Button to Williams....

Posted by CMJH69 
Button to Williams....
Date: August 05, 2004 10:56PM
Posted by: CMJH69
Just heard Frank Williams saying they have signed button for 2005 and 2006 on Five Live.
Re: Button to Williams....
Date: August 05, 2004 11:01PM
Posted by: The Lopper
There goes Williams for the next two years. Webber and Button? Nah!. They would seem to have signed the two big contenders, but i reckon they're both overrated.

Now, i'm going to run away quickly before i get hit by the deluge of angry Button-ites. Apparently The Hole is on telly. Think Keira Knightly flashes in it :)
Date: August 05, 2004 11:04PM
Posted by: MarcLister
I have to be honest I thought you were pulling my leg. So to disprove your comments I went to the BBC News Sports site to see the article that Button had re-signed for BAR only to be greeted with a newsflash that Button is leaving BAR for...Williams.

Amazing, Webber and Button will make a good pairing, both wanting a 1st GP win, and both wanting to beat each other to that 1st win.

Can't believe it, I thought Button would stay at BAR and grow with them, but Williams obviuously offered him something that BAR can't/won't! Money, maybe? But then Williams are a more experienced outfit that BAR having been around longer and having won races/championships!

Wonder what made Button leave? Something that went wrong for him at BAR? Or did Williams ask him to come home?
Date: August 05, 2004 11:07PM
Posted by: MViper
Where did u read that? Link please?

"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Date: August 05, 2004 11:09PM
[news.bbc.co.uk] - scrolling text at top of page.
Date: August 05, 2004 11:10PM
Posted by: intweb
Wow,
Cooo and a half - should make a good pairing, but why leave BAR - they are on the UP?
Date: August 05, 2004 11:14PM
@intweb - That is what I am thinking. I can only think of the recent lull in BAR's fortunes, where McLaren have come back and this made Button look to a championship winning team who know how to win and how to fix a problem and since BAR are a young team, they don't know that yet!

I hope Davidson gets Button's seat at BAR. With BAR likely to be one of the top 4 teams, they can't run a third car and Davidson was driving himself out of a job. It would be nice to see if a 2nd Englishman can beat Sato (in terms of points at the end of the year!). If Davidson gets the seat and does beat Sato, Sato might then be an also ran.

*Edit* I feel really sorry for the GP4 helmet painters. They are going to have so many requests for all the announced/rumoured but confident driver signings helmets to be re-painted, eg. Button in a Williams, Ralf in a Toyota and people will want them before the 2005 season starts. Comes with the territory I 'spose. *Edit*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2004 11:19PM by MarcLister.
Date: August 05, 2004 11:17PM
Posted by: calimbo
I don't believe that... They don't the exact source, so it makes it like rubbish.

Date: August 05, 2004 11:24PM
Posted by: sasjag
u dont beleive the bbc? i certainly do, ironicly there quicker and far more accurate with news than ITV f1 are

[news.bbc.co.uk]

my two fave drivers in teh same team next season, good for me :D hsud be intersting to see who will fill the BAR seat, davidson maybe?

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2004 11:31PM by sasjag.
Date: August 05, 2004 11:33PM
Posted by: Rubidius
It's weird that they don't quote their sources, but the BBC wouldn't put that up if they didn't have some very solid evidence.

Do you reckon there's been some kind of deal between Williams and BAR? Williams delayed in signing a second driver, to the point where there weren't any decent drivers left on the market. Flav wouldn't let them sign Fisichella, they think Coulthard is past it, JV and MH were very unlikely outside bets anyway ... maybe Frank Williams rang up David Richards and said "Please help us - we don't want to have to put Pizza Man in the car next year ... we'll pay you loads for Jenson ..." That would make sense for David Richards, because he can always put Anthony Davidson in the car instead - he should be very good in a BAR.

--Rubi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2004 11:33PM by Rubidius.
Date: August 05, 2004 11:33PM
Posted by: calimbo
Well, I beleive in F1total then, for example, and they said Williams were going to change the FW26 nose for Hungary, and actually they're going to. And the thing is that BBC didn't say that.

Date: August 05, 2004 11:36PM
Posted by: Rubidius
I just found this on Reuters - they say they are getting their information directly from the Williams team. If Reuters and BBC both say it, I'm convinced.

[www.reuters.co.uk]

--Rubi
Date: August 05, 2004 11:40PM
Posted by: mp4-dave
I just heard FW say it himself on BBC five live, so it must be true. Sounded like there was something strange in his BAR contract.
FW said, "his agent phoned me up and offered me his services, I reacted as you would expect."
Date: August 05, 2004 11:44PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Pookys gonna flip :P

Date: August 05, 2004 11:48PM
Posted by: Vader
That would really make the way free for Mika at BAR. :o

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 05, 2004 11:49PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Yup thats exactly what i was thinking Vader.

Date: August 05, 2004 11:49PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
*bashes himself on the head to recover from shock*

who? what? when? where? why? how?

Needless to say this is most unexpected, but seeing as two generally reliable places and quotes from frank himself i think i will have to believe it for the time being.

I heared that in Button's contract he was bound to BAR for 2005 if they finished higher than 4th in the constructors, but I guess that is false.

This is very good, Button and Webber are two of my favorite drivers and Williams is one of my favorite teams, and they are looking in good shape for 2005 (but then again we said that last year)

Date: August 05, 2004 11:51PM
Posted by: chet
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an IDIOT!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 05, 2004 11:54PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Oh. My. God!

This is big news, and something that I advocated a long time ago, but dismissed when Button was tied into a contract, seemingly!

COOL!!!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: August 05, 2004 11:55PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I wonder how many BAR fans there will be next season

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy