Lapping should be banned!

Posted by Andy Mad 
Lapping should be banned!
Date: May 31, 2004 12:44PM
Posted by: Andy Mad
We were talking over the current situation in F1 with Vadimka and came to the conclusion that all these new rules (quali, one engine per weekend) are absolutely useless and don't bring any excitement to F1 at all. The only reasonable innovation would be banning that lapping rule when you MUST give a way to a driver if he's lapping you. Why on earth should I give in to anybody? If you're so bloody fast then prove that you're a great driver and overtake me!

Can you imagine how interesting the races would become if the guys had to OVERTAKE the other guys to lap them? A lot of action would be involved, the spectacular level of F1 would be miles higher and we finally would be able to see who's worth what in what's supposed to be RACING.

Re: Lapping should be banned!
Date: May 31, 2004 01:21PM
Posted by: DS2k3
nah thats kinda crap :P maybe other way is to find a good way to make aero not as complex and some how reduce the affect of the dirty air which prevents cars from getting passed. i think taking away TC will probably make more overtaking and more exciting races. i just dont think that getting held up by a minardi at monaco would fun to watch:P
Date: May 31, 2004 01:36PM
monaco is a special issue, I agree, maybe there should be an exception... but hey, waidasecond! then we'll have to make an exception for Imola.... No. If you've got that super-lisence then prove your worth it. Even at monaco overtaking is still possible, you've seen a couple of them this year...

I'm against artificial rules like "10 positions back", "everybody should use the same tyres"... thats' artificial while dropping blue flags is very natural racy thing that will bring a lot of excitement into F1.

Date: May 31, 2004 01:39PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Um...this is not one of your bright ideas :P
Date: May 31, 2004 01:40PM
Posted by: Zcott
Rubbish! A worse driver should always defer to a driver a lap ahead. Put it this way, if there are three cars chasing each other and they're coming up on a lapped car, the last thing you want to have to do is have to plan out an overtaking move on the backmarker. Ideally, he gets himself out of the picture before the picture is even printed. Backmarkers just spoil the racing.

Date: May 31, 2004 01:58PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Everybody using the same tyre manufacturer will solve alot of problems. It has always been the same with two tyre manufactureres like prelli and good year, the cars got faster and faster back then due to the competition. So one wnet and the pace settled down.
Date: May 31, 2004 02:11PM
Posted by: Fisico2k3
Well I'm inclined to agree with Scott here, but then there isn't much racing at the mo anyway. (But I am quite pissed right now so you can ignore me).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Currently Driving: Watkins Glen Original
Current PB: 1:07.43
Using: Xbox Controller
Date: May 31, 2004 02:17PM
Posted by: andrew_S
obviously if we hark back to the early 90s when you didnt have to jump out the way, lapping was a conciderable skill, it was one that marked the top drivers from the others, by taking that away, you have taken away an eliment of the skill in driving in a grand prix, schumacher, senna and mansell, lets say made a hell of a lot of time lapping its what they would win a race on sometimes, now, 3 blue flags and your shot, so i cant agree more than with the original post

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: May 31, 2004 02:18PM
Posted by: ralphi
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Um...this is not one of your bright ideas :P

why not!? this would actually be fun.. i mean i wanna see Gianmaria fight with MS.. :D

Date: May 31, 2004 02:31PM
Posted by: Palomino
would be awesome! but i dont think it would help montoya, i mean hes already battling with them for position!

[www.kraftwerk.com]
Date: May 31, 2004 02:37PM
Posted by: villej
It would work otherwise, but both Saubers will let Ferraris easily past.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: May 31, 2004 05:44PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Can you imagine how interesting the races would become if the guys had to OVERTAKE the other guys to lap them?

Do you really want to listen to DC whinning about traffic after every GP? Thats what your asking for...

CART didnt have a lapping rule until a few years ago, and it looked hell and ruined races. NASCAR still doesnt have lapping rules, but soon will
Date: May 31, 2004 05:56PM
hm, you have a point but DC or whoever else (Alonso has a bad habit of waving his hand when someone in his way) whines is just because they know they should be given the way.
FIA is trying to find a remedy from a big bore that modern F1 has become but anything they have implemented so far doesn't make any sensible effect. So I just gave my solution to the problem. Don't be affraid, no one's gonna get stuck behind Minardi's or any other team that's not performing at the particular moment.

Date: May 31, 2004 08:47PM
Posted by: Muks_C
If you're so bloody fast then prove that you're a great driver and overtake me!

err, so being nearly a full lap ahead of you doesn't prove how good/fast the driver/car is?????

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 31, 2004 09:12PM
Posted by: NickKK
If this hapened we'd be seeing 20 cars one after the other at the end of Monaco. It just isn't the same as the early 90's overtaking isn't as easy and it is next to impossibls in Monaco. Why would DC have been behind Bernoldi for 50 million laps - you implying that he's not a skilled driver? Or that Bernoldi was somehow faster than DC ?

Date: May 31, 2004 09:16PM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
Yeah!! I know it's a good idea but in reality it would have more downsides than upsides. :)

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: June 01, 2004 12:18AM
>> err, so being nearly a full lap ahead of you doesn't prove how good/fast the driver/car is?????

not always, in fact if you've managed to get behind the other guy just because of the difference in speed (say ferrari vs jordan) it won't be impossible to get pass the slower guy, maybe you'll have to hang on him for half a lap or even a couple of laps but you'll get past him eventually because the slower guy will be constantly under pressure and it's very hard from the human point of view. Monaco may be a different story, it may be the only track where they should "enable" the rule.
But I don't understand lapping the cars that are playing (almost) in your league only because something crazy happened like frontwing change or something... But other people's problems are not your achievment so what right do you have to take advantage of them? I mean you CAN of cource take advantage of everything but not by handycapping the unlucky side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy