NICO ROSBERG RETIRES FROM F1 (NO JOKE!!)

Posted by madotter 
NICO ROSBERG RETIRES FROM F1 (NO JOKE!!)
Date: December 02, 2016 02:48PM
Posted by: madotter

[www.youtube.com] Nico starts at 5:00

Rosberg made the announcement at a press conference ahead of the FIA prize giving in Vienna where he is due to be presented with the championship trophy. He made clear that after achieving his childhood dream of being crowned champion, he wanted to spend more time with his family away from the pressures of Formula One, saying he "could not go through that again".

ESPNF1 SKYSPORTS

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 03:42PM by madotter.
Re: NICO ROSBERG RETIRES FROM F1 (NO JOKE!!)
Date: December 02, 2016 02:58PM
Posted by: Morbid
I saw the facebook update. I can't believe it. :-o

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 02, 2016 03:16PM
Posted by: EC83
Holy crap...!! Just 12 hours ago I was speculating how he might go on and win more titles... Oh dear.

I guess he wants to retire while he's at the top, has had a longish run in F1 already(although he's still very young) and feels he's had enough of the pressure of fighting for the title in a top team - but I'm guessing family must be the overriding factor.

Stunned!! If Jenson's retirement could be seen coming a mile off, this is the absolute opposite.

Date: December 02, 2016 03:25PM
Posted by: madotter
"I pushed like crazy in all directions. I want to thank everyone who was involved, my family ... a lot of sacrifices. My wife, for example, at home; every time I was home, she understood that I needed to rest so I never did any nights, I didn't' have to take after my daughter. Didn't do any nights, didn't did any difficult things, she was always there to support and make everything possible.

"That's one example of the commitment we all put into it. I've achieved this childhood dream and I'm not willing to do that sort of commitment for another year, and I'm not interested in coming fourth or whatever, I'm a fighter and I want to win. So I'm not interested to do that again so I've decided to follow my heart and my heart has told me to stop there and call it a day, do other things. It's been wonderful, it just feels right to me, I'm very, very excited. My wife Vivian is very excited to have her husband back and I'm going to be dad again, which is going to be wonderful, so thanks very much for your support all these years. I'm cherishing the moment, it's absolutely awesome, all these experiences now, to share the success with all of you and with all the other people, it's been phenomenal."

As a husband and a father myself, I respect that.

Thanks,
Iain.
Date: December 02, 2016 03:50PM
Posted by: EC83
Top driver and top man.

Date: December 02, 2016 04:02PM
Posted by: gav
I totally forecast this.

Nobody wrote ever.

Webber did say at the weekend that when they were teammates at Williams that Rosberg came up to him and said "I don't think I can do this" regarding the media attention and pressure of F1, so I guess now he's got what he came for he's happy to quit.

I expected one of them to leave Mercedes at the end of 2017, but nobody saw that coming.

I wonder if he'll do something else eventually, such as endurance racing or DTM. He may have quit, and suddenly even by his standards I guess, but that's a hell of an itch that will be hard to scratch.
Date: December 02, 2016 08:20PM
Posted by: gav
It should be manditory in such situations to force the replacement driver to run as 0 next season.
Date: December 02, 2016 09:13PM
Posted by: J i m
Wow... I genuinely thought my girlfriend was on the windup when she told me.

Still... In retrospect it does kind of make sense and what a way to retire, as world champion!

I wouldn't be surprised if Nico disappeared from the F1 scene for a while now and went to university.

Date: December 02, 2016 10:02PM
Posted by: thestig88
All the best Nico! What a man, husband and father!
Date: December 03, 2016 01:12AM
Posted by: n00binio
gav schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It should be manditory in such situations to force
> the replacement driver to run as 0 next season.

This! I want to see a #0 car next season. It adds a special touch to the situation.

Surprising decision in general but understandable.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: December 03, 2016 12:07PM
Posted by: Vader
Way to go!

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 03, 2016 01:55PM
Posted by: Laton
Now that this has sunk in, I did think there was something strange about his body language, facial expression and general demeanour on the podium last week. I've just re-watched it and in hindsight it's there, plain as day, he's finished. He's done. He wasn't celebrating much and he seemed more relieved than he was happy. This is also why he gave a long rambling answer as to whether or not he would use #1 or #6 - he knew fine well he wasn't going to be here anyway.

I do relate to this as I have a similar mental attitute to challenges and undertakings. On sim racers for example, when I have won the championship on a particular game I won't go back to it. I rarely re-read books. I don't see the point in competing to complete, which is what he would be doing if he went back. He knows he's not going to win it again and racing for a few more years proves nothing.

He has made the correct decision. He has achieved something great and it is not going to be sullied by a dip in form. He draws a line under it, and moves on to something else.

Adios!

If I were Merc I'd be on the phone to Paul di Resta before just chucking Pascal in that car, but that's just me.
Date: December 04, 2016 08:18PM
Posted by: Laton
Or Vandoorne.
Date: December 06, 2016 12:43AM
Posted by: phatdaddy
Why not Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi?

Date: December 06, 2016 09:32AM
Posted by: J i m
Apparently Niki Lsuda has taken this all rather badly. Maybe Nico ought to have pulled up and walked away with immediate effect during a practice session ;)

Mind you, I guess he did leave them in somewhat of a predicament.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy