Qualifying

Posted by FRESCO 
Qualifying
Date: August 07, 2004 08:37PM
Posted by: FRESCO
Has ne 1 seen Tony Purnell's idea for new qualifying in the latest issue of F1 Racing? its absolutely brilliant, and they are allowing ppl to send emails and faxes to the fia to back-up the idea which i have already done.

basically it goes like this -

Friday Morning:

A ballot is held to decide grid positions for a friday afternoon sprint race.

Friday Afternoon:

A 10 lap sprint race is held, the ballot will have thrown up oddities so that drivers are out of position so overtaking is guaranteed.

Saturday Afternoon:

Another sprint race, this time grid positions from the 1st race reversed as to make it fair.

Sunday:

The Grand Prix starting order is determined by the average finishing position of each driver in question in each of the sprint races. if two drivers are tied then it is decided by the average of their fastest laps in both the sprint races. this means that if there is a run away leader in one of them they will have to keep pushing.

Re: Qualifying
Date: August 07, 2004 08:38PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Qualifying races?

Something I hadnt considered.....hmmm

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 07, 2004 08:42PM
Posted by: Guimengo
doesn't F3000 have something like that? No? Sorry :P
Date: August 07, 2004 08:43PM
Posted by: Vader
Can't say why, but I don't really like it. :s I want drivers do fast laps (as currently in the first qualy). Sprint races are too much Touring Car-style. :s

I also don't think there will be much overtaking in a 10 lap sprint race. The risk of damaging your car is too high. In Touring Car they can risk more since cars are not as fragile and damages are way cheaper.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 07, 2004 08:49PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
must admit, if the drivers really went for it, it would be great fun, problem is, there wouldnt be enough incentive to overtake, especially with aggregated times, most drivers would rather wait and hope the car in front makes a mistake and accept a slightly lower grid position than risk overtaking, going off and ending up on the back of the grid

edit: now that i think about it....what vader said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2004 08:50PM by Race_Monkey.
Date: August 07, 2004 08:53PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
they cant bloody overtake when its a 70 lap race. what makes you think they are gonna overtake over 10 laps?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: August 07, 2004 09:05PM
Posted by: FRESCO
maybe so, but it would be one hell of a lot better than what we've got now i can assure you.

Date: August 07, 2004 09:06PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
My F1 Racing dropped through the letterbox yesterday and when I read about this I didn't like it at all. Not quite sure why either, just isn't F1.

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: August 07, 2004 09:11PM
Posted by: Vader
I actually don't really mind qualyfying as it is now.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 07, 2004 09:12PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Send it back to the way it was last year!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 07, 2004 09:16PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Still want a free for all session back ;(

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: August 07, 2004 09:23PM
How about 1-lap quali for top 4 teams, and 12 laps for the other 6? :)
Date: August 07, 2004 09:25PM
Posted by: LS.
IF they standardised the wings, tyres and increased mechanical grip we would'nt need to mess around with things like qualifying

it could and should go back to the early 90's shoot outs for the fastest laps, F1 should'nt have to stoop so low as to adopt touring car ideas

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 07, 2004 09:46PM
Posted by: Pooky
i want 1 hour free session

12 laps each

with the exception that every driver must complete 3 laps in every quarter (15 minutes)

thus no one will be sitting in garage for half hour etc. like they used to.

i want bulls out senna style laps, like those 7 in a row we saw from JPM in 2001 i think

awesome
Date: August 07, 2004 09:55PM
Posted by: LS.
Balls mate ;)

BALLS OUT SENNA STYLE!!!!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 07, 2004 10:03PM
Posted by: Team CLR

-------------------------------------------------------
Send it back to the way it was last year!
--------------------------------------------------------

I agree

Date: August 08, 2004 01:48AM
Posted by: senna4ever
Still cant see what is so wrong with the current qually ??

As a viewer you get to see each car doing a lap. You get a few on board views and if the car and driver is on a pole lap ... you get to SEE it !!! ??
Smaller teams at the tail end of the field get exposure and that means a better chance to get sponsorship, surely that must count for something?

What excitement is required? Why look at a wheel-2-wheel tussle, it is qualifying not the race, that happens the next day!

Plus, with the new engine-last-longer-then-one-race-weekend RULE, how do you think the teams are going to use a FREE 1 hour session? Afterall, running as few laps as possible to save the engine for the race is now more important then ever.

I can remember watching GP coverage some years back where I didnt get to see (or catch a climps) of a particular car/driver throughout the whole TV coverage. Sure it was backmarkers so out-of-sight-out-of-mind but equally so part of huge sponsor investment is to get some sort of coverage and out-of-sight isnt exactly what these sponsors want to see ... (or is it NOT see?? ) :)

I find it laughable to try and suggest QUALLY forcing overtaking LOL ..... jeezzz guys, what better insentive can there be to overtake in the race and win !!! ??

hehehe ... I LUV F1 :)

Date: August 08, 2004 02:17AM
Maybe you love 80s F1 :P
Date: August 08, 2004 10:38AM
Posted by: senna4ever
Maybe I DO !!! LOL :)

At least back then we had men driving F1 cars not boys .......
Date: August 08, 2004 11:10AM
hehe, they had drivers with moustache ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy