2010 Formula 1™ Malaysian GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
2010 Formula 1™ Malaysian GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: March 30, 2010 10:39PM
Posted by: raulongo
2010 FORMULA 1™ MALAYSIAN GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Although Malaysia didn't join the F1 calendar till 1999, FIA-sanctioned racing has been held in Malaysia since the 1960s. Races were originally held in Singapore which was then part of the Malaysian Federation, later they were held at the Shah Alam circuit.

The Malaysian Grand Prix as we know it today has always been held at the new Sepang International Circuit, a track that has offered its fair share of racing spice. Most of the dramas, however, have been down to the weather; hot and humid sunshine quickly giving way to torrential tropical storms.

The first event in 1999 marked a return to racing for Michael Schumacher, who had broken his leg at the British Grand Prix earlier in the season. He proved his fitness by putting his Ferrari on pole and finishing second - the race was won by team mate Eddie Irvine, a win that was to be his last in F1. In 2001 the race was hit by a massive storm - the two Ferraris of Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello spun out at the same corner, but such was the speed of the pair that they went onto record a 1-2 for the team. In 2008 the Sepang management announced their desire to become a night race in 2009, but plans were shelved and the race was moved to a late afternoon start-time. However, rain forced the race to be stopped on lap 33. Despite the rain easing, the race could not be restarted because it had become too dark. Grand Prix Drivers Association (GPDA) director Mark Webber said, "It's dark now at seven o'clock so it was the right call not to make the re-start." The result was declared as the results stood at the end of lap 31 and as less than 75% of the race had been completed only half points were awarded to the top eight. For 2010 the race will start an hour earlier in order to avoid the same issue.

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 10:55AM by raulongo.
This track has actually grown on me over the years, so it will be interesting to see how the new regulations go on this track.

Of course, with the chance of thunderstorms, anything could happen ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Malaysian GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: March 31, 2010 06:41PM
Posted by: marcl
I fully expect Vettel on pole but the win will be Alonso.

I expect Mclaren to go better than they thought they would due to the long straights and their straight line speed advantage.

So I think its between Rbr, Ferrari and Mclaren with Merc just behind them.

If it rains maybe we will see MS produce a great result but there are other drivers more than capable now of driving well in the rain.

I hope its a good race.
Date: March 31, 2010 07:14PM
Posted by: EC83
Looking forward to this one, and hope the rain will feature, but in a 2001 kind of way rather than a 2009 kind of way. The start time is earlier enough this year that if it cloudbursts at the same time again this year, it won't really affect the race.

Think RedBull and Ferrari will be fastest by a small margin, with Macca and Merc next up. The RBR drivers need to start scoring heavily soon for Championship reasons of course.

Date: March 31, 2010 07:17PM
Posted by: chet
I think this should be the most competitive track for Mclaren so far.

And Button goes very well here, one of his best tracks IMO, so I am going to say the win is between Vettel, Lewis and Button regardless of the weather.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
yeah Ed I agree I also like this track. hopefully we will see some rain to spice things up a bit, but like EC83 said in a 2001 sort of way
Various Twits have reported torrential rain at 15:00 tuesday, 16:00 yesterday, and 17:30 today (all local time). Quali and the race are starting at 16:00, so the odds for a repeat of 2001 are high :)

senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Various Twits have reported torrential rain at
> 15:00 tuesday, 16:00 yesterday, and 17:30 today
> (all local time). Quali and the race are starting
> at 16:00, so the odds for a repeat of 2001 are
> high :)

Also, some of the photos tweeted by David Croft and Virgin Racing show Huge amounts of rain.. sadly I think it might be rain in the style of 2009...

2013 - Nando must come through..
we could get a Brazil 2009 qualifying as well. i'm not sure if it will be light enough to start it again after a downpour though.

X (@ed24f1)
cool looking foward to this race, should be good if theres rain! Im expecting vettel will a pole and win this time with the ferraris close behind!

Free Practise 1 Streaming Link: Free Practise 1 Free Stream

Backup: Free Practise 1 Backup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 04:05AM by Bigbrother.
I read from the F1 website that Red Bull has to move their rearview mirrors inboard? Does the mean it'll be shifted closer to the driver? Sort of like what McLaren has?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 05:49AM by WestPunx.
WestPunx Wrote:
> I read from the F1 website that Red Bull has to
> move their rearview mirrors inboard? Does the mean
> it'll be shifted closer to the driver? Sort of
> like what McLaren has?

Its not just Red Bull - Ferrari and many others have to do it too. It just means it must be connected to the monocoque, not the sidepods or sidepod wings, i believe.

Also, Webber has just broken down in FP2...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 02, 2010 09:09AM
Posted by: gav
And apparently it's an engine problem. :(

Vettel had brake issues in FP1 and has been complaining about the power steering in FP2. Red Bull's pre-season reliability issues are certainly carrying themselves over into the season proper.
Date: April 02, 2010 09:12AM
Posted by: msater
SchueyFan Wrote:
> WestPunx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read from the F1 website that Red Bull has to
> > move their rearview mirrors inboard? Does the
> mean
> > it'll be shifted closer to the driver? Sort of
> > like what McLaren has?
>
> Its not just Red Bull - Ferrari and many others
> have to do it too. It just means it must be
> connected to the monocoque, not the sidepods or
> sidepod wings, i believe.
>
>
> Also, Webber has just broken down in FP2...

Horner says it might be an engine problem...not good.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: April 02, 2010 10:28AM
Posted by: chet
I dont know what Vettel was on about with his power-steering, the next lap he went second quickest :s! But yeah RedBull again failing to provide a reliable car, but at least in FP rather than the race I suppose. Still, the RedBull looked by far the most planted car on track imo. It just looked so easy to drive and theres no doubting that car had at least 100kg at all times.

This weekend Ferrari do not look as confortable as Bahrain or Melbourne but ill be supprised if they are not in the top4 in qualifying. Mclaren seem to be okay again but it certain that they and Merc were more bothered about closing the gap to the RedBulls and Ferraris in qualifying so undoubtably were lighter for most of both sessions. Button not as confortable as Melbourne, generally 1 tenth down on Lewis each sector but should be fixed. Interestingly his speedtrap time's from FP1 to FP2 dropped. Will look at longer run lap times when available but good to see Mclaren in a generally okay posistion again. I still think regardless of weather race win is between Lewis and Vettel, gonna scratch Button from earlier prediction. Though he can make up the gap to Lewis, in Qualifying he will still be 1-2tenths down at least.

I hope it can stay dry because I think we need a real good gauge on how the new rules are going to work. Malaysia is a much better track than Bahrain in every way, and as some of us will hate to admit, its a pretty damn good race track and should provide a spectacle. Never failed to in the past...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
No offense but whenever adrian newey design an f1 car it gives a major realibility issues both engine and mechanical, and im getting to think than although adrian is a very good race car designer... he have his own disadvanatge or so called curse to me... of always having a major realibility issues on which ever race car he design for the rest of his career most notable on his mclaren days...

Also if all teams like redbull and ferrar have to move their side mirrors in inner side of their car... don't you think fia will allow to bring back the old design mirrors of ferrari which extends the mirror and was introduced in their f248 car.. because it does look pretty and i think one thing that boost the performance of their car?

Date: April 02, 2010 11:52AM
Posted by: gav
micky-cannonball
No offense but whenever adrian newey design an f1 car it gives a major realibility issues both engine and mechanical, and im getting to think than although adrian is a very good race car designer... he have his own disadvanatge or so called curse to me... of always having a major realibility issues on which ever race car he design for the rest of his career most notable on his mclaren days...

It's hardly a new theory that Newey designs cars which are packaged so tight they cause issues elsewhere. It's been the same all the way through his time in F1. The only truly reliable cars he's designed have been the FW14B and the MP4/17D, though the MP4/13 wasn't exactly unreliable. He doesn't allow for compromise anywhere in the design, and more often than not, it costs his teams results.
micky-cannonball Wrote:
> Also if all teams like redbull and ferrar have to
> move their side mirrors in inner side of their
> car... don't you think fia will allow to bring
> back the old design mirrors of ferrari which
> extends the mirror and was introduced in their
> f248 car.. because it does look pretty and i think
> one thing that boost the performance of their car?

The F248 Mirror was a wing mirror, so I think that will be banned.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy