Webber to leave Red Bull for Porsche

Posted by senninho 
Webber to leave Red Bull for Porsche
Date: June 27, 2013 10:42AM
Posted by: senninho
As rumoured quite a while ago, but it has now been confirmed that he will join their new LMP1 programme:

"It's an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team," said Webber.

"Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level.

"I'm very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sportscars in the world."

Source: Autosport.com, and Mark Himself judging by the quotes.

No comment from Red Bull just yet. I'm sure Vettel is more than a little pleased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 10:43AM by senninho.
Re: Webber to leave Red Bull for Porsche
Date: June 27, 2013 11:07AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
If it's not Ricciardo that'll take Webber's seat, I hope that it'll be Kimi - Someone who can take Sebastian down a peg.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: June 27, 2013 11:40AM
Posted by: J i m
If it's not either of the Toro Rosso drivers then it kind of makes a mockery of the whole Red Bull junior team thing.

I'm not convinced Kimi will want to go to Red Bull, since the Endtone team really do seem to "get him" and they leave him alone to be well.. Kimi. I'm not sure he'd prosper in the RBR environment especially alongside Vettel. And as good as Kimi is, don't forget that he didn't exactly dominate Massa at Ferrari.

Date: June 27, 2013 12:02PM
Posted by: Slasher
We will have to wait until Team Prinicipal Sebastien Vettel decides.

Should be one of the Torro Rosso drivers then.

Hope im wrong, but.....
Date: June 27, 2013 01:34PM
Posted by: vesuvius
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's not either of the Toro Rosso drivers then
> it kind of makes a mockery of the whole Red Bull
> junior team thing.
>
> I'm not convinced Kimi will want to go to Red
> Bull, since the Endtone team really do seem to
> "get him" and they leave him alone to be well..
> Kimi. I'm not sure he'd prosper in the RBR
> environment especially alongside Vettel. And as
> good as Kimi is, don't forget that he didn't
> exactly dominate Massa at Ferrari.

Kimi will choose either Lotus or RBR, environment at RBR is perfect for Kimi, they have similar relaxed environment to work on at like Lotus has. Ferrari+bridgestones were wrong environment for Kimi, it just didn't work as well as it could have...but RBR+Newey+Pirelli(Michelin) and things will work much better...a tough battle with Vettel would do great for both :)

sad to see Mark leaving, but all the best for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 01:35PM by vesuvius.
Date: June 30, 2013 09:45PM
Posted by: EC83
I get the impression Mark will actually be keen to leave F1 and do something different. He hasn't really seemed focused on his driving since he lost the 2010 title. Also the rivalry with Seb is something he won't miss.
It's weird, I didn't really like the guy when he drove for Jaguar, but over time I've grown to be quite a fan. Hopefully he enjoys racing for Porsche, but let's enjoy watching his last half-season in F1 first.

Date: July 01, 2013 03:21AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
He's definitely leaving at his peak like he always wanted.
How good was his drive last night!
If his start was better, he would've won easy.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 04:28AM by AUS_Doug.
Date: July 01, 2013 04:32AM
Posted by: EC83
He's capable of amazing things when he's in the zone - his drive at Interlagos in 2011, for example, was just brilliant. It's just a shame he hasn't been in the zone more often.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy