Villeneuve's future?

Posted by chris 
Villeneuve's future?
Date: April 21, 2002 12:16PM
Posted by: chris
It seems more likely each day that he will leave BAR this year. I can't see him staying...so where would he realistically go?

Or where would you like him to go?

Chris J
Re: Villeneuve's future?
Date: April 21, 2002 07:08PM
Posted by: Zcott
Ideally Williams...but perhaps Renault.
Date: April 22, 2002 05:34AM
Posted by: Boils
Id like to see Villeneuve in a winning car again,

i think he could get a drive in a Renault, maybe they'll be winning races by the time Villenueve leaves BAR

chances of him going to Ferrari, McLaren or going back to Williams seem unlikely
Date: April 22, 2002 05:47AM
Posted by: Castroneves
I think that in the end he will end up at Renault in a swap for Jensen Button,
Villeneuve will either go to BAR for another year or Renault

Date: April 22, 2002 07:35AM
I think he'll go to Renault too, he certainly won't stay with BAR. Maybe toyota?

Chris J
Date: April 22, 2002 08:42AM
I don't see him going to Toyota, that'd just be going backwards.

I don't think Renault would swap him with Button - you have to say that Button is really driving wonderfully this year. And Flavio is currently trying to get him to sign a 2 year contract with Renault.
Date: April 22, 2002 01:16PM
Posted by: _Alex_
I don't see him going to Toyota, that'd just be going backwards

Totally agree - although I can't see the guy going anywhere forwards in the near future! I would like to see him doing well again, but to be honest, I don't think he's as good as many think he is. If he was, he'd have that BAR higher up on the grid than he does now.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: April 22, 2002 01:32PM
Posted by: Morbid
The reason why JV had such a strong period was because he came from the american racing tradition. They have lots of ovals there, and if you want to get the best out of an oval, you have to set the car up asymetrically. Otherwise you will grind the outside tyres down much quicker than the inside tyres, and you will also suffer because you do not extract the best out of the undercar downforce. The art of the asymetrical setup was common knowledge in Nascar, IRL and Cart when JV went to F1, and he took that knowledge with him.

At that point in time, none of the F1 teams used asymetrical setups, and over the next couple of years, JV showed them how to do this. Meanwhile, he enjoyed a huge competitive advantage because of his superior setup knowledge. Gradually the knowledge of setting the car up asymetrically spread to his engineers, then his teammate and from here to other teams. Slowly but surely, JV's big trick became something everyone knew and used, thus in effect he was racing without his former advantage. Thats why he isn't as fast today, compared to the rest of the field, as he was when he won the champs.

I don't ever think we will see JV as an F1 champ again, but I don't think that the results he is getting at BAR reflect the actual skill he has. Being discontented for long periods of time tend to make drivers lose focus and hence slow down. Sad thing really...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 22, 2002 01:50PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

"Being discontented for long periods of time tend to make drivers lose focus and hence slow down."

Mkika did it during races!! He was low down and wouldnt even bother fighting! Wurz was another. He impressed me at the start, but being stuck in the mid-filed kinda got to him i think

De la Rosa
Irvine

they are tow greta drivers, who both have this problem

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 23, 2002 01:03AM
Maybe being back in a top team could re-motivate him, injuring his back at Melbourne 2001 wont help though
Date: April 23, 2002 11:17AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Yeah, he is very talented, theres no denying it, 2nd in first season, won it the next. But he really doesnt seem motivated at the mo. I reckon, given a williams/ mc laren/ renault he could be challenging for race wins and maybe the world championship

Date: April 23, 2002 02:34PM
Posted by: Mark
jv didn't have to go or even stay with bar,but he has a stake in the company so it is money related,he could of gone to a top team but he chose to re sign with bar so in effect he was putting money first,we would all like to see him at the front,but he didn't have to be where he is now,he knew bar were crap so he didn't have to re sign.he could of got out,besides he doesn't always get the better of his team mate
Date: April 24, 2002 12:27AM
Panis IS a very fast driver, but he has'nt had the chance to prove it.

Chris J
Date: April 24, 2002 03:55AM
Posted by: tost
in my opinion BAR is one (if not the only) team for witch will jv drive, why?

1. Ferrari - no way
2. McLaren - Ron Dennis doesn't like jv
3. Williams - has two yunger great drivers rs i jpm (rs is one who can go - but the contract is set to last to the end of 03.) Mr. F. will be fool to sack jpm.
4. Renault - no. they have jb (the new ms in my opinion), and great qualifaing man jt.
ohter teams dont have the money or cars to hire jv, but...

Richard told at press that thay have exeptional drivers but can't develop the cars with them becouse they are to expensive... so he will have to leave if he wan to race in f1... only one team comes to mind...

Toyota!!!

shurly it is step back, but is in the right directon. why?

They have the mony to put ther cars whare thy wont them and to pay jv. In my opinion jv is better racer then ms (mikka salo), and salo is doing great tings with toyota at the first year in f1 (for toyota offcourse).

but if i have to bet i would bet on jv staing in BAR.

sorry on mistakes - english isn't my motherlanquage so bare with me

Senna the Man... the King... the God!
Date: April 24, 2002 04:26AM
This is from an interview with Flavio Briatore

And what about the future? What will the years ahead bring, both in terms of drivers and results? To win a championship, Renault needs a champion driver. Are you thinking of bringing Villeneuve into the team?

At the minute, I would prefer Panis! If you look at his performance, it stands up well against Villeneuve's. Our two drivers can do the job - Jarno and Jenson are at the same level as Jacques. I don't see the point in going out shopping if I've already got what I need at home.

i guess that settles the JV to Renault discussion
Date: April 24, 2002 06:08AM
Posted by: bazza
What if Frank Williams decides he wants Jenson back to replace JPM or RS?

Bazza

Date: April 24, 2002 09:49AM
JV would not go to Toyota, no matter how much money they offered him.

He's approaching the end of his F1 career soon. I don't think he'll be around for too much longer. And to go to a new team and develop it all up like he has done with BAR would be just taking a step backwards.

I think he'd go for a more competitive seat which offered less money than Toyota.
Date: April 24, 2002 10:41AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
- he might even go back to Cart . Hope not though, and i doubt it very much

Date: April 24, 2002 01:40PM
Also, Panis is doing a great job against JV because JV is horribly unmotivated. Give him a great car and he'd blow Panis away.
Date: April 24, 2002 01:53PM
I agree with Zcott. JV says he's motivated, but you only have to look at him to realise he's lying, how can an ex WDC be happy with a midfield position when he is better than that?
I think he's extremely talented. He's no Michael Schumacher, but he's definately better than some top team drivers I could name (*cough* DC *cough* 'this is his year? Wasnt last year?' Oh sorry he IS talented isnt he? Outperformed by his teamate? poor guy. He's no WDC)

Chris J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy