I thought Montoya was changing his helmet

Posted by montana_uk 
I thought Montoya was changing his helmet
Date: November 24, 2004 01:56PM
Posted by: montana_uk
I read recently in the current UK edition of "F1 Racing magazine" that Montoya will have a new helmet design for next year, to turn the heat up on Kimi.

"As if beating Kimi Raikkonen to the win in Brazil wasn't sweet enough for Juan-Pablo Montoya. the Columbian has upped the mind-game stakes by creating a new helmet design for next year. In a bid to upset Kimi's "Iceman" reputation, the lid will feature a large chunk of ice being melted by a blowtorch. Subtle, he ain't..."

I don't know if this is true at all, but you have to wonder, with JPM's sense of humour. Could be cool to see it though...

By the looks of things, it was either a joke, he's changed his mind, or he is saving it until later.

Laters,

Montana_UK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2004 02:00PM by montana_uk.
Re: I thought Montoya was changing his helmet
Date: November 24, 2004 02:03PM
Posted by: Atomik
My guess is that, IF he's going to do it, it won't be until the final tests in 2005 or maybe even in Melbourne...

"You know I couldn't go more on the inside, I was actually on the grass so ... I don't know, either Michael had his eyes closed or somehow his hands slid on the steering or something..." - Jacques Villeneuve, Jerez 1997, Post-Race Press Conference
Date: November 24, 2004 03:18PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Either that or he's painted it INSIDE the helmet!

Date: November 24, 2004 04:03PM
Posted by: marcl
At least he fitted in the car lol must have gone on diet since the last gp
Date: November 24, 2004 04:53PM
Posted by: Muks_C
he'll probably keep the same general design, but have this ice block thing at the back, maybe in place of that 'electrocuted man' thing he has.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 24, 2004 05:00PM
Posted by: andrew_S
I read recently in the current UK edition of "F1 Racing magazine" that Montoya will have a new helmet design for next year, to turn the heat up on Kimi.

kinda sums up the shite you get in this magazine over the last few years.... "the sun" is what comes to mind

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: November 24, 2004 05:04PM
Posted by: Vader
Do you really think Kimi cares about what someone else has painted on his helmet? In fact, does anyone care?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 24, 2004 05:36PM
@ Andrew S - Well I don't buy Autosport as it covers other sports I don't follow, and it costs so much. So what is left to buy here in the UK??? If I like to read that, what difference does it make to you? As for the Sun - Please!!! I would never read that S**te, as I can read & say words with more than 3 syllables.

@ Vader - No I don't care particularly. It would just be funny to see. But yes, he probably will just have it at the back, as Muks_C reckons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2004 05:38PM by montana_uk.
Date: November 24, 2004 05:49PM
Posted by: sega
Regarding JPM's design at Brazil:

The "Formula Sonrisas Foundation" led by Connie and JPM, organise a helmet design constest for children. They receive thousands of drawings from colombian kids, JPM selects the wining design and wear it at the Brazilian GP each year. They take the winner (it was a girl this year, a boy last year) to the GP and give him VIP passes an special treatment all weekend. The helmet is intended to be sell later in an auction. Next year in Brazil he'll be wearing a different helmet again.

As you can see, it has NOTHING TO DO with Raikkonnen. That's pure journalist BS.

Saludos desde Colombia.
Date: November 24, 2004 05:55PM
@ Sega - I know that he runs that competition each year, and I approve of that. I was just quoting what I had read, and thought it was quite funny.

It makes no difference to me if he races with the one he normally uses or not, as I will support him all the way, and Kimi too.

I know that Kimi doesn't respond to mind games, and he probably won't care what happens. He will just do his talking on the track. JPM will do the same. It's all down to bragging rights though, and who gets more "love" from Ron Dennis.

Later,

Montana_UK
Date: November 24, 2004 05:56PM
Posted by: dolinseks
Probably he will have new helmet, that is his old helmet, without any sponsors, mark webber has the same helmet, as he had at jaguar. also, helmet will be changed, to fit mclarens sponsors, so its possible, that he will have that ice cube or whatever.

Date: November 24, 2004 08:34PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
that one he had at brazil was very "mclareny", plus maybe its lucky :)

Date: November 24, 2004 09:03PM
Posted by: Covfan
Um, it says next year, so maybe, just maybe, you'll see it in 2005, maybe.
Date: November 24, 2004 09:06PM
Posted by: senninho
Looking at some other photos of him testing, it looks as though it's just his Williams lid with the sponsors covered up - bearing in mind, the season didn't end that long ago - he may have just not got his McLaren-branded one yet.

Date: November 24, 2004 10:00PM
Posted by: calimbo
oh, c'mon. I can't believe what the press and you guys are saying...Kimi Raikkonen is the second JPM's best friend after Rubinho. They use to play around with people on the pitlane, both of them. I've seen them by TV f1 shows.

Date: November 24, 2004 10:38PM
Posted by: vesuvius
calimbo you are right , Kimi even sayed to finnish newspaper that he is sure he will come along better with JPM than he came with DC.
Date: November 24, 2004 10:48PM
Posted by: senninho
Yeah, they do appear to get on pretty well, at least better than JPM and Ralf! I should think that if the story is true, Kimi is more likely to find it amusing than threatening.

Date: November 25, 2004 10:35AM
I hope they do get on well, as it can only be better for a team. They will still be competitive, but can at least be friendly off the track.

And yes, Kimi probably will shrug off the rumour (or truth) about this blowtorched icecube. Things like that are small and trivial. But funny all the same.

I think the weirdest thing to have had on a helmet was Zanardi's Pineapple. Did anyone else see that, and maybe know why it is there?

Laters,

Montana_UK
Date: November 25, 2004 07:01PM
Posted by: Muks_C
any pics of the pineapple?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 26, 2004 09:36AM
I had looked, but I couldn't find any so far. If I find any, I'll post them.

Found one on the below site, but it's not clear, but it shows it was there...U can see the spikey bit just underneath the "Winfield Kangaroo" logo.

And this explains why he had it [f1rejects.com]
"1997 was also the year when he became the 'donut king'. After victory at Long Beach, he proceeded to do doughnuts on the track, which would become his victory trademark. Furthermore, it was the year when he adopted the pineapple as his personal symbol, since, he claimed, it represented stubborn people, of which he was one. For all this, it was not surprising that he picked up the 'Colourful Character Award' at the California 500. "

Laters,
Montana_UK

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2004 09:52AM by montana_uk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy