can williams & mclaren do the job?

Posted by tost 
can williams & mclaren do the job?
Date: December 17, 2002 01:23AM
Posted by: tost
my question is simple: can williams & mclaren cath up ferrari, or make leap over them, or we are heading for another 2002... i think thay can... why?

well, first of all, i do not think that, as mutch i would like to, monty or raikkonen will in 2003 be champions, but i think that ferrari will lose in constructors (to williams or mclaren), bicouse of one word: tires!
i think that monty, raikkonen even coulthard and schumacher jr. can be champions given the right car, but i'm afraid 2003 won't be the case.
ferrari is to ahead to be outpaced by one of the teams, in my opinion 2004 will be the year when we'll see another champ... why?
tires are the reason why. if you think that shumy can be beatn just remember 1998 MH's year, than 2001 MH's year, 1997 JV's year, 1998-2002 JV's year, and so on.
there's no driver in f1 who can win in minardi, and no driver wold look bad in F2002.

Senna the Man... the King... the God!
Re: can williams & mclaren do the job?
Date: December 17, 2002 03:30AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Of course Mclaren and Williams can do it. It's a question of whether they can use their resources as well as Ferrari, and produce a winning car. I hope they do, but I don't think they will.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: December 17, 2002 04:44AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
but williams and mclaren have budget restrictions don't they? where as ferrari can spend endlessly?

i mite be wrong.. but isn't this the case?

as for the winner.. i hope its schummi in a very close season long battle that goes down to the wire between many drivers ;)

hopefully webber finishes way up there also :D

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: December 17, 2002 06:22AM
Posted by: Ellis
but williams and mclaren have budget restrictions don't they? where as ferrari can spend endlessly?

i dont think so. This used to be the case for Ferrari as Fiat could pumb in endless ammounts of money. But now Fiat are in debt and cant do this (in debt cos there cars totally suck)

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 17, 2002 06:32AM
Posted by: Zcott
Yes, FIAT are providing much money into the F1 team these days. Most of Ferrari's income comes from their excellent results in GT racing, and selling a few cars. They do, however, have Marlboro on board, who seem to have a limitless supply of cash.

Williams and McLaren are definitely able to do it, but I'm not sure whether they will. I think that 2003 could be a bit like 1998. McLaren started off dominating, but by the end of the year, Ferrari were right up there. And so 2003 might start off with Ferrrari dominating, but Williams and McLaren will catch up. And let's face it, no one stays at the top in F1 forever!

Date: December 17, 2002 05:07PM
Posted by: LS.
ferrari = winning

so they can name their price when it comes to sponsership and other licensing deals

don't worry about ferrari not having the finances

they will still have the most money to spend.

i am really hoping that williams can improve their package next year to make the racing better and also mclaren, but i fear that even if they make a radical step forwards it still won't be enough to bridge the gap ferrari will make with next years car

i think 2004 will be more of a realistic bet

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 17, 2002 05:44PM
Posted by: andrew_S
in GT racing

hmm, i dont think it brings in money at all to be honnest, specially not things like the FIA gt, a few private teams, a few good drivers and quite a few amatures brings in the money, however you are right about the cars, i mean think about it 300 grand (£) a car

anyway, the problem with F1 now aday is that there is no scope for radical improvment, no scope for chapman esc latteral thinking, so when a team steels a march, like ferrari have done, it takes a very long time to catch up, hoaning not tenth but hundredth at a time!! i mean whn the lotus 72 got bettered by the ferraris and mclarens, it was the same situation, as now, but he had the scope and the freedom within the rules to come up with ground effect, that just couldnt happen today
Date: December 17, 2002 06:10PM
Posted by: LS.
having the financial clout to go out with with an open cheque book to poach all the key elements also makes a huge difference.

ferrari have always had the lions share of money in F1 but not necessarily in the techical dept but that soon changed

jean Todt

ross brawn

rory byrne

paulo martinelli

michael schumacher

all added together then made a potent ingrediant and resulted in dominance

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 17, 2002 06:11PM
Well, in this month's F1 Racing, Montezemolo says that they get most of their income from GTs, so don't blame me if it's wrong! :P

Date: December 18, 2002 04:44AM
really?!! hmm, that does sound strange i must say!
Date: December 18, 2002 05:00PM
Posted by: Vader
I agree with Andrew, since I aklways thought there were only private Ferrari teams in GT and they'd only participate in F1 as a company. But who knows, maybe Ferrari gets money from licenses out of the GT series.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 18, 2002 05:41PM
or maybe selling the cars, i mean they are going to be 700 grand upwards, so if they sell 6, thats 5m odd, but then again its still not what Marlbro bring in!
Date: December 19, 2002 04:52AM
Posted by: raztahz
next year williams will introduce a all new car, body everything down to the last carbon fibre... from the performance they had this year they might have a chance of winning some races next year with those new regulations

...for mclaren, i hope they won't encounter any propblems they had in this years car. don't you think coulthard should be replace from mclaren?

maybe i should do a pole on who should replace him and why....

Date: December 19, 2002 04:55AM
no.... mclaren makes as much money as ferrari, only now and the last two years they were able to beat mclaren in the money budget...

this year alone Ferrari's budget is over $30 000 000 000 US

Date: December 19, 2002 05:00AM
only the past two years ferrari was able to beat mclaren on budgets

seriously mclaren have alot of money

FACT: Mercedes don't even make engines for Mclaren...they buy em and badge em from some manufacturer in England 4 got the name?

i remember illmore...

Date: December 19, 2002 05:05AM

basically it all comes from fiat and sponsors...theres is a reason why theres
F/I/A/T in the nose cone and right under MARLBORO on the side

Date: December 19, 2002 09:32AM
Mercedes now own most of Ilmor, so they're mostly paying for their own engines.

Date: December 19, 2002 01:24PM
fiat own ferrari, and therefore, all ferraris finance is from fiat, thats why its on the car
Date: December 19, 2002 01:25PM
I suspect Marlboro are paying considerably more money than FIAT these days. After all FIAT are in trouble, they don't have much money to spend on F1!

Date: December 19, 2002 02:46PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I heard $4.5bn in debt

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy