Penalties for Engine Changes etc.

Posted by Red Sam 
Penalties for Engine Changes etc.
Date: July 13, 2012 06:56PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Hi All

Having just read about the latest penalty for Romain Grosjean, for a gearbox change, I was wondering how fair it is that the driver is penalised for a car failure in this way.

Sooner or later, a championship will be decided based on penalties.

Why not, if a change has to take place outside of the rules, instead forefit a percentage of any constructor points that the car gains over that weekend. Maybe repeat offenders get a higher percentage.

That way, a constructor failure effects the constructor...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: Penalties for Engine Changes etc.
Date: July 14, 2012 01:37AM
Posted by: loren
I think it is a really stupid rule. Is the race even its own event now, or not? The idea that you can show up for a race with equipment that is perfectly legal to the technical regulations and be penalized because it isn't the exact same piece you used two weeks ago in another country is frankly bull****.

Better is the rule NASCAR uses: if you swap out any major part of the car after quali, you're not considered to be driving the same car you qualified, so your times are completely disallowed and you're sent all the way to the back.
Date: July 14, 2012 10:25AM
Posted by: vesuvius
I think it's wrong to give penalty for a driver, team should get the penalty instead. But it has been like this for years and I don't think it will change.
Date: July 14, 2012 02:29PM
Posted by: flat tyre
But you could argue that the driver has an advantage then, because they can abuse the gearbox more whereas other drivers trying to make it last two races will be using it more carefully.

I have no problem with the rule tbh, I don't think it does any harm and does more good than bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 14, 2012 03:13PM
Posted by: IWE
I think current engine, gearbox and tyre, etc rules don't fit for F1 at all.

In f1 point is or atleast it used to be for more than 50 years to drive fast as you can instead of saving tyres, engines and other parts in every single session.(N)

Btw how many years there is to go before we have just 1 engine and 1 gearbox for each season?(N)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 14, 2012 04:41PM
Posted by: Morbid
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In f1 point is or atleast it used to be for more
> than 50 years to drive fast as you can instead of
> saving tyres, engines and other parts in every
> single session.(N)

That is not true. You couldn't just trash your equipment back in the 50'ies and 60'ies. It would break many laps before the end of the race.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 14, 2012 10:04PM
Posted by: J i m
The reliability of modern F1 is pretty damed good and the penalty regs are designed to promote promote this.. So teams don't simply get into the habit of changing serviceable components.

For a industry which pushes the boundaries in technology precious little gets fed down into everyday stuff... But this will have to change.

F1 is now longer all about "build the biggest possible engine and go flat out" it's about engineering and strategy as much as it is wheel to wheel racing.

Date: July 18, 2012 04:16PM
Posted by: madotter
wheel to wheel racing.

Yeah, if you can use your tyres to their full potential - which in most cases you can't as the are now as delicate as a new born baby...
Date: July 18, 2012 05:14PM
Posted by: vesuvius
madotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wheel to wheel racing.
>
> Yeah, if you can use your tyres to their full
> potential - which in most cases you can't as the
> are now as delicate as a new born baby...

It is thanks to the current tyres we finally have some exciting races and wheel to wheel battles, everything else are just complaints from those who can't understand how to drive with them and they should just shut up and do their homeworks better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 05:15PM by vesuvius.
Date: July 18, 2012 06:38PM
Posted by: J i m
Actually the tyres themselves are really durable... They just have a narrow widow of peak grip & performance... Which is basically exactly what F1 asked of Pirelli.

Pirelli have been brilliant... Best addition to F1 in years and well done to the teams and f1 for being brave enough to nominate whacky tyres!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy