The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: January 28, 2014 03:58PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Really? I think the Force India is probably up there as one of the worse cars. The Caterham takes the biscuit though.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 28, 2014 04:04PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
The Force India would look incredible if someone just cut its privates off!

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: January 28, 2014 05:09PM
Posted by: J i m
Well... from the limited pics I've seen today... the Merc is easily the least offensive asthethics wise, the Caterham is achingly ugly, the Ferrari doesn't look as slick as it seemed to me in the prom shots, the STR is fugly, the Williams looks okayish and the Findia is the worst clusterfuck since the ING Renault.

Date: January 28, 2014 07:12PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
That Caterham... easily the ugliest F1 car ever produced in my lifetime - terribly bland livery does no favours, either! (N) (N) (N) (N)

Random commenter, can't help but agree with him: "I am no aero engineer but the front portion of the nose/tub which is angled down front to rear must be producing a up-force? Can't see it working (which means it's probably going to be stunningly successful) to me?"

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: January 28, 2014 08:04PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
gareth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm expecting
> good things from Caterham

Gareth, please never say that again, seems like you jinxed it ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: January 28, 2014 08:08PM
Posted by: Isaint
Whaaaah !! The Caterham looks fantastic ......;) Take me out and shoot me now!, I'm babbling!

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: January 28, 2014 08:23PM
Posted by: gav
I read today that Newey said they'd be testing several different nose jobs throughout testing, so I'm not settling on Red Bull's relatively neutral look yet.

While most aren't pretty by a long way, I do love that there are almost as many nose configurations as there are cars.
Date: January 28, 2014 09:13PM
Posted by: Vader
Just a quick reminder, this is about designing the fastest car and not winning an effing beauty pageant. We should rather appreciate that this is the first time in years, nah DECADES that teams come up with radically new and different solutions. I'm sure all these top notch engineers will know what they are doing - form follows function, the 101 of designing things properly.

Maybe these radically new and different approaches will lead to way more action on the track than banning fueling, DRS and KERS could ever add to it. I never judge a book by its cover. Let's just cut them some slack and wait how the season turns out to be. Now let's just hope they can walk the talk.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 28, 2014 09:36PM
Posted by: Laton

Ummmmmmm.....
Date: January 28, 2014 10:51PM
Posted by: Vader
So what's your experience with designing F1 cars?

I became a fan in the mid 70s and I've seen lots of cars way more ugly ... but FAST.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 28, 2014 11:32PM
Posted by: thestig88
I wonder if FOM will even bother utilising the nose onboard cameras? (we all know how they don't like to vary the angles much!) quite looking forward to #dildovision
Date: January 29, 2014 12:07AM
Posted by: Frantic
smoglessbutton4 Wrote:
> That Caterham... easily the ugliest F1 car ever
> produced in my lifetime - terribly bland livery
> does no favours, either! (N) (N) (N) (N)
>
> Random commenter, can't help but agree with him:
> "I am no aero engineer but the front portion of
> the nose/tub which is angled down front to rear
> must be producing a up-force? Can't see it working
> (which means it's probably going to be stunningly
> successful) to me?"

well, this became champion in 1979 (similar nose concept in some way, isn´t it?)

but also an evolved and faster version of that made 1980 the worst season for Ferrari ever, with a 5th place as best result and only 8 points and a 10th place in the constructors championship...

as Vader said it is a competition to see who is faster, not prettier. if that works then it ain´t so ugly!

Date: January 29, 2014 01:13AM
Posted by: flat tyre
Vader - it just goes to show how image-obsessed modern people are. I can hold myself guilty to that.

Frantic - That's a good comparison, actually. But I wonder how many people will be hoping for what happened to Ferrari in 1980 to happen to Red Bull this year? ;) can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind another year of Red Bull stealing the show, so Ricciardo can throw a spanner in the works...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 29, 2014 04:00AM
Posted by: EC83
The Caterham actually looks pretty cool. Like how they've gone a different way with the design, and it's the second prettiest nose so far after the Mercedes IMO.

LOL at that Ann Summers tweet, that's genius. Now I want to see the extreme tip of that STR nose painted white for a laugh.

The one I really can't stand is the Lotus. It looks like its DNA has suffered a catastrophic mutation. Just wrong.

Date: January 29, 2014 05:11AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Well we have something good at least. The engines scream the most beautiful note in 8 years (or more, depending on your taste). Shame they aren't so powerful but our little buddy Turbo Lag will test who can floor the car successfully.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: January 29, 2014 08:26AM
Posted by: gav
It's a relatively small turbo though, isn't it, so lag itself shouldn't be too much of an issue? It's more the torque which will catch them out. They're using ERS to smooth out the torque curve too, so you don't get all the power in a big lump.

I agree on the noise though. This'll be something else when you've got 22 cars launching off the grid, if they make it that far.*

* You can decide whether I'm thinking reliability or Lotus.
Date: January 29, 2014 09:33PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL

I absolutely love this car from every angle. Best 2014 car imo.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: January 29, 2014 10:25PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I've got to admit, the McLaren looks like it came straight from Batman, hehe.

Who wants some ear candy...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 30, 2014 01:03AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
smoglessbutton4 Wrote:
>
> Random commenter, can't help but agree with him:
> "I am no aero engineer but the front portion of
> the nose/tub which is angled down front to rear
> must be producing a up-force? Can't see it working
> (which means it's probably going to be stunningly
> successful) to me?"

No, there's a slight "lump" on the bottom of the wedge section, which eliminates the effects of lift on the nose by creating a lower pressure environment underneath. Force India used it a few years back on the VJM04.

The one thing that worries me about that Caterham is NOT the nose section; that looks okay. However, the sidepods are very bulky, and other teams do appear to have packaged the whole rear end a lot more tightly.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 30, 2014 02:18AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I noticed that as well. The Force India and Toro Rosso are particularly well shaped in the coke bottle area.

My favourite in terms of looks os probably the Red Bull, with the Ferrari and Merc a close second and third.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy