smaller teams more money. you don't have to change the points system to do that.

Date: January 17, 2005 06:53PM
Posted by: chet
anze89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> single lap qually came in because of money. Now
> even minardis are on TV for one full lap and they
> thought that this will bring more sponsors
>
>
perfectly sed :)

but Todt does need to get his head out of his arse :) i hate him!! and the team!! apart from Rubens :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 17, 2005 07:03PM
it might be perfectly said that they are on tv for a full lap, but whats the difference if no-one is watching them?

Date: January 17, 2005 07:05PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
yay ferrari speak sense! apart from the penalise ferrari bit

Date: January 17, 2005 08:56PM
Posted by: Locke Cole
I don't mind the points going to 8 cars, who gives a damn if a Jaguar or Jordan occasionally picks up a point? It doesn't change the end result, but it DOES act as a team motivator, so they should stay.

The only gripe I have is that the gap between 1st and 2nd doesn't reward the win enough.

The new points were brought in to make the Championship more even, but in 2004 Ferrari scored more points than in 2002, and wrapped up the Championship at the same race.
Date: January 17, 2005 10:30PM
Posted by: Advong
12 lap quali was the better session, sure the start wasn't all that entertaing, especially in certain weather conditions but it was much better than single lap, where if a guy makes a mistake on a hot lap you have to wait for him to finish before something more interesting can happen

The lower teams do get on tv aswell, but I can't imagine the sponsors would be too happy with Brundle having a real go at the Minardi driver's driving style, which he did a couple of times in 2004.

Points need to go back to how they were, or a bigger gap from 1st to 2nd, I've seen too many people settle for second place in the last two years for my liking
Date: January 17, 2005 10:53PM
Posted by: theo
12 lap quali was the best, you saw your favorite drivers more than once each session. However if they plan to stick with this stupid 1 set of tyres per weekend rule they couldnt really go back as everyone would do the minimal set of laps to conserve race tire grip.

Bring F1 back to what it was - its best incarnation in my opinion - 12 laps, unlimited engines, and unlimited tyres. No holding back with silly regulations that makes the sport turn far more to strategy than "racing".
Date: January 17, 2005 11:18PM
Posted by: Advong
exactly, back to when it was supposed to be the pinaccle of motorsport, rather than the pinaccle of regualtion changes
Date: January 17, 2005 11:31PM
Posted by: chet
exactly!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 18, 2005 12:13AM
Posted by: Locke Cole
@ theo "Bring F1 back to what it was... unlimited tyres"

That's the only bit I disagree with. If teams don't have to make stops for tyres, we might just see a little more actual RACING (France 2004 springs to mind, when Ferrari opted for 4 stops to avoid the risk of racing with Alonso and Renault).
Date: January 18, 2005 12:14AM
Posted by: Zcott
Another thing that helps racing is topsy-turvy grids, something that 12 lap didn't always give us......

Date: January 18, 2005 12:56AM
12-laps didn't give us topsy-turvy grids, but most of the time 1-lap-qually doesn't either.

they should ban tyre-stops or fuel-stops, which would encourage more on-track action, and bring back 12-lap qually.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy