2012 European Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 European Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: June 20, 2012 08:23PM
Posted by: gav
SchueyFan
I'm with Chet, I really think Grosjean could win a race this year, he's looked very good.

Oh, I think he could, but generally I don't think his race pace has been as consistent as Kimi's, and race craft certainly hasn't been as good as a Kimi we still haven't seen the best of yet, and I think with Ferrari now moving back towards the front (rather than somehow scraping their way up there), there are too many talented drivers for him to have a real chance. If we end up at a circuit where the Lotus is clearly the car to have (as it was in Bahrain), then he's got a solid chance, but other than that I can't see Grosjean winning. I certainly wouldn't be putting any of my money on it.

He's clearly far better than most were giving him credit for before the season started though.
Sure, but if you look at Canada, he could've won if he wasn't stuck behind a pack of slow cars at the start. If he can qualify on the front row or something, then he's a great chance. Particularly in 2012, when there are so many variables, I think there's a good chance it will work out for him one day, particularly as he showed in Canada he could manage his tyres well.

He actually has the best average finishing position of anyone in 2012. He's only had four finishes of course, but his average of 3.75 is well ahead of Hamilton in 2nd on 4.43.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 21, 2012 10:18AM
Posted by: danm
I rhino Nico or Lewis could be the first double winner this weekend.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 21, 2012 01:16PM
Posted by: Isaint
What I've noticed for a while now is the multiple 'spanners' that are thrown into the situation come race day.
At the beginning of the season you could more or less guess well, if a particular team has a good quali, they should certainly win or at least be within a shout.
The other thing is, looking at drivers form and their equipment, y'know like at the beginning we knew the Lotus looked good and Kimi seemed to have adapted quiet well so, a win was definitely on the cards for him.
However this has not been the case, the same can be said for Michael.
In retrospect, the Mclaren fans said the same thing for Lewis.... ' six races and six different winners and Lewis is not amongst them, he just has to be the seventh'. And he was.
Now we are looking at an eighth potential new victor .... Shumi? Grosjean? Massa?

The thing is, all is possible of course, as we have seen to date predictions are quiet useless. More important though I think that we have reached that 'window' where we may be seeing double winners now as opposed to newer ones and I guess when that starts happening then the Championship will become more and more decisive.
I'd love Shuey to take a win and keep the Championship obscure for a little longer but I fear, we may well be entering the zone of repeat wins and thus enabling a driver who ever that may be to put a serious mark down on the Champion stakes. Those drivers of course are Lewis, Fernando, Sebastian and Mark.

In any event, race day will, as previously mentioned, probably throw all that I've said out of the window and Shumi will take the win ...... I really hope so.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 01:23PM by Isaint.
I'm going to go back an Alonso win. He's on the case, and Ferrrari are starting to get in the mood.

I've lost hope in a Schumacher result, it just seems at every race where Merc is saying 'This track should suit our car' (China, Monaco, Canada) things go pear shaped for that particular car. I just hope Lulu dosen't take his 'uber speed' pills like he did in Canada. I've got no real reason to dislike the guy, but I'd like to see him endure two more 'hard' years before the success really kicks in for him, based soley on the way he entered F1 stright into a top car.

;)
Date: June 21, 2012 07:08PM
Posted by: chet
Razorsedge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got no real reason to
> dislike the guy, but I'd like to see him endure
> two more 'hard' years before the success really
> kicks in for him, based soley on the way he
> entered F1 stright into a top car.
>
> ;)

The fact that he was launched into a top car, and team straight away was justification for his talent. He challenged Alonso.

Again, karma, or whatever you want to call it has a way of levelling things out. Alonso had tough years, yet landed in a cracking car in 2005 and 2006. Button has had a tough career yet got the Brawn and now drives for a top team.

Lewis had the chance of championship success in 2007, 2008, and 2010. Other than that, 2009 was difficult, and 2011 was certainly not an easy year for him. Although he walked into a top team and car he has certainly not had it all his way, and I would tend to argue no other driver would have achieved more than he has with the equipment given.

I dont want to change the topic, but could you not argue the same point for Vettel? STR was hardly a tough year, the car was better than the factory team's attempt! After that he had a top car in 2009, then dominance in 2010 and 2011. This year the car is at least equal best too.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 21, 2012 09:41PM
Posted by: danm
Alonso is just a friggen grunt worker. In years to come, we will be seeing how greater he is than Schumacher as an out and out racer.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 21, 2012 09:50PM
Posted by: EC83
I think this is Alonso's best ever season so far in terms of sheer driving class. I just find myself admiring the dude.

Date: June 22, 2012 06:53PM
Posted by: marcl
For the past 3 years Alonso has been the best on the grid, getting a car much higher than it should be.

For me anyway I never counted MS as the greatest driver of all time anyway, yes the best in results but when you have a car/tyres etc built all around you then you should be able to get the results. Thats my view on it anyway.

If Alonso wins another few championships he will finally be counted as one of the greats.

I also think people are going on about MS far to much, has he looked like winning a race this year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 10:07PM by marcl.
Date: June 23, 2012 04:52PM
Posted by: IWE
marcl Wrote:
> I also think people are going on about MS far to
> much, has he looked like winning a race this year?

Way more than his team mate. This Gladstone Gander is just way luckier driver.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 23, 2012 07:19PM
I favour Shumacher and would have loved for him to come back and win. Simply because it's always great to see a comeback no matter the age. I have supported him since Senna died, through all his highs and lows and the much documented adverse publicity. Love or hate the man, he was the driver for me.
The thing is, I have to agree with Marcl. Despite all the hype and the aspirations of his fans, he really hasn't at any point looked like he had a race win in the 'bag'
There have been many underlining factors for his lack of point scoring this season, all of which we are all well aware of but the fact is, these results have in no way prohibited him from winning a race because the outcome in more favourable circumstances would have still remain speculative.

Whilst In my heart I believe that Mercedes have failed him more than the other way around, I have to concede that rosberg has got the very best out of the car.
I do believe that Schumacher can still hold his own against any driver on the grid today but for me, it was always his consistency as a driver that ultimately won through.
Unfortunately because of the 'Reg' changes and the two year learning curve leading up to the present day reliability issues that has not been possible to manifest itself through his best endeavours.

In conclusion I guess we as fans expected more, perhaps too much. In any event the season for him Championship wise is more or less over and with that so too a disappointing exit to a most glittering career ... but that would be up to him.

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: June 23, 2012 08:11PM
Posted by: Slash
Isaint Wrote:
> I favour Shumacher and would have loved for him to
> come back and win. Simply because it's always
> great to see a comeback no matter the age. I have
> supported him since Senna died, through all his
> highs and lows and the much documented adverse
> publicity. Love or hate the man, he was the driver
> for me.
> The thing is, I have to agree with Marcl. Despite
> all the hype and the aspirations of his fans, he
> really hasn't at any point looked like he had a
> race win in the 'bag'
> There have been many underlining factors for his
> lack of point scoring this season, all of which we
> are all well aware of but the fact is, these
> results have in no way prohibited him from winning
> a race because the outcome in more favourable
> circumstances would have still remain
> speculative.
>
> Whilst In my heart I believe that Mercedes have
> failed him more than the other way around, I have
> to concede that rosberg has got the very best out
> of the car.
> I do believe that Schumacher can still hold his
> own against any driver on the grid today but for
> me, it was always his consistency as a driver that
> ultimately won through.
> Unfortunately because of the 'Reg' changes and the
> two year learning curve leading up to the present
> day reliability issues that has not been possible
> to manifest itself through his best endeavours.
>
> In conclusion I guess we as fans expected more,
> perhaps too much. In any event the season for him
> Championship wise is more or less over and with
> that so too a disappointing exit to a most
> glittering career ... but that would be up to him.

i think it's the age factor, F1 nowadays you have to be consistently on the edge, consistently.

Michael still has it, we've all seen it, but.. he's not consistent enough, he can have a good qualy or he can have a decent one, with F1 as tight as it is nowadays that can mean 5 place difference.
sure other drivers experience it, but ironically not as consistently as Michael does.
Date: June 23, 2012 08:17PM
Slash Wrote:
> Isaint Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I favour Shumacher and would have loved for him
> to
> > come back and win. Simply because it's always
> > great to see a comeback no matter the age. I
> have
> > supported him since Senna died, through all his
> > highs and lows and the much documented adverse
> > publicity. Love or hate the man, he was the
> driver
> > for me.
> > The thing is, I have to agree with Marcl.
> Despite
> > all the hype and the aspirations of his fans,
> he
> > really hasn't at any point looked like he had a
> > race win in the 'bag'
> > There have been many underlining factors for
> his
> > lack of point scoring this season, all of which
> we
> > are all well aware of but the fact is, these
> > results have in no way prohibited him from
> winning
> > a race because the outcome in more favourable
> > circumstances would have still remain
> > speculative.
> >
> > Whilst In my heart I believe that Mercedes have
> > failed him more than the other way around, I
> have
> > to concede that rosberg has got the very best
> out
> > of the car.
> > I do believe that Schumacher can still hold his
> > own against any driver on the grid today but
> for
> > me, it was always his consistency as a driver
> that
> > ultimately won through.
> > Unfortunately because of the 'Reg' changes and
> the
> > two year learning curve leading up to the
> present
> > day reliability issues that has not been
> possible
> > to manifest itself through his best endeavours.
> >
> > In conclusion I guess we as fans expected more,
> > perhaps too much. In any event the season for
> him
> > Championship wise is more or less over and with
> > that so too a disappointing exit to a most
> > glittering career ... but that would be up to
> him.
>
> i think it's the age factor, F1 nowadays you have
> to be consistently on the edge, consistently.
>
> Michael still has it, we've all seen it, but..
> he's not consistent enough, he can have a good
> qualy or he can have a decent one, with F1 as
> tight as it is nowadays that can mean 5 place
> difference.
> sure other drivers experience it, but ironically
> not as consistently as Michael does.

+1

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: June 24, 2012 11:07AM
Posted by: gav
@SomersF1
Massa starts 13th and is 125/1, Webber starts 19th is 66/1 even the bookies think Massa ain't got a hope in hell ‪#F1‬

Despite him improving considerably recently, it says it all really. ;)
Well I imagine it does help that Webber's car was at least good enough for pole, unlike the Ferrari. ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 24, 2012 03:14PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Wooooo great race. WTF was that with Vettel? Transmission? Also what is Button playing at? Waaaay too slow.

Grow-John could win this if he can catch Nando :/
Date: June 24, 2012 03:19PM
Oh. Nevermind.
Date: June 24, 2012 03:52PM
Posted by: EC83
What a last few laps, and what a podium!! Woohoo!

Date: June 24, 2012 03:53PM
Best win of the season ... if he's not disqualified. Epic celebrations too!!

Hamilton ... not his fault on paper but what was he tryin to achieve by trying to prevent the obvious????
WOW what a exciting race after the saftey car. As mentioned also great celebration
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy