ITV - Oz Qualifying not live??????

Posted by Ellis 
Re: ITV - Oz Qualifying not live??????
Date: February 13, 2003 05:22PM
Posted by: Zcott
Do you really think that if F1 went back to the BBC that they would televise like it they used to? I doubt it, somehow! Given the in-depth coverage that ITV have shown since '97, the BBC would have to do something seriously good to take that from ITV and expect to keep a lot of viewers.

Having said that, I do think the BBC would be up to it. I reckon if F1 went back to the BBC tomorrow, it'd be just as good as ITV - but better, without the ad breaks and full coverage of the press conferences, etc. And with BBC having two terrestrial channels, it means that the F1 won't immediately cut to a soap as soon as the flag falls.

I never really liked the ad breaks....I always flick over to RTL during the breaks, but it still disrupts the flow of the race, you know?

Date: February 13, 2003 05:23PM
Posted by: andrew_S
i remember it on BBC well it wasnt as comprehensive as itv, but what they did as with everything BBC, they did well, and with a quality, that ITV just dont possess, ryder is awsome, a true F1 fan as well, i mean you comepare that piss poor ITV intro with the classic BBC Grand Prix music, and there fantastic montages, each season which made up the intros, it was quality, it lacked quantity, ITV had added more of that in terms of coverage, and man power, but the BBC is quality, ITV has done a great job, better than BBC no doubt, but its just doesnt possess that quality of programming, i love the BBCs coverage at the time, and id like to see it go back, and thats coming from someone who remembers the bbc stuff loud and clear.....

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: February 13, 2003 05:34PM
Posted by: LS.
Do you really think that if F1 went back to the BBC that they would televise like it they used to? I doubt it, somehow! Given the in-depth coverage that ITV have shown since '97, the BBC would have to do something seriously good to take that from ITV and expect to keep a lot of viewers.

well to be honest no i don't

name me one sport that the BBC have showcased?

how many?

none, thats how many

you say that the bbc would do a better job if they took the rights off ITV, but whats to say going by that way of thinking that ch4 or ch5 could'nt do a better job than ITV after seeing what they've done with the format?

personally i think that sky would be the only people to do a better job

look at how they have made football a massive success since they took it off the BBC

you say if F1 went back to the BBC then it would be different, well part of the fact that F1 went to ITV was that itv made a presentation to bernie ecclestone and showed them what they were going to do with F1 and that clinched it, not the money offered on the table

the BBc had a bottomless pit with the license fee to secure the rights to F1 but because they sat on there laurels it went to a better company because of it.

BBC has lost all the major sporting events because it thought that because it was a national institiution that it had the god given right to show the top sports

its the same thing with F1

just because ITV have taken the sport even further with their coverage what makes you think that BBc will make it better?

look at the junior catagorys that itv show, f3000, formula ford races etc

we never saw that on BBC did we?

oh we may have once, if i remember correctly satan skated to work that morning and the moon was blue that night

i also remember BBC1 qualifying, it used to get the grid results about 10 mins after the qualifying had finished on a saturday with a crappy graphic of the grid, the only time we got live qualifying was when the BBC hosted the british gp

what short memorys you people have

Post Edited (02-14-03 00:49)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 13, 2003 06:16PM
Posted by: Casper
Well you guy are complaining about your TV coverage about not seeing things live. Here in Australia the rights have been with channel 9 since F1 started on air. Since the early nineties they really haven't cared about their viewers. Around 14 of the races last year were delayed by at least an hour, we only got one qualifying session which was melbourne and no practice wrap ups. All of the non asia-pacific races if shown were on after the Sunday movie and news so anywhere between 10.30pm and 3am. Often the American and western european races were shown the following night at around the same time, and you usually find out who won on the radio or in the newspaper before any TV footage. And we have around 7-10 minutes adevertising per hour and at those hours of the night only the worst ads are shown, like 1900 phone lines etc. And almost worst of all the hosts are Darrell Eastlake and, an ex-F1 driver who is usually short of worthy words, Alan Jones.

Though on the other hand we have another free to air station ch10 which shows every other category of motorsport live or very slightly delayed and will even fill the entire Sunday (10.30-5) up with V8's, Cart, MotoGP, WSBK, WRC, and all the main Aussie categories.

But every thing is changing for the better. In mid November Ten aquired the F1 rights and now we're hoping for better coverage and now we get ex-motorcycle world champ Barry Sheene feverently commenting on all the main points before and after the race ("That was a major sausage.", "That's Falcon Unbelievable";).

Still it is harder to be a F1 and world motorsport fan in Australia than that of most other sport due to needing compassionate Lecturers and Bosses allowing you leeway for being that bit late and slow on Monday mornings.
We love it all the same.
Date: February 13, 2003 06:19PM
yeah it must be hard for you guys down under

if the the F1 races were showed live ( ala 1 pm european time) what time would that equate to in austrailia?

and i thought i had it bad having to get up early for austrailia, sepang and suzuka

LS's Tip of the week
Date: February 13, 2003 06:22PM
Posted by: marcl
Last year I watched every race on Sky digital and it was so great to see all the session and no adverts.

I just hope Sky can show F1 and ITV loose the contract, still can not forgive them for the stuff they have missed over the years.

F1 needs better TV figures I personaly do not think ITV will help with an advert every 10 mins like they used to do, what is gonna happen in the 1 lap quali they are gonna miss runs and stuff
Date: February 13, 2003 07:12PM
Posted by: Casper
If the GP goes live at 1pm UK time then it's 11.30pm in Adelaide. Though it makes the whole thing more important. So you get your friends to stay over for the really late ones like 2am etc. You have GP3 games leading up to it to stay awake! Then you know the track exactly and pick Brundle and Co apart if they get the wrong corner or driver.

Post Edited (02-14-03 03:58)

[akiro3.com]
------------
'That was a major, major sausage.' - Barry Sheene
Date: February 13, 2003 11:37PM
Posted by: Boils
Last year i missed 1 race... it was delayed by GOLF!! yes GOLF....it started at i think... 10 mins to 5am i woke up at 5 or something and had missed the start and was feeling so tired i couldnt not watch it... MS won that race and the championship with it....

sometimes hear things on RPM about F1 useuallly old news ive already heard on the internet... no interviews, little wrap up of qualifying that goes for probly 2 mins b4 each race... Brazil Canada and USA get shown live and sometimes Japan.. doesnt bother me staying up for those because they are live...

I dont know what u have against Alan Jones he is like JPM and JV, they speak thier mind without kissing ass...

I hope 10 do a better job, but i can see races clashing with other races, such as moto gp, SBK and cart, sometimes get shown at the same time as F1 hope F1 gets put as higher priority or atleast shown at a acceptible time later in the week, I dont however think they will be any better then 9, probly wont delay important F1 races because of golf....

Best coverage is at the australian GP, the whole weekend of motor sports is great, i cant wait!!

Date: February 13, 2003 11:39PM
Posted by: Boils
I would give my left testicle to have the same coverage that ITV gives u guys, try not to complain about your coverage too much infront of us Aussies or ppl of other nationalities that have it just as bad or worse...

Date: February 13, 2003 11:45PM
Posted by: Dizzoau
I live in Australia but I would not give my left testicle for better coverage!
Date: February 14, 2003 02:33AM
Posted by: Keithb
GOLF? Blimey-Televised sky.
Date: February 14, 2003 02:36AM
"I just hope Sky can show F1 and ITV loose the contract"
Trouble is,not all of us can afford Sky.

Date: February 14, 2003 02:40AM
"the classic BBC Grand Prix music"
"The Chain",by Fleetwood Mac,just in case anybody didn't know! ;-)

Date: February 14, 2003 03:21AM
Posted by: Pooky
i think we are lucky with itv coverage. but there are a few things that could be improved.

namely the return of murray!!!!!!!!!!!1

yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if he gets things wrong- i dont care!! we know what he means anyway.

i wish he came back. a legend.

Date: February 14, 2003 04:33AM
look at how they have made football a massive success since they took it off the BBC

erm? like it wasnt a success before? lol ITV have done nothing for football....

on the junior catogorys, bbc did show a lot in the 80s and early 90s, the stuff ITV show is 3 weeks out of date...... just shows you, and its only of 1 race meating, the 2 support races for the GP..... its piss poor

Date: February 14, 2003 07:20AM
Posted by: chrislewis
As an aussie speaking about tv coverage I dont think we have any at the moment.On grandprix.com I heard there were problems about getting tv coverage.I know that channel 10 has signed the rights for it but on there website there is no mention at all about formula 1.
This would make any F1 fan pissed off.Channel 9 had a bit of coverage on the Melbourne grand prix, but as the year progressed it only got worse.
So if channel 10's website goes by anything then tv coverage will be worse than channel 9 ever was.
Date: February 14, 2003 07:22AM
Posted by: rayg
Does anyone know how the Tv format is going to be? like are they going to show any of the friday qualifying???
Date: February 14, 2003 09:32AM

erm? like it wasnt a success before? lol ITV have done nothing for football....

well frankly no, sky have transformed the game with their coverage and money that they have put back into the sport

the english game has benefitted massively from that money, its enabled countless clubs to invest money into youth academys which nuture home grown talent, which will inevitably benefit the national side.

the english way of football has also benefitted with the foreign imports who bring with them certain styles of play, people like zola, theirry henry, robert pires, veira etc have all influenced the younger players.

put it this way, if ecclestone had a choice out of bbc itv & sky and money was'nt an issue, and it was all down to actual presentation and content i think that sky would undoubtably get it, and that the bbc would be bottom of the list, they had there chance for years and did nothing with it

LS's Tip of the week
Date: February 14, 2003 09:58AM
oh yeah, sky is way better.... and not f1 digital here, cause sky dont have anything to do with that, although it was on sky, seperate to sky sports

but still that nullifys your coment of look what ITV have done to football since they took it off the bbc etc

Date: February 14, 2003 10:51AM
Posted by: Covfan
Um, not even the FIA knew what time the Quals were going to be at. Now they do I expect ITV to surprise us and say quals will be live.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy