Rumors that MS may retire at the end of 2002

Posted by TeamFerrari 
Rumors that MS may retire at the end of 2002
Date: May 19, 2002 12:50AM
Posted by: TeamFerrari
Yes, you heard right sports fans.

According to Planet-F1, MS was so embrassed by what happened at Austria, he may retire. I say MAY retire.

click on the below link for details.

[www.planet-f1.com]

Rubens, leave Ferrari while you still can!!!
Re: Rumors that MS may retire at the end of 2002
Date: May 19, 2002 01:54AM
Posted by: chris
There is growing press speculation that 2002 will be Michael Schumacher's final year in Formula 1.

The latest issue of the world's best-selling F1 magazine, F1 Racing, out today, devotes a page in its news section to the underlying facts behind what they think is his likely decision.

Earlier in the week, the influential motorsport weekly, Autosport also carried an editorial along the same lines.

F1 observers point to the fact that Ferrari motorsport chief Jean Todt categorically stated in 2001, when Rubens Barrichello was asked to give up his second place in Austria to Schumacher, that had Rubens been leading the race he would not have been asked to move over.

The logic of it being that only an exceptional circumstance would make Jean go back on his word. Those exceptional circumstances being the fact that this was Schumacher's final season.

The second and more significant fact is the length of Rubens' new contract which was widely expected to be for just one year, till 2003, and turned out to be until the end of 2004.

The magazine writes that "a number of senior, independent F1 observers have told F1 Racing they believe Schumi is driving his last season for the Scuderia - and that the team's need for continuity explains their decision, announced on the Thursday pre-Austria, to sign Rubens until the end of 2002".

Three reasons why Michael Schumacher will retire at the end of the year:

Austria. The world champion was deeply embarrassed by the finish at the Austrian GP, where had to endure booing as he made his way onto the podium. In the press conference that followed he faced hostile questions such as: "What will this championship be worth if you win it?" to which he replied "I don't think that's a nice question".

The dangers. Schumacher was visibly upset last year at the plight of former Williams driver Alex Zanardi, whose return to ChampCars resulted in him losing both legs during a high-speed accident at the Lausitzring.

There's nothing left to prove. By the end of this season Schumacher is likely to have 60+ race victories and five world championships.

It's an editorial piece, so its not based on fact...that said it does sound plausible...and maybe why RB is not getting annoyed at having to let MS take setups and wins from him.

Chris J

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: May 19, 2002 02:31AM
Posted by: LS.
i'd be suprised if he did retire given the dominance of the ferrari at the moment

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 19, 2002 03:33AM
Posted by: _Alex_
If he wins the championship I would not be surprised if he did retire. If he doesn't win it, which doesn't look like being the case at the moment, then who knows?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: May 19, 2002 04:28AM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
Seems to me the magazines just like to keep the fans stick to F1. If the fans think: "How great, Schumacher will retire", the sport increases interest. Which it really needs after last weeks happenings.
Of course the magazines might also fear a drop in sales. Now they've got an interesting story, and a lot of fans regaining interest in the sport.
IMO Schumacher will retire at the end of his contract in 2004.
Date: May 19, 2002 11:47AM
Posted by: LS.
i read that he was supposedly being groomed as the successor to jean todt,

fuckin hell, ferrari will be stood outside the FIA headquarters more often than the postman!!!!! :-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 19, 2002 12:11PM
Posted by: Vader
He has already refused to follow up Jean Twat. Besides, there have been such rumours since 2000. I don't believe it.
MS retires and Häkkinen comes back? This is too good to be true.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy