2012 Bahrain Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: April 22, 2012 04:05PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
A great race to watch, with some fantastic performances throughout the field. Vettel, Kimi, Grosjean and Di Resta were all very impressive today.

However the whole Grand Prix has been overshadowed by the events that have been ongoing in Bahrain, and I fully agree with Ross Brawn’s comments that F1 needs to take a look at the decision it made in going there. It is certainly not the right kind of media attention that the sport needs.

One single positive that can be taken from F1’s presence is that it has focused attention on what is happening in Bahrain once again, and if that attention leads to greater international pressure being put on the Bahraini authorities then it can only be a good thing.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: April 22, 2012 05:39PM
Posted by: EC83
This season is starting to remind me of 1997. Massively close grids, a handful of top cars instead of just one or two, and every new track seems to mean a change in the order amongst the frontrunners - even when those tracks are Tilke tracks! (In fairness, there wasn't much of an influence from Tilke yet back then - so a similarly competitive season is that much harder to pull off now.)
I've dreamed of a similar season ever since - looks like we might have it now.

I'm reminded of Gav's comment about the season being likely to pick up once we get the first few Tilke tracks out the way and get onto the European tracks; The races on said tracks have been not too shabby IMO.
Think we're in for a belter of a season!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 05:45PM by EC83.
very interesting race. This year, the cars are very close on race/quali pace. impressed. Wonder what Rosberg will get since he was under investigation for the manoeuvers on Hamilton and Alonso. Best race in Bahrain since.... well, that was the first good race, (albeit in dubious circumstances aka, countries situation). so far, 2012 is looking very interesting.
Date: April 22, 2012 06:08PM
Posted by: marcl
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kimi didn't quite have enough in him. Stunning
> race by him though. Grosjean too to a lesser
> extent.
>
> Pretty woeful stuff from Webber and McLaren.
>
> Star of the race is probably di Resta though.
> Missed an entire session of race preparation, been
> through the mill and they're rewarded with a drive
> like that.
>
> Edit: Will be interesting to see if Hamilton and
> Rosberg get penalties. I can imagine Hamilton
> getting a penalty for overtaking off the track...
> I can't decide how dangerous Rosberg's defence
> against Alonso was though, and whether it's
> deserving of a penalty. To be honest, I don't know
> why they didn't just go for the outside - there's
> no excuse for overtaking off the track when
> there's a perfectly usable 15 metres on the other
> side.

They both had committed to going that side due to getting the inside for the next turn. Nico was a bit hard in my view, Alonso had time Lewis had already started the move so could not really back out it was the same as what ms done to him at Monza.

I think they will call it 50/50 as tbh it did not effect either of their races. There was no way lewis could hit the brakes on the sand, maybe he should have given the place back.

According to Alonso Nico had already forced Lewis off the road before what we saw.

Bit shocked Alonso got away with cutting out of the pits, you are not meant to cut back out like that. Well thats what I though anyway.

Was a good race to watch as people have said.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 06:28PM by marcl.
Date: April 22, 2012 06:11PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
I agree, I think (probably wrongly!) that Nico made 1 defensive move. He was very clear about it. It still didn't work against Lulu, but meh.

As others have said, this season is all about different surfaces and temps and how the relative designs of the cars meet those circumstances. It's so weird.....yet strangely I can't look away.
Date: April 22, 2012 06:32PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Rosberg was frankly quite dangerous and I think it deserves a penalty. These sort of dangerous defensive moves need to be stamped out before we have a massive accident. Rosberg's obviously learnt some tricks from his team-mate, what he did today was up there with Hungary 2010 in my opinion. Hamilton was also in the wrong to be honest, you can't pass someone on the run-off, but I can't see him getting more than a reprimand at the very most.

As for this season, I'm not sure how long this period of unpredictability will last. Even today, 9 of the top 10 were the big 5 teams, and they are probably going to get better with their higher budgets. However, even if it's just those 5 teams fighting for wins and podiums, that's not a bad thing! I still would put money on Vettel for the title though.

By the way, Webber was very disappointing today, back to his old ways. Hulkenberg and Ricciardo were pretty poor as well.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 06:34PM by SchueyFan.
Date: April 22, 2012 07:35PM
Posted by: matt3454
Vettel showed his class again today, webber was back to his 2011 form as well, 20 odd seconds off vettel.

Lotus threw this race away tbh, kimi spent too long behind grosjean and a lap too long before his last stop.

Date: April 22, 2012 07:37PM
Posted by: gav
None of the moves mentioned have been penalised.
Date: April 22, 2012 07:43PM
I'm inclined to agree that Nico's move on Alonso was out of order. On another track Alonso could've been in the wall. At best it was unintelligent and clumsy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 07:44PM by EC83.
Date: April 22, 2012 07:51PM
So we have learnt today you are ok to move like that and overtake off track :)

Tbh am pleased nothing was given out and all drivers got a chance to talk about what happened together.
Date: April 22, 2012 08:07PM
Posted by: senninho
Alonso's opinion on Twitter: "I think you are going to have fun in future races! You can defend position as you want and you can overtake outside the track! Enjoy!"

Date: April 22, 2012 10:19PM
According to DC on Twitter, the Stewards haven't made any decision yet and Nico is still speaking to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 10:19PM by EC83.
Date: April 22, 2012 10:50PM
Posted by: gav
He can't still be with the stewards. It's 7 hours after the race has finished!
Date: April 22, 2012 11:12PM
That was according to a Tweet he'd posted about 5 minutes earlier(58 mins ago). Maybe there's a delay on media coming out of Bahrain! :P

Date: April 22, 2012 11:46PM
What I don't understand is if Nico did not do anything wrong then Lewis should get a penalty for over taking off track. So some how its gone wrong as you cannot allow someone to pass another car off track if there is no reason to.
Date: April 22, 2012 11:51PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Where did Alonso say that Nico had already forced Lewis off the road?

Date: April 23, 2012 09:49AM
Posted by: chet
Nico not given penalty?

What a joke.

As marcl says, why havent Lewis and Alonso been given penalties then?

Bad racing by Nico, that wasn't defending, maybe he has learnt more of Schumacher than we thought ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 23, 2012 10:03AM
jbnd05 Wrote:
> Where did Alonso say that Nico had already forced
> Lewis off the road?

From Autosport.

"We'll have to see what the stewards say. I just tried to overtake and went off track. Here it's no problem because there's that extra bit of circuit on the sides, but he did it twice with Lewis [Hamilton] and with me. We'll see. We really need to look on the TV and whatever they decide will be good."

Just seen the Alonso one again and Alonso was already moving before Nico did, well it looks that way. Its actually worse than what he done to Lewis. Reminds me of the time MS put alonso on the grass at Silverstone.

As said though Lewis should have got a penalty and nothing, not even a fine just no mention of it at all.

Hats off to Lewis though he has not gone mad about the whole Nico think he has kept quiet about it. Looks like this year he is just getting on with his job.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 10:14AM by marcl.
let's discuss on schumacher's comments about the pirelli tyres. he was very critical about them tbh. what's your view on that
Date: April 23, 2012 05:49PM
Posted by: slider
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> let's discuss on schumacher's comments about the
> pirelli tyres. he was very critical about them
> tbh. what's your view on that

I think if Schumacher won the race convincingly, with Rosberg a distant 2nd, no mention would have been made of Pirelli tires. If a team like Lotus, with their tight budget, can figure out how to use the 2012 Pirelli tires, then the might of Mercedes have no excuse. Schumacher should first focus on why his team mate is quicker than him, and worry about tires when he's not cruising around at the back of the grid.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy