"The Daily Button" newsflash

Posted by Vader 
Re: "The Daily Button" newsflash
Date: August 12, 2004 10:58PM
Posted by: The Lopper
To take this onto a new page, its more than 3 weeks old. Any comment in f1 over three weeks old is null and void.
Date: August 12, 2004 11:53PM
Posted by: Red Sam
That article is true when it was written, however, Buttons management went to FW and told him that he was available, which changes the understanding of the ppl concerned

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 13, 2004 11:32PM
Posted by: bestobritish
2day the jag boss Purnell has said this Button saga is bad 4 F1. i disagree io think its good publicity cos loads of my m8s who h8 F1 (i dunno how either) have been asking about whats happening with button n williams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 13, 2004 11:34PM
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Unless you are Kurt Cobain or someone in which case all publicity is bad publicity.
Date: August 13, 2004 11:37PM
Posted by: Vader
Even for Nirvana bad publicity increased record sales.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 13, 2004 11:40PM
Yeah, but it pretty much killed Cobain. Or maybe that was just the drugs. Or maybe it was Courtney Love. Or maybe it was Rock n Roll hating Aliens. Either way, you get my point.
Date: August 14, 2004 01:03AM
Posted by: Guimengo
He hated publicity :P
Date: August 14, 2004 01:16AM
Then why he signed a record contract?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 14, 2004 02:43AM
Posted by: calimbo
Oh, My God, let's talk about the Olympics opening ceremony. I hated Coubain

Date: August 14, 2004 06:22AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Good question Vader, but he did hate all the fame. Go figure... lead perhaps the #1 band of his time (popularity), and complain about fame
Date: August 14, 2004 01:53PM
Eddie Jordan just said something very interesting on RTL. They asked him why he did spoil Heidfeld's chance to test for Williams or even replace Ralf, so he could have probably got a cockpit there in 2005. Eddie said he would have let Nick go if Williams had garantueed to give him a cockpit in 2005. However, Williams would not give any garantuees. Eddie Jordan said he did not spoil Nick's chance since there had never been a real chance at all. The contracts for Webber and Button had already been clinched weeks ago.

Something fishy is going on there. Provided Eddie Jordan is right (and why should he lie?) and the Button/Williams deal had already been made weeks ago and if Eddie knew about it - wouldn't it be only logical if BAR/Richards had also known about it? Or has it all been a long-time prepared conspiracy between Button/Williams ("you always hear it last";)?

As it looks either

a) Eddie has been talking bollocks
b) Button's management did sign a contract with Williams long before the BAR option expired - i.e. they deliberately cheated on BAR and never intended to accept the BAR option in the first place.
c) BAR did know about it a long time ago and now just acts outraged to get some financial compensation for the loss of Button.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2004 03:57PM by Vader.
Date: August 14, 2004 03:13PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Eddie said that on ITV. Hes getting unfair bashing from people because he wudnt give Nick away for less than hes worth. He wanted the cash that wud pay off Nick. If Williams got it there way, Jordan wud have been out of pocket

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 14, 2004 03:36PM
Posted by: Red Sam
c) BAR did know about it a long time ago and now just acts outraged to get some financial compensation for the loss of Buton.

This is right in my opinion, as Frank Williams said he only made the news public because Dave Richards was going to have a piece in The Times newspaper the next day about it. I think Richards knew what was going on.

Apparently also Button never ever said more than 10 words or so a month to Richards. He is very hands off apparently, even though he seems the opposite. They dont get on and thats why Button wants to leave. Read that on the Guardian website somewhere...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 14, 2004 04:54PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
lol! Wouldn't be the first time.....

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 14, 2004 08:18PM
Posted by: Oleg
How long is exactly "weeks ago"?

And how the hell can Eddie Jordan know that Button was the signed driver?

[Williams may tell that the seat is taken but why should they name the driver]

Date: August 14, 2004 08:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Apparently also Button never ever said more than 10 words or so a month to Richards. He is very hands off apparently, even though he seems the opposite. They dont get on and thats why Button wants to leave. Read that on the Guardian website somewhere...

Richards!? In a cold mood with his drivers!? NEVER!

:P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 14, 2004 08:41PM
Wonder why JV wants to get his seat back?

Date: August 14, 2004 08:42PM
If Eddie didn't let Heidfeld test for Williams because he knew the Willimas seat for 2005 was already been taken, a "few weeks" means it must have been before Heidfeld wanted to test for Williams.

I have no idea how Eddie Jordan could have known any names - maybe there were rumours somewhere. Even in F1 confidential info does not always stay secret. :p

If you go to the bottom of page 2 in this thread you will find a post by calimbo:

How Badly Does Williams Want Button? March 3 06:10
F1 team BMW-Williams has to decide how much it wants Jenson Button.

Who knows? Maybe it was already all clinched back then - in this case anyone could have guessed what would happen.

JV probably wants the seat back because he is a natural born racer and this might be his only chamnce to return.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2004 08:44PM by Vader.
Date: August 14, 2004 08:59PM
There's a summer testing ban[after the British GP i think] so it would be hard to evaluate possible 2005 drivers.

Does it mean that the decision was taken before the British GP?

An article at The Observer online prior to the GP had quotes by Button where he expressed his wish to extend with BAR.Now i am not familliar with contracts but shouldn't there be a deadline on when the option should be taken?

One of the [escape]clauses reported in Button's contract was the commitment of Honda to the team.The contract with Honda was signed at the German GP.

IMO it is doubtful that Richards[and Honda] would delay the signing of the contract which would give Button a chance to leave[if he left due to Honda].

I think it would indicate that Button was negotiating but nothing was signed "weeks ago".
Date: August 14, 2004 09:44PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
well put it like this. i trust fw more than any other person on the grid. if fw says it then i believe it.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy