2012 Canadian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a feeling Mclaren will give Button a new
> car for the next race.

Yeah, I was saying after Monaco it might be time they found a 'crack' in the chassis.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: June 11, 2012 11:41AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
That was quite a tedious race by Montreal standards. No accidents? WTF.
DRS needs to @#$%& off. Far too easy to overtake - I was on the fence with it before but now I just hate it. Also it ruined MS race.

Button's pace is worrying, even more so when he seems at such a loss as to explain it. It was like he'd given up after Montreal. It's as if they've taken top gear off him.
DRS was too easy, but look at how easily Massa passed Rosberg on Lap 2 before DRS came in to see that there was always going to be plenty of overtaking down the back straight.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 11, 2012 12:34PM
Posted by: IWE
SchueyFan Wrote:
> DRS was too easy, but look at how easily Massa
> passed Rosberg on Lap 2 before DRS came in to see
> that there was always going to be plenty of
> overtaking down the back straight.

There would have been 1000 times more non-DRS-passing all over the track without DRS-straight being in so retarded place. Nearly no one even tried to pass anywhere else on the track because they knew they would just lose their place again thanks to DRS.

Schumacher passed some Sauber with nice kamikaze move and lost place on next straight thanks to DRS. At the end of the race Alonso was trying to give space to faster car before DRS-point so he could possibly try to pass again on DRS-straight but in that point of race no one was dumb enough to fall in to the trap.

In Monaco DRS was 100% useless and now it only ruined all the action. Actually this year DRS haven't really brought anything good till now. Most of overtaking happens anyway because of piss-poor tires and like now in Canada at the beginning of the race half of the grid were driving behind each others with activated DRS and nearly no one was able to overtake but when some drivers started to lose their tires it was impossible to even try to defend your position thanks to DRS.

But in Valencia everyone will be again thanking god for DRS even existing as we visit again on most worse circuit of the calendar. FIA should start to think if DRS should be in use only on few specific tracks or at least they have to re-think DRS-locations for most of tracks.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 12:37PM by IWE.
DRS must be put off the F1. you cannot have both DRS and timed-lasting tires on the same race. Overtaking became the least entertaining part of the sport. if it's not DRS it's because the one ahead finished tires.
Lost sense even trying to defend the position because is impossible and because it ruins the friggin tires. just wait the next DRS zone. baahh...

-------------------------------
I don't think having DRS on only certain tracks will work, as it will mean the teams have to change their aero packages every race.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 11, 2012 06:39PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> I don't think having DRS on only certain tracks
> will work, as it will mean the teams have to
> change their aero packages every race.

They change aero packages all the time anyway.

DRS could be removed totally and instead just showing blue flags to everyone who is not having more than ½ second difference to guy behind.. Works same way as DRS (means this so called "racing" would still be as artificial as it is now), it would even remove some safety risks (stuck DRS for example) and upgrading aero packages would become easier. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: June 11, 2012 06:48PM
Posted by: Isaint
IWE Wrote:
> SchueyFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't think having DRS on only certain tracks
> > will work, as it will mean the teams have to
> > change their aero packages every race.
>
>
> They change aero packages all the time anyway.
>
>
> DRS could be removed totally and instead just
> showing blue flags to everyone who is not having
> more than ½ second difference to guy behind..
> Works same way as DRS (means this so called
> "racing" would still be as artificial as it is
> now), it would even remove some safety risks
> (stuck DRS for example) and upgrading aero
> packages would become easier. ;)

+1 not to mention K.E.R.S catching fire in the pits and drivers getting electrocuted by them..... Seems the cars are going slower and the drivers are in even more danger.
I don’t know what the F.I.A is waiting for..... Maybe a big DRS accident (God forbid) just to add a little more entertainment value to this farce that F1 has become.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 07:26PM by Isaint.
Date: June 11, 2012 08:42PM
Posted by: chet
IWE Wrote:
> SchueyFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't think having DRS on only certain tracks
> > will work, as it will mean the teams have to
> > change their aero packages every race.
>
>
> They change aero packages all the time anyway.

That's not the case for rear wings.

You'll find team's have specific rear wings for a set number of tracks. Ok, maybe Canada and Monza are individual but in the other cases, you might find a Monaco rear wing being run at Singapore perhaps? The rear wings and profiles take time to optimise with the rest of the system of the car. The car's balance (centre of pressure) is governed by the front wing... Then at the track mechanical changes and small front wing changes are what dictate setup time (for the most part). The aerodynamic platform does not change all that much.

Think of it this way... Take any track, and and take a corner on that track. Then look at the cornering speed and tell me how many more similar corners there are on the calender? Answer is, a lot!

Certain tracks demand different things, like Valencia has long on throttle sections, Monza is dominated by acceleration zones. With an average track (i dont know what that is!) teams will tend to ramp all the downforce in the world, knowing in qualifying they can take it all off with DRS.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 11, 2012 08:46PM
Posted by: gav
chet
Think of it this way... Take any track, and and take a corner on that track. Then look at the cornering speed and tell me how many more similar corners there are on the calender? Answer is, a lot!

Wrong.

Answer: Tilke.
Date: June 11, 2012 08:53PM
Posted by: chet
;)!

I should have said that in the first place.

But yeah, most tracks are very similar these days.

A perfect example, Jenson Button in 2010 ran the same rear wing at Monza that he did at Canada and Spa I believe. Of course everyone else ran with specific wings but he proved by finishing 2nd that it wasn't really needed.

edit - And that was without DRS!

I was surprised last year to see teams running small rear wings last year but I guess at Monza overall a smaller wing is a better for the race when DRS is not always there. At other tracks with less time at top speed it doesn't matter as much?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 08:54PM by chet.
chet Wrote:
> ;)!
>
> I should have said that in the first place.
>
> But yeah, most tracks are very similar these days.
>
>
> A perfect example, Jenson Button in 2010 ran the
> same rear wing at Monza that he did at Canada and
> Spa I believe. Of course everyone else ran with
> specific wings but he proved by finishing 2nd that
> it wasn't really needed.
>
> edit - And that was without DRS!
>
> I was surprised last year to see teams running
> small rear wings last year but I guess at Monza
> overall a smaller wing is a better for the race
> when DRS is not always there. At other tracks with
> less time at top speed it doesn't matter as much?

He did have the F-Duct though...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: June 11, 2012 11:40PM
I just think there is too much crap now, KERS + DRS + TYRES = mess.

Tyres are amazing, keep them. I don't really mind the concept of KERS but DRS is just ruining it for me. Surely they must see this?

This combined with the recent theft of F1 by Sky makes me actually excited for the day Bernie pops his clogs. I'm sick of looking down at his greedy, dictatorial face. @#$%& shite.

Can you imagine if he gets his way with the circuit shortcuts, sprinklers and medals?

It's not a farce now but it is danger of it.

And the cars are too reliable, and there aren't enough accidents stemming from driver error.

Moan moan moan.
Date: June 12, 2012 12:06AM
Worst season ever!

(Most likely not so far from the truth) :(

Date: June 12, 2012 03:46AM
Posted by: matt3454
I like the concept of drs, but I think the zones need to be a lot smaller, so a driver who is side by side can a slight advantage when on a dirtier side. With all the marbles at the moment a driver on the dirty side will have to brake a lot earlier, a small drs zone may compensate this. Canada and belgium should hopefully compensate this. Id also like to see drs in a more tradtional place like the hairpin at canada or the bus stop at spa.

The only other way to promote overtaking would be to standardise the rear and floors of the cars so the rear end produces a cleaner slipstream for the car behind, but this would never (hopefully) happen as all the cars would look the same.

Date: June 12, 2012 02:29PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Worst season ever? LOLWUT. This season has been amazing. I really don't see the problem with DRS. Do people not remember how it was before?

Date: June 12, 2012 02:39PM
jbnd05 Wrote:
> Worst season ever? LOLWUT. This season has been
> amazing. I really don't see the problem with DRS.
> Do people not remember how it was before?

Yes I do remember. This season is pure lottery without talent counting at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 02:39PM by IWE.
Date: June 12, 2012 04:15PM
Posted by: EC83
loque Wrote:
> Moan moan moan.

This.
How come people seem to need something to complain about? This season has been all kinds of epic so far.

If talent doesn't count at all, how come Alonso is doing so well?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 12, 2012 06:16PM
EC83, it's inauthentic. I mentioned this at the start of the year. Maldonado should not be winning at Barcelona.

I'm just not convinced that what we're seeing is giving success to the best driver/car combo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy