Lotus terminates Group Lotus title sponsorship deal

Posted by madotter 
Lotus terminates Group Lotus title sponsorship deal
Date: April 06, 2012 03:05PM
Posted by: madotter

Genii Capital says it is committed to retaining the Lotus name within F1 despite the end of the deal

Lotus has terminated its title sponsorship deal with Group Lotus but will continue to carry the name, Autosport reports.

The move comes as a result of the difficult financial position that Group Lotus is currently in, with the car manufacturer having recently been sold by Proton to DRB-Hicom. The Lotus team is owned by Genii Capital, and its owner Gerard Lopez said that all agreements with Group Lotus had been terminated.

"The sponsorship agreement and the obligations of Lotus have been terminated," Lopez told Autosport. "There is no option from Group Lotus to buy into F1 now - that option was taken over by us. There was one, but we have taken it over now."

See full story here - [en.espnf1.com]

Thanks,
Iain.
Re: Lotus terminates Group Lotus title sponsorship deal
Date: April 06, 2012 03:15PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
So it now has nothing to do with any Lotus, in any shape or form? May as well have let Caterham have the Lotus name then. Idiots.

May as well just call it the Genii.

I wish for Lotus brand name! Poof!
I wish for Kimi Raikkonen! Poof!

What's the next one going to be for? Elio de Angelis?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 03:17PM by loque.
Date: April 07, 2012 12:34AM
Posted by: Slash
laugh riot
Any ideas on what they will be named next?

I'm thinking Magnum GP

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Magnum is owned by Unilever, so if we suggest that they advertise a Magnum like Gold (but not Gold as it's disgusting) they can keep the existing colour scheme.

Unilever Logo (SVG)

And look what I found!

Vestel logo (If the Turkish GP was still on the calendar they should've tried to sponsor Vettel)

Magnum Gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 02:18PM by alexf1man.
Date: April 07, 2012 10:57PM
Posted by: EC83
So after 2 races Fake Lotus are stopping being any kind of Lotus. Much win.

they still will be Lotus, but without the sponsorship of Group Lotus. Dont know how finalized the issue with Tony Fernandes but if David Hunt gave the name rights to Genii they will continue to use it although now they will have no relation with Group Lotus. Is pretty much the same thing as since 1994 the brand Lotus is divided into the racing team (this) and the street car company

Date: April 10, 2012 05:30PM
Posted by: J i m
I'm pretty sure David Hunt had sold the naming rights of "Team Lotus" to Malaysia1 Racing or whatever the parent company is called. I always got the impression Caterham was bought because Tony was sick to the back teeth of the bickering about the Lotus brand.

Date: April 10, 2012 06:26PM
Posted by: IWE
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they still will be Lotus, but without the
> sponsorship of Group Lotus. Dont know how
> finalized the issue with Tony Fernandes but if
> David Hunt gave the name rights to Genii they will
> continue to use it although now they will have no
> relation with Group Lotus. Is pretty much the same
> thing as since 1994 the brand Lotus is divided
> into the racing team (this) and the street car
> company

Lotus is divided into racing team and car company already since 50's.

Now we have team called Lotus, which does not have anything to do with Team Lotus (or any other official Lotus racing team) or Group Lotus/Lotus Cars.

Lotus F1 Team is as close to Lotus toilet paper as it is to any other Lotus.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
So Lotus F1 Team will also be as soft and absorbent as the next leading brand?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 11, 2012 02:21AM
Posted by: loren
It sounds like all the racing programs are in jeopardy. Honestly, I really couldn't give a damn what they call the F1 team. Lotus no more constructs that car than I do. Its as bad as cycling now; half the teams change their names every year. However, I would be a bit sad if the Lotus Indycar program got cut before it has really even gotten going.
Date: April 11, 2012 01:04PM
Posted by: marcl
That chart does not show Lotus Pasific from what I can see.
Date: April 11, 2012 01:26PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
That chart does not show Lotus Pasific from what I can see.

It's on the far right of the image, splintered from David Hunt running the team in 1994.
Date: April 11, 2012 01:31PM
Posted by: marcl
Cheers, I could not see it probably my web browser.

Ive had enough of all this Lotus stuff tbh, they keep going in the news for all the wrong reasons.
Posted this in the Chinese GP thread, but it deserves to go here as well...

Tirade via Facebook by Lotus Cars, a corporation well and truly feeling the strain. [www.facebook.com]

It's pretty pathetic, isn't it...

...and then Sniff Petrol were let loose. [sniffpetrol.com]

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 07:56PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: April 12, 2012 08:25PM
Posted by: Slash
SNIFF PETROL
You can thank good old Tony Fernandes for these two. He is out to get us. He is. Last night we heard a noise outside and when we went to look there was no one there. We couldn’t see him but we know it was Tony Fernandes. He is like a fat fox. Perhaps he is frustrated because he owns a Formula 1 team instead of doing the smart thing and just giving his name to various racing teams and then realising he hasn’t got the money to pay for all this @#$%&.

And whilst we’re on the subject of jokes – do you know the latest F1 joke? My dog’s got a stepped nose. How does it smell? It doesn’t. It’s a Formula 1 car. Can someone explain this to us please?

Speaking of F1: It seems that one special so called ‘independent’ source is at the root of the lion’s share of damaging rumours and misleading stories. The delightful Joe Saward which leads us nicely to….

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Brilliant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy