Posted by: assadof1
i am sorry to put this topic all over again
first it is about senna
i am not try to doubt senna ability
but i just wodering if he did't die in that inauspicious accident
did he gonna be in the same famous as is now, i mean take i look
on allan prost, no body care about him
he is a 4th time world champion and he still less famous then
driver like alonso or button he is unknown (this is my opinion)

ok let us imagine if we lost schumacher in the 1999 silverstone accident
i am sure that he will be more legendary then he is now

pepole like sympathize with this kind of thing when it happend
and i repeat again senna is one of my favorite drive so don't
attack me.

another thing
in the start of the 1998 season if u still remember
mika hakkinen and david coulthard has agree (after they get first and second
postion on the grid) that the one who get the first corner first will win the
race what ever it happpen
hakkinen manage to get it first and lead the race
then we see hakkinen coming to the pit as mistake from the team
and coulthard lead the race but he have to get it back to mika
and he did it slow down and let hakkinen back to the lead and win the race

i think this incident has coast david more then a race win
it coast him a championship as the team race by race switch him as a second
driver and the team command him to help mika for the championship
from that time i just see him falling down year by year
until he become undesirable persone as is now

Remember this is my opinion
Re: opinion
Date: July 26, 2004 05:13PM
Posted by: chet
IF Senna never died, he would be a five or six time WDC, for sure.

And yes he would be still legendry, and yes MS would be more legendry if he had died in 1999 because of the question - What would he have achieved?

And about DC, you are totally right

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 26, 2004 06:03PM
Posted by: Vader
This first corner agreement is one of the most persistent rumours in F1 history. There has never been such an agreement - at least not in the way people report it.

At Ferrari, for example, MS will win no matter if he is fast or not. RB has to move over anyway. (I know that this year RB didn't need to move over since he was too slow anyway). At McLaren it is different. There the fastest driver wins. That means that even when Mika was fighting for the title and needed all points he could get to beat Schumacher, he could not expect DC to move over if the Scot was faster (Spa 99). So if David was first after the first corner, it was his race and he wouldn't have to move over at all. If Mika was faster during the race he could have always passed David or vice versa.

Melbourne 1998 was a special case and didn't have anything to do with that alleged "agreement" DC didn't have to give the lead back to Mika. The team asked him if he would let Mika through again since the Finn would have won the race anyway and it wasn't his fault that McLaren sort of destroyed his race. David then decided to move over - not because he had to but because he was (and still is) a gentleman.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 26, 2004 06:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Thats not what DC and Ron said directly after the race, and thats not what DC said on TV a few weeks later. (Anyone from UK remember the program "McCoist and McAully"?)

I still have the video (altho i'll have to dig it out).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 26, 2004 08:22PM
Posted by: HaGGiS
Senna is still revered very highly due to the charisma he had in the era where F1 had just made it big on television and also because of the way in which he died.

In my opinion for these reasons the majority of people crank his pedestal up a few notches, also the same reason you always see Senna at the top of any published top 100 drivers or whatever. Give it another 20 years, and god forbid, Schumacher dieing in the same way, then people might start to be a bit more objective. Or not.

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: July 26, 2004 08:40PM
Posted by: Muks_C
senna probably would have retired in '96 or '97 (remember he was 34 in 1994), and IIRC he said he never wanted to beat Fangio's record of 5 titles. because he regarded him as the best, so did not want to beat him.

As for Schumacher, if he had died, there would have still been the 2 groups of people, those that supported him, and pondered what might have been (unfulfilled potential etc) and those that hated him for Adelaide '94.

but in general, people are more famous and have a bigger legend when they die young and unexpectedly (Kurt Cobain, Hendrix, Elvis, Princess Di etc).

about DC, yes i think he lost more than just the race at melbourne '98, regardless of whether it was his or the teams decision.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 26, 2004 10:08PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Yep, if something is cut short before it runs its full course, it is always revered, because there was no decline. In fact, the same is true of the Beatles, when they split in 1970, they were still putting out the most innovative music of the time, even now some of their arrangements, and almost all their songs sound amazing. Because they split at the peak of their powers, even if they hadn't played live in 5 years (which you canb understand completely given the situation at live performances!)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 26, 2004 10:47PM
Posted by: senna4ever
MMM .. Prost less known or less famous then Button? :) !! WOW !!

No personal attack, but just when did you start following F1?

Not Alonso or Button will ever achieve what Prost did, that you can be sure of.

Sure current media will focus on the here and now, so Prost has moved to the back ground after MS past his record 52 Grand Prix wins and 4 WDC titles. Life goes on I guess.

As for Senna, well he would probably have won in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 with Williams, giving him SEVEN titles. Then a possible move back to McLaren may well have seen him take 1998 and 1999 as well. All of this is mere guess work and I think 1995 (Senna vz Schumacher) would have been a stunner of a season as would 1999 have been if Schumacher didnt crash out at Silverstone. Off course all guess work and would have been or could have beens ....... :(

Instead we have Schumacher and ONLY Schumacher, and still no-one near him other then the if's and the but's ...... Kimi = bang, no rear wing = OUT. Button = engine change = down the grid = no contest. Where were the rest?

Date: July 26, 2004 11:34PM
Posted by: chet
I thought about very recently actually, Senna hated Williams, so well he would have left, lets say end of 96. And thats the 94, 95 and 96 title.

Thats 6 WDC. Also he wanted to go to Macca, and if stayed there till 2001 well it would have been:

1997 - 3rd in title
1998 - Won
1999 - Won
2000 - Won (remember Macca had a better car than Ferrari, but reliablity hampered them)
2001 - 1st/2nd.

PS i think he might have left at 1996 as well he had no one to fight, and he and Prost made up at Imola 94 hours before he died. Also Senna might have missed Prost.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2004 11:35PM by chet.
Date: July 26, 2004 11:37PM
He wouldnt have gotten 5. He said that if he got 4 he would retire. He had too much respect for Fangio and didnt want to break his record. He was great friends with him and didnt want to take it away from him

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 27, 2004 12:15AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
how can senna not be ahead of ms? the only thing in common is that they were both fast. thats it. ms is a robot. senna is a human with feelings and balls...

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 27, 2004 12:21AM
i think MS does have feelings (Indy this year he showed them)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 27, 2004 12:26AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
hows that?

edit: oh you mean the rs crash. hmmm...perhaps but if that was my bro i wud have jumped out to help him and offer moral support. fock the race. ms was gonna win the title anyway so what if he didnt win the us gp. he wud have won loads of fans if he jumped out and offered support especially after the 2002 race

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2004 12:28AM by rapid_f1.
Date: July 27, 2004 12:47AM
You dont get out of the car to help. Whilst he has feelings hes also smart and had time to think about it whilst driving past. He couldnt help by getting out, he might have even been in the wayy and Ferrari were in contact with williams, giving michael updates

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 27, 2004 12:54AM
Lance Armstrong is also called a robot and still he is THE record breaking cyclist. Honestly - have you ever met Schumacher or heard him in his own language? (Don't forget he might come across differently when talking English which is not his mother tongue)? How can you know he really is a robot?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 27, 2004 01:33AM
Posted by: tokiorocha

well, if Senna wouldn't lost his life in that accident problably others would die because lot of the F1 security started in that accident, just imagine RS accident in indianpolis with a early 90s F1 car, or a lot of other accidents since 94. He probably would have won a couple of titles with williams but we will never know...

tokiorocha
Date: July 27, 2004 01:51AM
My grandpa was born in 1911 - same year as Fangio - but never acquired a driving license. Who knows, if he had learned driving I might have been the grandson of a 12 times worldchampion right now. :p

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 27, 2004 02:00AM
Posted by: tokiorocha

lol

"if my grand-mother had wheels she would be a truck", or something like that
well, it's something we say in Portugal, nevermind

tokirocha
Date: July 27, 2004 02:31AM
You also say in Portuigal "quem tem cu tem medo" which really worries me. ;);)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 27, 2004 10:17AM
Posted by: Fisico2k3
@ chet
Senna was getting his ass kicked in 94 wasn't he?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Currently Driving: Watkins Glen Original
Current PB: 1:07.43
Using: Xbox Controller
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy