Bad news for Renault?

Posted by Zcott 
Bad news for Renault?
Date: December 10, 2002 02:53PM
Posted by: Zcott
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Cigarette brands such as Marlboro Lights and Mild Seven will be banned in the European Union from October after the EU's top court threw out a bid by two tobacco firms to challenge a tough new law.

The European Court of Justice said a ban on descriptions such as "light" and "mild" on products marketed within the EU was appropriate to protect public health, although analysts said manufacturers would find other ways to differentiate cigarette strengths.

"The ban is not disproportionate," the court said in a statement on Tuesday. "It is not clear that merely regulating those descriptions would have been as effective in ensuring that consumers receive objective information."

The court rejected a claim that the law was invalid because the EU does not have the power to legislate on health policy, and upheld it as an attempt to harmonise standards in the bloc.

David Davies, senior vice president for corporate affairs at Philip Morris, said the law would not stop the company selling the brands that are available now.

"Marlboro Lights, the product as we know it today, will continue to be sold," he told Reuters. "The use of the word 'light' is by no means the only way to differentiate our products."

He declined to say what measures the firm would take to comply with the law.

One British-based consumer analyst said the firms were likely to introduce different colour schemes such as "Marlboro Silver" and "Marlboro Blue" to indicate differing strengths.

The firm, which did not sponsor the court challenge but has about 36 percent of the EU market, currently uses red, gold and silver packaging on different strengths of Marlboro cigarettes.

NO RIGHT TO APPEAL

The court ruling was the endgame in a two-year battle by cigarette firms to force the EU to water down the new tobacco law, which also puts limits on tar and nicotine and demands that cigarette packets carry big stark warnings about health risks.

The court backed the EU in almost every respect but agreed that manufacturers such as British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco, who brought the legal action, could continue to make "mild" and "light" products for export.

"We are very disappointed that all other aspects of the directive remain valid," said Liz Buckingham, a spokeswoman for Imperial Tobacco. "We believe it imposes unreasonable measures with no supporting evidence that they will be effective."

BAT, which says 90 percent of its UK production is exported from the EU, welcomed the reprieve for exports but said the business community would view the ruling with concern.

"We seek to maintain the rights of our adult consumers to receive full information about our products without having to suffer fallout from the Commission's crusade against the tobacco industry," BAT's corporate affairs director said in a statement.

Japan Tobacco, which markets brands belonging to Camel producer R.J. Reynolds outside the United States, failed to overturn the law in a previous court challenge.

The firms have no right to appeal the decision.

"This has gone as far as it can go," Imperial's Buckingham told Reuters.

Christopher Wickham, consumer analyst at Lehman Brothers bank in London, said low-tar cigarette brands unaffected by the ban, such as BAT's Kent and Gallaher's Silk Cut, were the potential beneficiaries of the court's ruling.

However, firms would simply use different ways of creating and selling a brand's image, he said.

"I don't think (the court's ruling) is particularly damaging, and neither does the market," he said.

BAT shares ended up 3.2 percent and Gallaher closed nearly two percent higher. On Wall Street, R.J. Reynolds and Philip Morris gained more than one percent.

Another analyst said extra costs of repackaging and the ban on making high-tar tobacco within the EU could encourage firms to move production abroad.

Davies from Philip Morris said the firm would take the "substantial costs" of packaging redesign in its stride.

"I don't think this is going to impact our ability to continue to compete and continue to grow our business in the EU," he said.

Re: Bad news for Renault?
Date: December 11, 2002 01:48AM
Posted by: Ellis
ban all cigerette adverts IMO........just IMO it should all happen at the same time, so not to have problems such as Belgium

Ban it all!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 12, 2002 03:35AM
Posted by: Xero
The thing is if you ban all cig ads, then most teams lose alot of sponsor money which will make the money problem even bigger!!!

Leave cig ads alone IMO! - in the interest of future F1!

Date: December 12, 2002 07:37AM
Posted by: Morbid
I am a smoker and I say ban 'em.

Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, more addictive than almost every substance you can find - legal or not, and it destroys your health. Quitting is a very serious matter indeed, with withdrawal syptoms and all. For most people it takes years of trial and error. To add insult to injury, tobacco companies have known these things for decades, without telling anybody, and systematically trying to supress the truth.

These people make money by slowly killing their customers, and keeping them ignorant of their own death. Children used to be one of the prime targets for the commercials. Advertising is so important to them, because they always need new customers - a more pressing matter for them than any other industry, because smokers just die off faster. And getting children to smoke is even better, because they last longer. Why should a business that works like this be allowed to continue their game?

I just can't see F1 as due justification.

As long as the F1 teams are given time to cultivate new sponsors, I can't see a problem. And 3 years of sponsor searching is a long time. Not to mention that the worlds largest market (China) is opening up for F1 soon and so is Russia and the Middle East. There should be enough time and opportunity to make good the loss.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 12, 2002 08:39AM
Posted by: Zcott
Williams are hardly doing too bad these days without tobacco advertising.

Date: December 12, 2002 09:04AM
Posted by: andrew_S
lets get one thing straight, F1 doesnt have a money problem, in fact if there is a problem, its the fact there is too much money, the prolblem however is one of overspending.......

anyway the problem with banning it all at once rather than a phased ban, is that the FIA will just pull out of european races totally, if its phased everyone has time to ajust, and find other sponsors, and the FIA not pull out, as has been seen with spa this year, if you make a desision quickly, and emediatly, it has bad consiquences for the races
Date: December 12, 2002 10:25AM
Posted by: Vader
Morbid, brother, as usual I agree a 110% with you.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 13, 2002 02:44AM
Posted by: Ellis
Williams are hardly doing too bad these days without tobacco advertising.

and Stewart didnt do too bad for themseleves either

It MUST go

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: December 15, 2002 02:42AM
Posted by: mortal
If you want to quit smoking try Zyban, there are some nasty side effects like hives and insomnia, extreme agitation etc. but what's a few weeks of side effects compared to your improvement in health and of course think of the money you will save. I was once a pack a day smoker and getting on Zyban 3 years ago was the best thing i ever did. I figure that over a 30 year habit I have funded tobacco companies to the tune of around 100,000 dollars! A couple of nose cones or some gearbox bits ;-) Anyway being on Zyban was like being totally wired for a few weeks and I actually managed to quit without completing the program, have faith, be strong, it can be done. Good luck :-) (sorry if the thread is going off on a tangent)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 15, 2002 06:30AM
Posted by: LS.
lee evans once said that those cigarette nicotine patches were brilliant, he put one over each eye and could'nt find his fags

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 15, 2002 08:09AM
Posted by: Orpheus
:P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy