London GP

Posted by Taamaar 
London GP
Date: June 29, 2012 02:09AM
Posted by: Taamaar
Pit stop at the Palace: Billionaire F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone plans £35bn 200mph street race in London (but will superstar drivers have to pay the congestion charge?)

Plans for a grand prix on the streets of London will be unveiled tonight
Proposed 3.2-mile route would start outside Buckingham Palace and take in landmarks such as Nelson's Column and Piccadilly Circus
British racing stars Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are believed to have been involved in designing the circuit
Formula One chief Ecclestone is prepared to promote the race, which is expected to generate at least £100m from spectators and tourists

London GP

Sounds interesting if they eventually do a race
Re: London GP
Date: June 29, 2012 04:20AM
Posted by: mortal
A great place to have a race, some years off, if it happens.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 29, 2012 11:47AM
Posted by: J i m
It won't happen.

This is a overly elbaorate PR stunt. The interviews have been entirely scripted, it's obvious that the much vaunted CGI representation is rFactor or a similar game, and despite the insistence of everything being designed by the same architect who did the Silversrone revisions, driver input and simulator testing it's quite obvious that very little thought to racing has been given to that layout. It basically screams OMFG LANDMARKS!!!!

that corner at Admirlity arch would never be allowed and frankly I'd be astonished if London and the UK in general could ever be organised enough to pull such an event off.

The fact that that they think they could setup the circuit in 5 days is hilarious, Monaco takes months to do it. Plus the fact that Bernie says he'd pay for it starts to give the whole thing even less creditbility. He's trolling because he knows people are stupid enough to fall for it.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:55AM
Posted by: Morbid
Bernie does not want to go to jail, so he is baiting the British public with this HUGE carrot. That way, when Germany asks for Bernie to be handed over to face corruption charges, then large crowds will go "BOO!". That in turn will put pressure on the British authorities not to hand him over.

It is Rome, Circus Maximus and the plebs all over again.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 29, 2012 12:47PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I think it's a fantastic idea, and Bernie has called for London GPs in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if this did actually go ahead. But, like any race proposition, this isn't confirmation that it will actually happen, so I'll be waiting a bit longer before getting my hopes up. I couldn't care less what the motives are tbh, I think this could have a massive buzz if it does go ahead...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 29, 2012 01:50PM
Posted by: Isaint
I agree that the reality of this happening is non existent. Plus the state this country is in now, I can't see how they could even think of Committing to something of that scale. Bernie saying that he will pay for it tells you two things one, this country just can't afford it and two it's not going to happen because Bernie won't 'pay' for it.
I for one couldn't careless either way because such a venue would not interest me in the slightest + the first time a British driver doesn't win the whole of the west-end will be smashed to peices, so good luck on that Bernie.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: June 29, 2012 02:36PM
Posted by: J i m
I can see the appeal and it's definitely an attractive prospect. I was sceptical of Singapore before that became a reality and that turned out to be awesome.

But for London there are just far too many obstacles in the way. Firstly the polictics. Sure Bernie loves the ideas, as does the Mayor of London. But the idea already fell down before on money alone. Why should it be any different now? The presentation portrayed a night race, so that'd bump up the cost immediately. That's before we've even considered the actual condition of the proposed roads, the improvements and maintenance that would undoubtably be needed to the road surface, the alteration to traffic islands, the addition of armcoe/fence infrastructure, kerbs, pit lane infrastructure. Who's going to pay for all that? The tax payer? I don't think so, the government wouldn't even put a penny into the British Grand Prix so why spend millions on a London Grand Prix?

Then there's the environmental impact.. Could the historical monuments withstand the inherent vibration a Grand Prix would generate, would the London public tolerate the noise produced? Could the city afford the disruption?

Date: June 29, 2012 05:05PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Whilst the idea of cars roaring round the streets of london is a really attractive one, i too can't help but be skeptical. As said before the idea of cars going through admiralty arch is ridiculous, and it's also quite silly to think of the cars roaring round in front of buckingham palace and the peaceful parks and fountains that surround it. Not to mention the road there is pretty aweful and would require a major resurface.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: June 29, 2012 06:14PM
Posted by: matt3454
All the roads would need resurfacing for a grand prix. The track is uninspiring and crucially enough....

This was announced just hours after that german banker was jailed in the eccelstone bribery case. Coincidence? No. Just a massive cover up.

Date: June 29, 2012 07:20PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Health and Safety won't let this race happen...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: June 29, 2012 09:07PM
Posted by: EC83
Pure fantasy. A London GP has been suggested before once, think it was as an April Fools gag a few years back.

Date: June 29, 2012 09:13PM
Posted by: thestig88
won't happen! britain is rapidly becoming an anti-car nation in my opinion so like hell they'd have an event which promotes "street-racing" and "speeding"
Date: June 29, 2012 09:56PM
If it does go ahead, will the drivers have to pay the congestion charge? :-)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 09:58PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: June 29, 2012 10:04PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Onboard lap:
video: [www.youtube.com]

I'm terrified about that ridiculously narrow final turn. Catastrophe is written all over it.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 10:05PM by Carlitox.
Date: June 30, 2012 05:42PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
This was, according to a few people, just a PR stunt by Bernie to take the attention away from that bribery court case thing.

As the archway near the end points out - the whole thing is complete fantasy. It's a single-traffic-lane wide, narrower by far than the pit lane at Monaco.

Bernie wasn't even there to promote or answer questions - he was probably running at speed in the opposite direction.

It ain't happening.
Date: June 30, 2012 06:24PM
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was, according to a few people, just a PR
> stunt by Bernie to take the attention away from
> that bribery court case thing.
>
> As the archway near the end points out - the whole
> thing is complete fantasy. It's a
> single-traffic-lane wide, narrower by far than the
> pit lane at Monaco.
>
> Bernie wasn't even there to promote or answer
> questions - he was probably running at speed in
> the opposite direction.
>
>
>
>
> It ain't happening.

I seem to remember a similar layout on PGR4. Haven't played that in years...

Date: July 02, 2012 01:38AM
Posted by: mortal
rFactor? Wouldn't mind the track. Stack into the walls much.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy