Problems Still Loom Over Jag - Ford Not Ready To Make '05 Commitment

Posted by MrMan 
F1 team Jaguar is not about to be ditched by owners Ford.

At a recent principals' meeting, Bernie Ecclestone turned to Tony Purnell and asked him point-blank -- 'can you guarantee you'll still be here in 2005?'

The Jaguar boss replied: ''No, I can't.''

Since then, stories of carmaker Ford selling the grand prix outfit - perhaps to energy drink 'Red Bull' boss Dieter Mateschitz - have dominated the paddock.

But Purnell thinks the 'Cat still has eight or nine lives.

''I think you'll find we're ok,'' he said.

It emerged at the Hungaroring, though, that Jaguar had halted work on the '05 challenger and it wasn't just because next year's technical rules are unclear.

Speculation said Ford has not yet green-lighted the project.

But Tony Purnell insists reports of Jaguar's demise are nothing short of ''mischief making. Too much was made of that (Nurburgring) meeting,'' he added.

What are Ford upto? I'm fed up of them poncing about, they've never really been commited to F1. They've got one of the most famous names in the world, easily up there with Ferrari, and they aren't willing to commit. It'd be a shame if Jag were sold to Red Bull, 'cos you'd be losing something great. I just hope the rumours are false, and that Ford will, in the end, see the light of day and pump more money in.

Ciaran
Ford have always done that sort of thing though. They'll be in for a while, then they'll be out for a while, then they'll be in again. It's just the way they work.
Very interesting, the one thing i hate to see here is ford bashing, i may be a ford fan but if you look at what ford has done in motorsport then you cant be that harsh on them, they have won so many things from le mans to f1 to rally, and i think they need some stability, it wont be too hard for them to increase its Jag budget, ford had an okay year this year in global sales, especially in europe and australia, so i think they will keep it going.

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Yeah the bashing Ford get from other people, and me, isn't deserved. But they've got the third smallest budget, after Minardi and Jordan. Both independent teams, Sauber have got more money than Jag. Just you don't really expect to see a manufacturer backed team competing with the likes of Jordan, no offence to Jordan just Jag should be doing better.

Ciaran
I can't be arsed with them. If your in F1 you need to be committed 100% or just bugger off, there's no halfway house, which is what Ford seem to be trying to occupy. Sooner they sort themselves out one way or the other, the better.

"No it's not a skirt"
Sorry, ford Bashing is accpetable. They are a multi billion dollar company with a world wide market and yet they give Jaguar the 3rd smallest budget and show thry are only here whilst the going is good and when it gets too hard they are gona wander off

Good ridence

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
im just embaressed that they are tarnishing the great sporting reputation jaguar cars has to be quite honnest

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
AMuS reports that if Jaguar won't be able to find a substitute for HSBC Ford will step in themselves.

It also says that talks with Red Bull have broken down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2004 08:30PM by Oleg.
I have to agree with Ellis and Haggis here (if you'll excuse the rhyming) Really, you cannot compete in F1 today if you are not 100% committed. Ford have the resources to be one of the top F1 engine manufacturers, yet Jag and Jordan are struggling at the back
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy