Why are Minardi in F1?

Posted by DrDougal 
Why are Minardi in F1?
Date: June 29, 2004 08:52PM
Posted by: DrDougal
Minardi are constantly at the back of the grid, very uncompetitive and are holding up the progress of Formula 1 through their lack of funds. Does anyone think they should just bugger off?
I am all for large grids as it is more action, but many times in the past few years Minardi have held up the progress of Formula 1 because they "need" their sponsers on tv. Clearly Minardi are one of the teams to get the new qualifying system scrapped.
Re: Why are Minardi in F1?
Date: June 29, 2004 09:14PM
Posted by: Ferrari is the best!!!
because there has to be at least 10 teams. But if they drop out, 2 teams will have to field 3 cars.

Check out my website!
[www.freewebs.com]
Date: June 29, 2004 09:37PM
Posted by: Vader
Private teams like Minardi and Jordan are the last to hold up high the true spirit of F1. In fact the big car manufacturers ruin the sport with their policies. The result of this battle of material is a fatal cost spiral that destroys teams like Minardi, Arrows, Jordan or Prost - and that's really a pity. Without the Stoddarts, Stewarts, Walkinshaws, Jordans, Prosts and Tyrells this sport would never have been what it is now.

Stop complaining about independent teams, blame it on the big car manufacturers.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 29, 2004 09:39PM
Posted by: andrew_S
never a truer word spoken than the above post by vader

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: June 29, 2004 09:41PM
Posted by: b-tone
i agree, get rid of minardi - too slow.
so are jordan for that matter so out with them too.

and saubers just a ferrari puppet so byebye...

jaguar and toyota are just slow corporate dinosaurs so lose them too.

and mclaren are an embarressment so get rid of them asap.

renault and bar aren't that good either, and basically tar stained coffins on wheels so who needs them???

and i think williams should take a few year sabbatical till they get thier speed back.

so what i want is just ferrari. that's be perfekc.

(but rubens is slo as a dead donkey so we don't want him no more)

_/\_

____
Tony

Date: June 29, 2004 10:00PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
lmao! :)

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 29, 2004 10:00PM
Posted by: Xero
Yeah, totally agree with Vader. Besides, if I had barely enought money to run an F1 team, even if the car was rubbish, hell i'd go for it! Taking part is what its all about if you ask me!
Date: June 29, 2004 10:04PM
Posted by: FRESCO
i agree with vaders post whole heartedly.

without teams like jordan and minardi, F1 wouldnt be where it is today.

Date: June 29, 2004 10:16PM
Posted by: dolinseks
i understand, and agree with vader, but i just cant understand, that such suckers like stoddart, can ruin the quali for all viewers. i mean, if more than half f1 is for new quali, then, they should aprove new format, even if minardis wont be able to reac 107% time. its simple, if you cant survive, than you die, and minardi doesnt need to be in f1.
Date: June 29, 2004 11:04PM
Posted by: DrDougal
without teams like jordan and minardi, F1 wouldnt be where it is today

yes, your right! we would have a much better qualifying system!
Date: June 29, 2004 11:09PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
DrDougal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> without teams like jordan and minardi, F1 wouldnt
> be where it is today
>
> yes, your right! we would have a much better
> qualifying system!

Are you blaming David Richards too then? Because he spoke out agaisnt the qually system (check autosport for his quotes). As did others. Just because Stoddy done it first, doesnt mean anything. Others have followed

Minardi have been in F1 for god knows how long. Its not like they entered a few years back and have been hanging on. they have been here since the 80s. I may not like Stoddy and his "the world is agaisnt me, you all owe me" attitude, but i like Minardi, and i especially like Eddie Jordon

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 30, 2004 01:05AM
Posted by: Muks_C
the point is that the fact minardi are poor holds back everyone else. without minardi, nobody would really worry about how big the budget is. but because minardi can't afford stuff, they ask for reduction in budget.

if 8 of 10 teams can afford it and are happy, things should be done to favour them, and everything shouldn't be changed just to help 2 small teams. if a team wants to spend 300 million a year, let them.

minardi are never going to improve from tail-end charlies.

its harsh to say, but would it not be better if another 2 or 3 large global manufacturers came into F1 to genuinely compete, in place of minardi, who are really just there to make up the numbers?

the private teams are nice to have, and its a sentimental thing, you see the human side with people like Frank williams and ken tyrell and peter sauber etc, but a big manufacturer might actually have a worthwhile existence in F1, rather than minardi who haven't and probably never will achieve anything.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 30, 2004 01:24AM
Posted by: gareth
'8 out of 10 teams' aren't happy and recognise the need to lower costs in f1, think renault, bar and jaguar. current costs really are obsecene at the moment. lower costs i believe will help create more competitive racing. and it would also allow other teams into the sport, including both privateers and your factory teams. arden have been making noises about stepping up, there was some rumblings from stefan johanssan last week i think about starting up a team if costs fell. volkswagen might decide the lower cost is worth it and jump in. minardi and jordan could come back and be competitive. you could have a thirty car field from 15 teams where any of the top 10-12 have a GENUINE chance of winning. wouldn't that be nice?

but to answer the thread question, why is minardi in f1? coz it's a sport, and competing is what it's all about.
Date: June 30, 2004 01:36AM
Posted by: HaGGiS
its harsh to say, but would it not be better if another 2 or 3 large global manufacturers came into F1 to genuinely compete, in place of minardi, who are really just there to make up the numbers?

the private teams are nice to have, and its a sentimental thing, you see the human side with people like Frank williams and ken tyrell and peter sauber etc, but a big manufacturer might actually have a worthwhile existence in F1, rather than minardi who haven't and probably never will achieve anything.

Don't agree with that one. The manufacturers only stay until it suits themselves and then buggers off whenever they want to. They aren't in it for the long haul, just to satisfy whatever marketing needs they have. Rather than having just all manufacturer teams i'd rather it was all privateer teams to be honest. They are what F1 will(or should) always boil down too, and if it was only privateer teams then that would go a long way to solving all the cost and competition problems that F1 is experiencing atm.

"No it's not a skirt"
Date: June 30, 2004 01:54AM
Posted by: Orpheus
remember only 4 years ago williams were struggling and jordan nearly won the bloody championship. F1 can change very drastically very quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: June 30, 2004 01:58AM
Posted by: zymolguy
holding up the progress of Formula 1 through their lack of funds

please explain...

Date: June 30, 2004 03:00AM
Posted by: Fisico2k3
Muks don't you think a $48 million entry fee is tad ridiculous?

Imagine a company wanting to enter F1 discussing that!

"hey we should enter F1!"
"yeah that'd be great!"
*googles 'entry conditions for F1'*
"on second thoughts let's buy andorra"
"yep."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Currently Driving: Watkins Glen Original
Current PB: 1:07.43
Using: Xbox Controller
Date: June 30, 2004 09:51AM
Posted by: Palomino
What i hav been telling my friends is that i very much dislike car companies in F1, Ferrari used to be the sole Car Manufacturer and the rest were "teams" now we have "teams" that are global companies, they ruined F1, remember F1 in the early to mid 90's? great modern racing. get rid of the corprate bozos who know nothing about f1 and bring back the f1 TEAMS!

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Date: June 30, 2004 11:35AM
Posted by: andrew_S
i reallly cant beleive people beleive the big manufactuerers are good for F1, it beggers beleive people beleive that tbh, weve seen them all come in over the last 10 or so years (they were there before, but only suplying engines not in an as active role) and its no co insidence that F1, the teams that compete, the lack of racing action, and the corperate attitude have all co insided with this shift from the private teams, to the big manufactuerer supported/sharingholding teams...

i really do wonder sometimes if this matter of opinion, is dependent on what "era" you started watching racing in, i do feel racing attracts a differet type of fan to the racing i was brought up watching, to be honnest, as i just cant understand why people want these manufactuerers.

As haggis says, its all a marketting excersise, they arent in it for the long hall, take engine manufacturers, they come and go, honda came and went, there back now, same with renault, and Jaguar are maybe even pulling out! i think that fact says enough about the manufacturer teams... BMW "we will go if we dont get our own way" what pos would that put frank in? what state would F1 be in then? more ferrari romps? yeah... exactly...

Just look at sportscar racing (Group C if you can even remember it..) It was always about big manufactuerer teams, and then privatly run cars, by amatures (in C2) or privately bought manufacturers cars, thats ok, and it worked for 30 years, however, when the manufactueres pull out and costs rise dramatically, these lower, private teams cant compete (i,e minardi/jordan comparison), this happend in 3.5L GpC 91/92 WSC, where only 2 or 3 manufacturer teams spending millions could compete (running F1 engine spec regs, and effectly F1 engines) the other teams, and people cant compete, the manufacturers pulled out, and sportscar racing went down the pan, to the extent that the world championship was scrapped and the sportscar scene is now so fragmented, there will never be another world sportscar/prototype world championship, and beleive me, it was almost as big, and probably as good as F1 at the time, and theres no reason this cant happen to F1....

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2004 11:45AM by andrew_S.
Date: June 30, 2004 01:43PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
If Minardi pulled out, then it would be Jordan at the back. Then if Jordan pulled out, it would be another team at the back and so on.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy