Sweeping rule changes to F1!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Pooky 
Re: Sweeping rule changes to F1!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: April 24, 2004 11:15AM
Posted by: villej

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2004 11:16AM by villej.
Date: April 24, 2004 01:04PM
Posted by: marcl
ligier was bought by prost his bad managemant caused problems there.
benetton are now renault
arrows had probs again due to bad management.
stewart were bought by ford.

If minardi can keep going any team can.

Yes it would be good to have more teams but the new rules wont get them we could even have less teams as merc and bmw are not happy about the engine rules.
Date: April 24, 2004 08:30PM
Posted by: Muks_C
any new team have something like a 10 year action plan. thats not good. i think they should be allowed to buy year old chassis for their first 3 years in F1, but from their 4th year, have to build their own.

i don't agree with buying current spec cars, or year old cars for any team, only new ones.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 24, 2004 08:58PM
Posted by: Locke Cole
Oh For GOD'S SAKE GUYS!!!!

I would like to say thank you to people who have posted sensible, well-thought through comments to this thread, which means that I am addressing the minority.

Fact 1: Formula 1 NEEDS changes to bring costs down. Any improvement to the spectacle would be a bonus.

Fact 2: These reg changes will reduce costs

Fact 3: These reg changes will improve the spectacle.

As with everyone, there are proposals I'm not happy about - namely, the 2-race-engine rule and the 'No Tyre Changes'. But I love the idea of V8s and slimemr front tyres, these will both dramatically reduce speeds.

But I was over the moon when I saw some of the proposals - what a great idea! F**k of GPWC, don't be so stupid. Realise when changes are coming in for the better.
Date: April 24, 2004 10:19PM
Posted by: Marco1
While watching qualifying this morning on Speed, This new issue was brought up. They said that the 5 constructors backed out of the new concorde agreement for 2008 because of these proposed changes.

First off why does the FIA need to slow down these cars to begin with? As long as safty remains a major priority within the teams, and none of the drivers are being hurt during the gp weekend there is no need for them to slow these cars down.

Locke you mentioned improvement in the specticle, sure these regs will bring the cars together, however, what also adds the the specticle is witnessing f1 cars going down the legendary gp straights at over 350 km at monza and witnessing them break 100 meters from the corner at speeds over 315km down to 140km. All these issues will be nullified, with standardized breaks and v8 engines the cars will be entering the corner slower and breaking earlier. Watching a GP live one of the greatest things that seperates f1 from its pretenders like CART is the music those f1 engines make. All that will be extinquished and what will we have left a bloody mock of f 3000 like people have already suggested.

Manufacturers have entered formula one in essence for promotion, but also because formula one is the leading edge of motorsport technology a lot of the technological advancements are duplicated into our very own street cars. With such regulations inplace an enzo or a mclaren f1 would not exhist. Formula one use to be a racing phenominon where small teams could join up and race for gp supremecy, however in the last 10 years that has changed and it will continue doing so. Why keep teams like minardi and jordan around anyway? They are obtrusive to the leaders and cause more danger because of the drivers inexperience in certain conditions than the actual speeds of the cars do (imo)

Indeed I would love to see VW or someother large manufacturers enter the arena of formula one in place of Minardi and Jordan.

Car manufacturers have a large depth in wealth, look at mclaren they built 3 different models last year, and one of them never raced, and yet they still place to release a b version of their current mp4 19, by doing this I believe that they arent concerned with cash instead they are concerned with performance and their image. Ferrari too, when the championship looked grim until monza in 2003, who knows how much financial resources they put in place to get back on terms with their rivals. Toyota doesnt seem to have any problems with cash for they have grabbed many individuals (high payed) to add to their effort and renault too are in the same boat since taking over for bennetton a few years ago.

Formula one is all about the glamour and the financial aspect, it isnt called the richest sport in the world for nothing, let alone the most expensive sport. It has always remained the pinnacle of leading edge technology, so instead of throwing it generations back, for 2008 they should look at making formula one more environmentally friendly. Creating fuel compositions which contain less non renewable resources and for renewable, environmentally friendly resources. The exhaust from the cars should be looked into as well. 2008 is four years away, by then safety should also have made a quantum leap forward, hence the current paces from the cars is not neccessarily bad, as long as safety can keep up with the speeds it is perfectly fine. Think about it, the more maxed the safety is within formula one, the more teams focus on safety as they have been doing, the more the tricle down effect works, and road cars become more safe.

In my opinion formula one does not need to reduce the costs drastically, what they should do to reduce costs is open up regulations on testing, i.e. allow three days (wed, thurs, frid) before every gp weekend for the drivers to test the circuit for a 1.5 hour interval each day, limit the amount of private testing during the year to 20 days. While in the off season after november break teams can test as much as they want until 3 weeks before the gp when a new testing ban would come into place. Would that not cut costs drastically? Sure ferrari may not agree to it, but, do any of the 5 main constructors agree to these disasterous leaps backwards for 2008?

Also, one last thing, there is no reason to worry about the specticle in formula one. Michael schumacher and not neccessarily ferrari has won three gp's this year, look to where rubans is for ferrari's true pace. Albeit, MS may retire this year, if not then its guaranteed after the 2005 season, his children are growing up and he is in most ways missing their lives by being on the road, I believe family comes first in this case, and he has accomplished so much, once that senna pole record is overtaken he will retire. Once he retires formula one will return to its competitive form of the early 1990's. When a hegemonic driver leaves, the team he has left is sent into remote chaos, and competators will attempt to grab at what would be a new championship and a renissance within the sport. If its domination everyone is worried about there is no reason for in another year ms will be gone.

Where safety is concerned, f1 must continue to push it, and continue to be innovative in their solutions, for in reality it will all benifit us. If its cost they are worried about, then minardi and jordan should take a hint and leave, and allow every team to field either three or four cars for the gp weekend.

in closing, I am not for any radicle changes on a downward spiral like the fia have suggested, what I want to see is formula one actually move forward, and get faster, the real danger in f1 does come from the circuits themselves, which with ticket prices soooo high should be able to produce far safer and far more asteically pleasing circuits for the drivers and the fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2004 10:20PM by Marco1.
Date: April 24, 2004 10:34PM
Posted by: villej
"Indeed I would love to see VW or someother large manufacturers enter the arena of formula one in place of Minardi and Jordan."

F1 wouldn't be F1 without Minardi and other small teams!

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: April 24, 2004 10:38PM
Posted by: Marco1
just a side note ;)

I dont like the return to fully standardized gear boxes, f1 has been racing with semi auto for 11 years now, and it is pointless to go back. Also, with these tech regs its starting to sound like NASCAR, if you want tech regs and close racing watch nascar, f1 is and was never about that, its about technical leaps and thats what I want to see more of.

When speaking about front and rear track that may actually be a decent idea to promote closer racing, and I am all for getting rid of the current tire situation and coming back to a single tire manufacturer, this way we wont as people suggested see a huge difference every year. If they do go back to a single tire manufacturer, I want the removal of these groved tires and a return to the slicks! Lighter chassis I am all for, 50 kilo's is a good place to go, but no v8 engines and no semi auto gear boxes.

as for the aero packages, keep them the way they are, in many ways they make the car more stable while cornering around a circuit. What would be the point of cars flying off the circuit, although it makes sense that it would promote the drivers abilities more, but still, I like technology in f1 far more than the driver aspect.

I would limit the revs of the engines to 17000 rpm, instead of the v8's heck, why dont they have eddie irvine take over for max, he proposed v6's. an engine per every 2 gp weekends is ludicrus, I think the current reg is just as dumb, maybe limit every driver to a qualifying and race engine and leave it at that, the qualy one only used through qualifying, and the race one used on friday and sunday. New Qualy format, go back to pre 2003 and the problem is solved, I was hoping that that would take effect next year and not in 2008.

But overall remember, formula one was a lot closer when goodyear was the sole tire manufacturer. Things became outlandish when bridgestone came into formula one. then in 1999 how many race winners were there? hhf, mika and eddie going for the championship. Michelin comes into formula one and bang ferrari domination until they faulter in 2003. Look how close the michelin runners were in the championships and so forth. A single tire manufacturer is the bloody key to getting back formula one from domination, and the FIA are too blind to realise this instead of all these bullshit changes, get rid of bridgestone or michelin and bang, back to success we go!

In my opinion max and bernie are way tooooo old and should be replaced with fresh blood, these guys are ruining the sport and as fans we should have a say. If you dont think their ruining it then why since the advent of grooved tires are lap times nearly 10 seconds faster in some places, I would love to see what they do to spa this year, I predict 6 second lap record.

Date: April 25, 2004 12:31AM
Posted by: marcl
there is now talk of the break away league again.

BMW have said they will only save 5% a year making the new engines.

As I said teams may as well all by a car make by lola and we can have a cart races instead.

I dont mind rules being changed as we saw wilson is a good drver by finishing where he did in cart. But F1 is meant to be the best in the world and i dont like some of the new things they are saying.
Date: April 25, 2004 07:39PM
F1 wouldn't be F1 without Minardi and other small teams!

you're right in a way. F1 has the human element because of teams like Williams, Sauber, Minardi, Jordan, Ferrari etc, because they are something that 1 man has created. it wouldn't seem as good to just have large faceless world-wide manufacturers in F1.

but you can't keep changing rules to help the smaller teams survive forever. i'd rather see a competitive manufacturer-based team, challenging the top teams, rather than minardi continuing to just make up the numbers, and running 7 seconds a lap slower than the front runners.

Date: April 27, 2004 01:50AM
Posted by: twiglet
the idea of the changes was for two reasons
save money
bring racing back to the driver and not the team
the fia reckon the teams will save around 10mil a year from the changes.
if it were me i would allow only 1 tyre and one compound for qualy and race unless wet weather but allow unlimited tyre changes during qualy and race and ban refueling. it would then be down to who can make there tyres last longest at good lap times and like somoen said would ban fake positions.
would MS have got past button on a difficult overtaking track if they didnt refuel but pitted for tyres only, made by the same company and with the same compound? they could pit the exact lap and race it all the way. more tension even if not more overtaking!
Date: April 27, 2004 09:26AM
Posted by: senninho
I really don't know what the fuss is over the reduction in engine size - F1 went from 3.5 to 3 litres for 1995 and the racing was just as good, even with less than 650bhp. The designers will pull it back within a couple of years anyway.

The weight increase will prolly make it a bit easier to overtake, as braking distances will increase slightly.

Date: April 27, 2004 10:07AM
Posted by: LS.
is'nt part of the concorrde agreement that all the exisiting teams have to agree on proposed changes before they are implemented?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: April 27, 2004 10:31AM
Posted by: Locke Cole
LS - that's why Max is proposing the changes for after the Concorde agreement finishes lol
Date: April 27, 2004 10:40AM
Posted by: LS.
could'nt be arsed to read all of the above test ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: April 27, 2004 02:19PM
Posted by: twiglet
it will be a majority vote he is proposing instead of unanimous, and i believe it said the weight is to be reduced not increased, cos the extra ballast carried to make up the weight cause too much inertia, go read it
Date: April 27, 2004 11:14PM
they would also like to have a new concorde agreement before the current one runs out, so they can change the voting system, and make it a majority vote instead of a unanimous decision. but thats unlikely without a unanimous decision LOL:)

yeah, and also reduce the minimum weight to 550KG, to remove the need for ballast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy